Hiring freeze on again

Meesh

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Basically the way this will happen if indeed they do layoff people is anyone with less than 3 years could be in trouble. And Mabstoa/MTA Bus company people are in the most trouble. Last time around rumor was any S/A they wanted to layoff they offered a cleaners job to them first. If they call my name to be laid off and offer me the cleaners job I would take it in a heartbeat.

Hey guys! On February 17th 2009 President Obama signed the 2009 ARRA (American Recovery and Reinvestment Act of 2009) into law. It was the bail out package that is worth $787 billion going towards a lot of areas, and agencies. One I recall was mass transit. I like to know what the hell Albany is doing as far as serivce cuts, and laying off a lot of MTA empolyees. If they have this bail out money that each state was given why the cuts over sudden? This not the way to go into the new year with cuts, and lay offs instead of more jobs to help boost the economy that we’re in.

You're from the MABSTOA list right? They along with MTA Bus don't have civil service status like NYCT does, so they will be the first to be laid off and last to be called back.

Being laid off doesn't mean you will be fired, it's not your fault. You will be "temporarily" unemployed.

Yep, MaBSTOA and I qualified in training today.. Not a great way to start off the year worrying when I will be laid off.. Oh well.. it is what it is.. Hopefully if it happens, it wont be too long.. Guess just gotta wait n see.. ;)

The MTA Board members are "appointed" by the Governor and approved by the New York State Senate. These are wealthy people with political connections who never take mass transit. They get free E-ZPasses. So they are fair game to be blasted away.:tup:
I do agree with you I do know that some of them are appointed by the mayor as well but they are not paid for sitting on the Board I do know Norman Seabrook who is the President of the City's Corrections Officers Union sits on the board who isn't wealthy

Nancy shevell on the other hand heir of New England Motor Freight and gal pal to paul McCartney has a pretty penny just listening to her

she didnt seem to know what she was talking about which clearly shows its not what you know but who you know coughs Gov Pataki if you know nothing about transportation you dont belong on the board

let's dissect the (MTA) 7 agencies where is the money going to they said in 2007 (MTA) Bridges & Tunnels had over a billion riders come through if thats true where did the money go sounds odd to me

(MTA) New York City Transit said they have had a steady rise in ridership where is the money fuzzy math or looting of the Treasury Department

(MTA) Long Island Rail Road you charge an additional $5.00 for on board fares you have revenue coming in from all the goodies you sale from the commissary such as beer chips and peanuts

(MTA) Metro-North Railroad same as above

(MTA) Bus Company same as New York City Transit basically the step child

(MTA) Long Island Bus I wouldn't happen to know their troubles but im sure they are plagued by the same problems as every other agency spoken about

(MTA) Capital Construction Company charged with construction projects what a sham just paying people exorbitant salaries to do nothing

now the duplicative position I was shocked to learn that they had 5,000 jobs in administration which is a joke talk about cost

jay walder is a hypocrit how could you bash an agency who is paying your $350,000 dollar salary and you have a hefty severance package you knew what you were coming into you could have had that scaled down a bit

its odd that they keep creating new buses...this is a recession u are suppose to be cutting back on thing. That's like buying a bentley when u might get laid off. I kno the riders aren't complining. As long as its moving wit heat there should be no problem...hire more maintance to create jobs instead of paying a grip on a bus that is gonna get messed up with the high school and junior high kids..That's were a lot of money going to make the economy look nice when in actuality we're dying

its odd that they keep creating new buses...this is a recession u are suppose to be cutting back on thing. That's like buying a bentley when u might get laid off. I kno the riders aren't complining. As long as its moving wit heat there should be no problem...hire more maintance to create jobs instead of paying a grip on a bus that is gonna get messed up with the high school and junior high kids..That's were a lot of money going to make the economy look nice when in actuality we're dying

I agree with you 110% They like buying new toys but when are forced to doomsday budget cuts we as workers, toll and fare payers are beaten up.

Does the city with all these buses need that new "Designline bus"?

yea like im not getting it...now they trying to figure out were all there money going...How are they gonna cut workers pay 10% like their not busting their ass for that 10%. How are they not gonna give our kids metrocards..Kids think they have a reason now not to go to school they really not gonna go to school only thing they are going to say is I have no money... PPl is losing jobs left and right so how are we as parents going to be able to give our kids $25 a week to go to school $100 month $1200 a year that adds up and I kno fare is going to go up soon...What is this world going to be like 5 years from now

• 4 weeks later...

Guys (and gals) lets think out of the box. Let's email or call our State Senators and lobby to get them to approve more funds for New York City Transit so that they can start hiring again and avoid service cuts and layoffs. Transit is too big to fail! It is the life blood of the City. Let's get them to stop procrastinating if they want our vote! We can do it.

the only idea out there that will bring the (MTA) money on a PERMANENT basis is congestion pricing. and then if they do it, they gotta make sure that none of it ends up in their capital construction budget where it gets wasted on useless stuff like east side access and the extension of the (7). it must only be used for operating purposes so we dont get hit with fare hikes and service cuts every 2 years!!!

The thing you have to remember it that there are 68 different unions representing MTA workers. Just this year nearly 50 contracts with these unions are being negotiated. This is your number one answer to any questions as to the why of MTA poverty claims. Did you notice any of the recent tales of MTA workers not doing their job? Well get ready for more of that. MTA Management, or should I say mismanagement is the reason for the agencies financial woes,not pensions,the workforce,not pay. Soon the media in cooperation with MTA brass will be spotlighting worker abuses,so all MTA workers be on your guard. Do your work. Don't be the person in the spotlight,under the microscope, in another expose the lazy worker story in the Times,Daily News or NY Post. Beat them at their game,follow their rules and don't get discouraged or intimidated. We will prevail.

Soon the media in cooperation with MTA brass will be spotlighting worker abuses,so all MTA workers be on your guard. Do your work. Don't be the person in the spotlight,under the microscope, in another expose the lazy worker story in the Times,Daily News or NY Post. Beat them at their game,follow their rules and don't get discouraged or intimidated. We will prevail.

I can see this happening and soon....

the only idea out there that will bring the (MTA) money on a PERMANENT basis is congestion pricing. and then if they do it, they gotta make sure that none of it ends up in their capital construction budget where it gets wasted on useless stuff like east side access and the extension of the (7). it must only be used for operating purposes so we dont get hit with fare hikes and service cuts every 2 years!!!

Congestion pricing will never happen, and you can bet the house on it! that option should and will be taken off the table.

Congestion pricing will never happen, and you can bet the house on it! that option should and will be taken off the table.

Good point. But you agree that's something for the government and Transit officials (NOT US) to worry about. Our mission should be to get those two parties to produce a revenue source, period. Using our vote as leverage I belive we can do that. I for one, emailed my State Senator Stewart-Cousins of the 35th Senate District in Yonkers and plan to call her on the phone. Ditto for our Governor.

Good point. But you agree that's something for the government and Transit officials (NOT US) to worry about. Our mission should be to get those two parties to produce a revenue source, period. Using our vote as leverage I belive we can do that. I for one, emailed my State Senator Stewart-Cousins of the 35th Senate District in Yonkers and plan to call her on the phone. Ditto for our Governor.

Well if you think writing to your politicians will actually produce the result that you are looking for go right ahead.

Politicians cater only to the special interest groups, the elitists, the people with money and influence. We are invisible to them if you know what I mean.

and this is y i don`t vote

Even still, you should. Young people today don't vote and someday low voter turnout could be used by the wealthy and the bankster class as reason to "modify" the voter eligibility rules and make it so we have even less of a voice than we do now...precious little is still better than nothing...

PS Banks are paying record bonuses again...why are our governments that bailed them out bankrupt? Why am I not getting anything from any of this? You're all being bent over and you don't even know it, just so some bankster can stick his c*** into anything that resembles money...

People just make angry speeches about it and it keeps the public happy, then they go green light more stuff for the finance legalized crime industry...yet any of the common sense ideas don't go through (like AIG bonuses being taxed at 100%) because the country and the politicians is afraid of offending the bankster class...

Well if you think writing to your politicians will actually produce the result that you are looking for go right ahead.

Politicians cater only to the special interest groups, the elitists, the people with money and influence. We are invisible to them if you know what I mean.

I agree, but remember they cannot cater to special intersts if they're not holding public office so the politicians first interest is holding on to their position in government. If they feel people are getting ready to vote them out, they will favor the people.

Furthermore, transportation is not an abstract concept or a luxury, it's a basic human need. Policitians cannot bring out the smoke and mirrors as they do with other issues when they favor so called special interests.

We have to first let them know we vote and second let them know that they must get to work on providing Transit officials with the needed funding.

The sooner we get started, the sooner we'll be hired. You DO want to be hired soon, dont you?

I agree, but remember they cannot cater to special intersts if they're not holding public office so the politicians first interest is holding on to their position in government. If they feel people are getting ready to vote them out, they will favor the people.

Furthermore, transportation is not an abstract concept or a luxury, it's a basic human need. Policitians cannot bring out the smoke and mirrors as they do with other issues when they favor so called special interests.

We have to first let them know we vote and second let them know that they must get to work on providing Transit officials with the needed funding.

The sooner we get started, the sooner we'll be hired. You DO want to be hired soon, dont you?

of course i`m ready and will to work and drive the bus around were ever they need me

Archived