New Buses Bring Silence to the Streets

Harry

Any New Yorker who has ridden a city bus might be forgiven for believing a banshee is buried under the floorboards. Engines idle at an alarmingly high volume, and acceleration is often accompanied by a symphony of cracks and snaps, the squeals of aging machinery with little eagerness to perform its assigned task.

So the newest addition to New York City’s formidable bus fleet — an experimental turbine hybrid known as the DesignLine — is notable mainly for a feature it does not have: noise.

“Quiet as a tomb,” declared Doreen M. Frasca, an appointee to the board of the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, who has taken the bus several times in the last month.

When the DesignLine stops short, or takes off from a light, there is little more than a low groan. An onboard air-conditioner usually drowns out any sound from the engine.

Read more: http://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/07/nyregion/07bus.html?_r=1

post-1-133288581232_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288581232_thumb.jpg

I've ridden on the bus twice and I still don't like these buses. These buses are too damn quiet. A bus is supposed to be loud as hell, making its presence known in the neighborhood. Plus the lack of room makes the Orion hybrids feel like a ballroom. I just can't get on the Designline bandwagon.

I've ridden on the bus twice and I still don't like these buses. These buses are too damn quiet. A bus is supposed to be loud as hell, making its presence known in the neighborhood. Plus the lack of room makes the Orion hybrids feel like a ballroom. I just can't get on the Designline bandwagon.

That's why I like the older trains! They're loud, just like how a train should be. When the trains come to a screeching halt, I can't help but to retain that sound until i hear it again. Have you ever rode the Arnines? You'll lose your hearing, but it's worth it cuz those trains haul you-know-what!!!

That's why I like the older trains! They're loud, just like how a train should be. When the trains come to a screeching halt, I can't help but to retain that sound until i hear it again. Have you ever rode the Arnines? You'll lose your hearing, but it's worth it cuz those trains haul you-know-what!!!

I've definately been on them, in fact I was on it Sunday late in the day and you are right. They are loud as hell and ride great the way a train is suppose to run and I feel the same way about a bus. I was on the phone during my lunch break last week or the week before and while I was talking, the Designline passed me by along 5th Ave on the M3 and I was just amazed at how I didn't even know it was coming until it had passed me. It was so quiet it was eerie. I usually like, even love new stuff that the TA orders but I can't ride with this one. I've tried but I can't. I'll take an O7 OG over these and I hate those buses too.

Not to take this off topic but, you may like older trains but crews don't, ever been in a freight engine like a SD40-2? Those things are loud as expletive. Then you go in a newer GEVO or SD70M-2 with the quiet cab and its much much nicer. You can actually here your self think. Same goes for NJ Transit the geeps and F40's as they are again loud as expletive, then you get in the cab of one of those PL42ac's and its quiet.

Yeah I like the older stuff as well but the public and the companies would rather have newer quieter and for the most part cleaner equipment running whether it be a bus,train, or plane.

They are loud as hell and ride great the way a train is suppose to run and I feel the same way about a bus.

I'm sure you also appreciate planes flying above your house every 3 minutes as well.

The public loves the new trains and new buses because of their quietness. Keep in mind that most people would rather listen to their iPods or read something on the bus rather than have a noise engine disrupt them.

I'm sure you also appreciate planes flying above your house every 3 minutes as well.

The public loves the new trains and new buses because of their quietness. Keep in mind that most people would rather listen to their iPods or read something on the bus rather than have a noise engine disrupt them.

Thank you. When I got my Skullcandies for my iPod, I couldn't listen to them without blasting the volume when on the older trains. When I take a ride and listen on the R160s, I'm able to listen to my iPod at a relatively low volume without having to compete with the A/C, tunnel or train noise. The only thing that's louder than the volume are the train stop/destination announcements.

That what the hearing aids are for. :P

Isn't the noise our ears endure what put us in the position for hearing aids? You should be attentive while walking the streets, especially in Manhattan.

It is very quiet and iy can be dangerous to pedestrians who are use to hearing loud buses who may be a victim of this stealth bus.Other tahn that I like em.The interior feels like being in a snuggie.

Cars are just about as quiet as the Designline but you don't hear new stories every day about how people "accidentally" walk into the street not hearing a car passing by and getting hit...

...or do you...

I'd gladly trade the CNG buses for the DLs, that's if MJQ and MTV could handle cng buses. Those you can't complain about not having their presence known. :P

First off, I wouldn't live in that type of neighborhood if that was something that mattered to me. You choose to live where you live and you should take into account what is around your neighborhood before choosing to live there.

Second, people are listening to their iPods and reading their books now, so what difference does it make if that bus engine is loud to them or not? They are too wrapped up into their music or whatever they are listening to or what crossword puzzle they are trying to solve to care. I'm looking at it from someone who's outside not on the bus and how quiet the sound was when it passed by. To me, the sound is an indicator that the bus is there or it's coming. Even if someone has their iPods on, you can still hear the bus to know it's around or that it's in motion, be it that you don't have the damn thing blasting as if you are at MSG in the middle of a concert. Some might like the quietness of it but some may not and I am the one that doesn't.

And forget the sound, I really hate the most about the Designline bus is the space, or lack of it, inside of the bus. To me, it tighter than the other hybrid buses, and that's tight enough as it is! I don't mind standing in the back of an NG or even an OG but I would never stand in the back of the DL because of the way the floor is back there. It's not flat like the Orion hybrids and it's not comfortable for my feet. Plus, I'm tall and I will hit my head on the ceiling with these buses, if I don't stand in the middle in the back. It's like this, I don't like these buses and if I'm the only one who doesn't like these buses, then that's fine with me. :cool:

I'd gladly trade the CNG buses for the DLs, that's if MJQ and MTV could handle cng buses. Those you can't complain about not having their presence known. :P

Well you can take the damn thing as far as I'm concerned. I like the CNG buses so it'll be a great trade in my eyes. Unfortunately, MV isn't a CNG garage. Well I thank God that MV and MJQ still has the RTS. You can't go wrong with that.

Not to take this off topic but, you may like older trains but crews don't, ever been in a freight engine like a SD40-2? Those things are loud as expletive. Then you go in a newer GEVO or SD70M-2 with the quiet cab and its much much nicer. You can actually here your self think. Same goes for NJ Transit the geeps and F40's as they are again loud as expletive, then you get in the cab of one of those PL42ac's and its quiet.

Yeah I like the older stuff as well but the public and the companies would rather have newer quieter and for the most part cleaner equipment running whether it be a bus,train, or plane.

That's where you're wrong pal. Not all crew like the new trains; I spoke to a T/O on the (R) a month ago and he was bashing the hell out of the R160s, saying that they were a piece of crap and they wouldn't last 30 years and such, and etc., etc. And I agreed with him! So yeah, not all crews like the older stuff.

Anyways back to topic, the only good thing about the DL that I find is that it is a true hybrid bus unlike the Orion 7s which claim to be.

Saw one of these the other day when I was walking from nyp to macy's, I got a photo of it, will post when I get home. It was very quiet, I liked it. Bout time we got some quiet engines. Them and a hybrid NABI would be great for BRT and certain other routes. Hybrid MCI coaches for express, and front wheel CNG articulated for those really high density routes. Save some ears, some gas money, and look nicer while doing it!

- A

That's where you're wrong pal. Not all crew like the new trains; I spoke to a T/O on the (R) a month ago and he was bashing the hell out of the R160s, saying that they were a piece of crap and they wouldn't last 30 years and such, and etc., etc. And I agreed with him! So yeah, not all crews like the older stuff.

Anyways back to topic, the only good thing about the DL that I find is that it is a true hybrid bus unlike the Orion 7s which claim to be.

sorry to take this back off topic:

Old stuff runs great yes but once you get used to the newer stuff you come to be thankful when it shows up on the pad. I know plenty of fellas who if they have an older unit leading and a newer unit trailing will ask for permission to turn the power around. They don't care if the unit runs great because when you get held at that stop signal for an hour to allow the passing of two eastbound high priority trains you want to be able to have at least some silence. Also my point about the public and companies would rather have newer equipment still holds true, otherwise we would still see commuter trains with old DL&W and Reading EMU's or long distance trains with old beat up pullman heavyweight sleepers being pulled by E units. Yeah you still have some of this stuff but its not in mainline service every day nor would you really want it to be. Especially since with each new design that comes out there are more saftey features built in. Look at the Metrolink accident last year those brand new UP SD70ACe units were totaled but back into service after some work while that Metrolink F59phi was practically obliterated.

NYCB_Designline_1302b.jpg

NYCB_Designline_1303.jpg

NYCB_Designline_1304.jpg

These buses are quite good, each one is different in their own way but rides smooth & sound good. I hope they make it to a full order & fix all the problems with the computer system.

Nice shots, I never noticed that 1304 has an NG-esque destination sign (1302 & 1303 don't), I like the way it looks. I hope the (MTA) gets more than 90.

I have yet to SEE a Designline let alone ride one.

Since when did (R) line crew workers ever work with R160s? The only times R160s ever hit the (R) was with (F) train crew workers. Same thing when the R160s on the (F) went to Euclid Ave and was being worked with (C) train crew workers. If it was his opinion then sure, but I rather wait and get the facts & opinions from (R) line crew workers once the R160s hit the line eventually.

I'd gladly trade the CNG buses for the DLs, that's if MJQ and MTV could handle cng buses. Those you can't complain about not having their presence known. :(

MJQ & MTV dont got CNG fueling stations, if they did, that would be quite interesting to see. Though I can never imagine a Orion V CNG on my M9 route.

Nice shots, I never noticed that 1304 has an NG-esque destination sign (1302 & 1303 don't), I like the way it looks. I hope the (MTA) gets more than 90.

I have yet to SEE a Designline let alone ride one.

1304 has a Hanover LED while 1302 and 1303 has Luminator Horizons. The NGs got Luminator TITAN LEDs. Though I prefer the Hanover LED over the Luminator TITANs.

Archived