Fantasy Subway Map: Draft 1

CenSin

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What an impressive fantasy map! Some of those lines are quite far-reaching (definitely more so than those on my fantasy map; kinda makes me wanna go back and finish those revisions...)

The IND Second System would have had this and more. And the lines are not as far-reaching as they appear to be. The geography on the MTA Subway map is distorted—very distorted, so you can't trust your intuition when judging scales. You'd actually have to look up the streets and find a real map to pinpoint them with any accuracy, which explains why some of the new stations on my map are so close together or so far apart. The (W) in my map, for example, terminates at Francis Lewis Boulevard and Long Island Expressway which is only three miles from Main Street and Roosevelt Avenue—the distance between 82 Street–Jackson Heights and Main Street on the Flushing line, yet the (W) terminal is shown twice as far away. Instead, it should be where the (R) is. I'm thinking about redoing the entire map by starting with a more accurate geographical representation.

Any ideas for Staten Island? That's one lonely place since I don't know anyone from there nor have I set foot in it. All I know is that the garbage is (or used to be) dumped there.

well, i would start with putting the main line back on the map, and then adding in the north shore branch, and the other branch (of which i can't remember the name) and then adding a subway connection, either from brooklyn via your X line, or my personal favorite, extending the (T) and the (E) and have then meet up in south ferry before crossing the bay to SI.

also it'd be nice to see the (7) extended further down to WTC and south ferry with a transfer to the (1), and the (3) to JFK.

The IND Second System would have had this and more. And the lines are not as far-reaching as they appear to be. The geography on the MTA Subway map is distorted—very distorted, so you can't trust your intuition when judging scales. You'd actually have to look up the streets and find a real map to pinpoint them with any accuracy, which explains why some of the new stations on my map are so close together or so far apart. The (W) in my map, for example, terminates at Francis Lewis Boulevard and Long Island Expressway which is only three miles from Main Street and Roosevelt Avenue—the distance between 82 Street–Jackson Heights and Main Street on the Flushing line, yet the (W) terminal is shown twice as far away. Instead, it should be where the (R) is. I'm thinking about redoing the entire map by starting with a more accurate geographical representation.

Understood; methinks a geographically accurate fantasy map will present quite a challenge! Over on Subchat some time ago, someone posted a geographically accurate subway map that took almost a year...

Understood; methinks a geographically accurate fantasy map will present quite a challenge! Over on Subchat some time ago, someone posted a geographically accurate subway map that took almost a year...

I suggested stitching together all of the bus maps for each borough and subtracting all the bus lines and minor streets on straphangers.org since it's probably the easiest approach. But I think working from scratch produces cleaner results and can be done in less than a month.

Google maps shows the locations of all current subway stations and MTA bus stops in NYC.

You could work off of that.

The problem is stitching all of that together. I'm not thrilled about pressing [Print Screen] a hundred times and then putting those 100 tiles together. Also, it only helps with showing the elevated lines accurately (by virtue of being able to see them). The bus maps are still more accurate (probably).

the map looks good....might i suggest:

Take all three (S) shuttles and make it into an (S) train. and have it operate with the (L) and (X) together as one whole line in Manhattan being that theyre the same Gray color. For example: 6 Av (:P(D)(F)(V), Broadway (N)(Q)(R)(W), something like that. otherwise i love the map. keep working on it, lol.

• 3 weeks later...

Draft 3 has arrived. There is still no Staten Island service but each and every station has finally been labelled.

map1medium.th.jpg

Despite the painstaking work of bringing the map to near completion, the software used to create the map began to fail under the massive size of the map. With thousands of little objects scattered throughout the map, none of the programs in the Microsoft Office suite could properly export the drawing to an image with readable text. PowerPoint did let me export, but only a piece at a time and I stitched the pieces together afterwards. I thought OpenOffice.org would be a sufficient replacement, but its export capabilities also failed me.

have you tried creating the text by opening the file with photoshop and using that?

Photoshop only works on Windows and Mac. I'm in the process of switching to Linux (Ubuntu), so my choice of software would naturally be open source.

What are your service patterns?

I'll add those if I have time, but they should be obvious from the labels.

OMG, this is the best map I've seen so far. I love the map. Instead of having the (X) running across Tremont- Burnsite Ave, I think it would be better having it run along Fordham road to cut down on bus crowds.;)Can't wait to see SI service:)

I designed the route to balance the need for a cross-town line versus the need to keep the route as direct as possible.

Yeah I also think the (N) and (W) going to LaGuardia would be awesome. They could probably do it and it seems a good reason so. Maybe even extend it to go to Flushing and also covering Citi Field. I also think they should make extensions to reach JFK, since only currently the (A) reaches there. I think they could also extend the (2) and (5) to go into Far Rockaway. I also see gaps in the subway in southern Queens where separate lines go to Jamaica but none connect to JFK. Just my suggestions.

Yeah I also think the (N) and (W) going to LaGuardia would be awesome. They could probably do it and it seems a good reason so. Maybe even extend it to go to Flushing and also covering Citi Field. I also think they should make extensions to reach JFK, since only currently the (A) reaches there. I think they could also extend the (2) and (5) to go into Far Rockaway. I also see gaps in the subway in southern Queens where separate lines go to Jamaica but none connect to JFK. Just my suggestions.

(E),(J), and (Z) connect to the Airtrain just as much as the (A) does. It's also the same amount of time from Howard Beach (A) to the terminals as from Jamaica (E)(J)(Z) to the terminals.

How are you going to extend the 2/5 to Far Rockaway? And the Rockaway Park line has among the lowest useage of the city. The Q35 is enough. Maybe the Q35 should be extended to Far Rock [merge with the Q22]. But I don't see the need for the 2/5 to go beyond maybe Kings plaza Mall.

I finally managed to get it into PDF format. You can download it here: http://www.4shared.com/file/189337259/de2f427d/New_York_City_Transit_Fantasy_.html

1. Even with the Hillside Avenue, Jamaica Avenue, and Liberty Avenue extensions, Queens still has less service than Brooklyn, and I recognize the need to connect the ends of all these lines ((7), (W), (F), (J), and (C)), much like how the (L) and (S) ties several lines together in Manhattan. Queens could use a bit more development.*
  2. I'm also looking at current service patterns as well as previously proposed links to see how a new (JFK) line could be built (possibly taking over the Air Train).
  3. Southwestern Queens is still quite empty; a line following LIE branching off 2 Avenue/34 Street could fill the gap.

* Subway is good for the neighborhood.

• 3 weeks later...
Draft 3 has arrived. There is still no Staten Island service but each and every station has finally been labelled.

map1medium.th.jpg

Despite the painstaking work of bringing the map to near completion, the software used to create the map began to fail under the massive size of the map. With thousands of little objects scattered throughout the map, none of the programs in the Microsoft Office suite could properly export the drawing to an image with readable text. PowerPoint did let me export, but only a piece at a time and I stitched the pieces together afterwards. I thought OpenOffice.org would be a sufficient replacement, but its export capabilities also failed me.

I love this map & I love that you made the (7)/<7>, (W), (F), (J) & (C) so close to Nassau county. but I think the (W) is too long, if you noticed, the (T) is one of the lines that go to all 4 boroughs, the same as the (X) line, but overall cool map!

Well, you did a great job on this map. I'd like to do my own fantasy map one of these days. I especially like the 2nd Avenue service pattern and the X train. We really could use a service connecting the Bronx, Queens and Brooklyn directly without having to go through Manhattan first.