New hybrid buses experience jerking, smoldering heaters

Harry

The MTA’s shiny new buses have hit some bumps in the road.

The newest hybrids have caught on fire, bottomed out and jerked into motion since they hit city streets, according to riders, bus drivers and mechanics.

The MTA’s order of 850 Orion “Next Generation” buses started trickling into service last year, and will eventually make up 20 percent of the city’s fleet. The sleek buses cost about $540,000 and are under warrantee.

The hybrid buses are quiet, more fuel-efficient and feature low floors that speed boarding, NYC Transit spokesman Charles Seaton said.

Read more: http://www.amny.com/urbanite-1.812039/new-hybrid-buses-experience-jerking-smoldering-heaters-1.1645795

post-1-133288581237_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288581237_thumb.jpg

I was reading this in the paper this morning, and was certain Harry or someone else would put this up.

I wonder how so many malfunctioning trains and buses are ever pressed into service (think R46s). I don't intend to be the typical "angry transit user", but somehow I feel that if the higher-ups were doing there jobs properly this sort of thing would happen less (or not at all).

According to Wikipedia, in connection with the R46 failures, "the City Department of Investigation indicted seven high-ranking transit officials in connection with the planning, purchase, inspection and acceptance of the R46 subway cars. Improprieties such as favoritism to certain contactors and mismanagement were cited." I wouldn't be at all surprised if the bus contracts are just as shadily dealt.

Buses spontaneously combusting is just plain inexcusable. The implications for rider safety are grim and the problem needs to be fixed ASAP.

As for the rapid acceleration and jerky motion, how were these never detected in road tests? Didn't the (MTA) carry out testing independently, or did they just accept a third-party's recommendation for the buses' rideability?

Excerpt from page

- 30 percent more fuel efficient and releasing 90 percent less particulate than diesel buses

Yeah, 90% less, except when they catch on fire and burn all that plastic :P

This is ridiculous. Will anything new ever work properly?

When I hear stuff like this, it really makes me wonder if the people higher up really ride buses to understand what the rider has to deal with on a daily bases cause I don't think that they do. Plus, who is making all of these decisions with these buses? Like someone had mentioned, did they do the proper tests with these buses before they approved ordering them? And with the problems that are coming up, why are the MTA STILL ordering more of these buses? They say it's cheaper to maintain them but yet there are so many problems coming up, I imagine that it's going to cost just as much to repair one of these buses as it is to buy one and that's half a million dollars. Last time I checked, there's only so much time that a warranty lasts. And then the MTA wants to cry poverty again. They need to stop dealing with Orion. We've gone through this shit before with the OG's and now it's getting worse with the NG's. You would have thought the problems from the last group of buses would have been fixed but they haven't been at all. When will it end? I think we should go back to the drawing board and order high floor buses. Not to say they won't have their flaws either but the flaws the past high floor buses had were nothing like this.

It's just proof that the people running things at the MTA need to be fired from their jobs ASAP. I was talking to one of my homeboys about this story and we both agreed that the NG is about to become the Grumman bus of the 21st Century but worse. The MTA f**ked up nicely with this one.

When I hear stuff like this, it really makes me wonder if the people higher up really ride buses to understand what the rider has to deal with on a daily bases cause I don't think that they do. Plus, who is making all of these decisions with these buses? Like someone had mentioned, did they do the proper tests with these buses before they approved ordering them? And with the problems that are coming up, why are the MTA STILL ordering more of these buses? They say it's cheaper to maintain them but yet there are so many problems coming up, I imagine that it's going to cost just as much to repair one of these buses as it is to buy one and that's half a million dollars. Last time I checked, there's only so much time that a warranty lasts. And then the MTA wants to cry poverty again. They need to stop dealing with Orion. We've gone through this shit before with the OG's and now it's getting worse with the NG's. You would have thought the problems from the last group of buses would have been fixed but they haven't been at all. When will it end? I think we should go back to the drawing board and order high floor buses. Not to say they won't have their flaws either but the flaws the past high floor buses had were nothing like this.

It's just proof that the people running things at the MTA need to be fired from their jobs ASAP. I was talking to one of my homeboys about this story and we both agreed that the NG is about to become the Grumman bus of the 21st Century but worse. The MTA f**ked up nicely with this one.

I 100% agree. Many issues havin arisen with the O7s, yet they still make a good percent of our bus fleet.

I 100% agree. Many issues havin arisen with the O7s, yet they still make a good percent of our bus fleet.

And that's the scariest part about it. I work around 5th and Madison Ave and I tell you, about 80%-90% of the buses along both avenues alone are hybrids, old or new and I see the same thing day in and day out, people struggling to walk through the bus, people zooming down the aisle after the bus starts moving, these buses are so uncomfortable to ride on if you are standing. Sitting isn't any better. My heart gets so happy when a RTS shows up, which is sadly becoming a rare sight nowadays, at least above 72nd St. It's just bad, bad and really bad. These hybrid buses ain't shit.

And that's the scariest part about it. I work around 5th and Madison Ave and I tell you, about 80%-90% of the buses along both avenues alone are hybrids, old or new and I see the same thing day in and day out, people struggling to walk through the bus, people zooming down the aisle after the bus starts moving, these buses are so uncomfortable to ride on if you are standing. Sitting isn't any better. My heart gets so happy when a RTS shows up, which is sadly becoming a rare sight nowadays, at least above 72nd St. It's just bad, bad and really bad. These hybrid buses ain't shit.

Dude, on my way to school and back I am SO happy Queens Villiage has a wonderful collection of RTSs. They're all over on the Q27 so I'm a happy rider. If in the rare occurence that a Orion VII shows up I just let that bastard go, because those buses WILL get packed and then there will be no room to move at all!

Dude, on my way to school and back I am SO happy Queens Villiage has a wonderful collection of RTSs. They're all over on the Q27 so I'm a happy rider. If in the rare occurence that a Orion VII shows up I just let that bastard go, because those buses WILL get packed and then there will be no room to move at all!

You are so lucky that you can do that cause unless I can see the RTS coming around during my lunch break, then I'm screwed and I have no choice but to ride it. I live in Co-Op City and the NG's have taken over. Luckily, I take the QBx1 to work for the (6) so I don't deal with it much. This is coming from someone who was loving these buses when they first came in when the year started. I don't hate the NG's but the more info I discover about these buses, the less I like them. They aren't the right buses for a city like New York. They're a hot mess.

Pretty much what I was thinking... Man I have never liked being in those buses from the day I first stepped foot, where's all the room? This is New York City, not some hick town with a small population!!!

Thank you! I'm glad I'm not the only one feeling this way! These buses are just too small inside.

Why are you calling towns smaller than nyc "hick towns"? Lose some weight & you'll find there's plenty of room in any modern bus. The era of the armchair filled transit vehicles is over.

- A

Hold up, who the hell was talking about weight? Skinny or fat, folks are having issues manuvering themselves on the bus, period. I see it everyday. SMH

Seats in general are too small, not everyone is skinny. I concider myself medium build, but still end up taking up some portion of the next seat.

What they should've done is made a small 'arm rest' space. Like set aside a small portion of empty space where an arm rest would've gone and separate the seats. Seats should not be so close together as the seats fits the person, but not their arms.

All the MTA cares about is putting more seats than comfort [obviously they only care about getting the most people on, but there should be some comfort].

Seats in general are too small, not everyone is skinny. I concider myself medium build, but still end up taking up some portion of the next seat.

What they should've done is made a small 'arm rest' space. Like set aside a small portion of empty space where an arm rest would've gone and separate the seats. Seats should not be so close together as the seats fits the person, but not their arms.

Well they want to play a game. Tetris: NYC Bus edition.

All the MTA cares about is putting more seats than comfort [obviously they only care about getting the most people on, but there should be some comfort].

I agree, the seats are too close together, my arms are always pressed up against someone else's. I always sit in the single seats or in the back. I made the mistake of sitting in the front one day, this 300-400 pound man landed on my lap when he threw his self into the seat next to me, he was still occupying his seat and half of mine, he was just okay with it, I jumped up and walked away lol.

Its all MTA buses though.

Well they want to play a game. Tetris: NYC Bus edition.

LOL

I like sitting in the back of the NGs because my feet dangle (and I'm 5'11") and its less crowded. I don't want a fire to start in back of me lol, that's why I start to pay attention when I hear those extra noises, beeps, & lights coming from inside that black part in the back of the bus (I assume its the engine) lol.

I don't want a fire to start in back of me lol, that's why I start to pay attention when I hear those extra noises, beeps, & lights coming from inside that black part in the back of the bus (I assume its the engine) lol.

Those beeps, lights and noises are strategically placed fire bombs :(

Yeah, its the engine, and the lights are the A/C controls.....i believe

I agree, the seats are too close together, my arms are always pressed up against someone else's. I always sit in the single seats or in the back. I made the mistake of sitting in the front one day, this 300-400 pound man landed on my lap when he threw his self into the seat next to me, he was still occupying his seat and half of mine, he was just okay with it, I jumped up and walked away lol.

Its all MTA buses though.

LOL

I like sitting in the back of the NGs because my feet dangle (and I'm 5'11") and its less crowded. I don't want a fire to start in back of me lol, that's why I start to pay attention when I hear those extra noises, beeps, & lights coming from inside that black part in the back of the bus (I assume its the engine) lol.

Ouch. If I see an extra wide person motioning down, i'm moving out of the way.

And I never sit at the last row anymore. I try to keep away from that spot unless it's the only space left.

I don't want a fire to start in back of me lol, that's why I start to pay attention when I hear those extra noises, beeps, & lights coming from inside that black part in the back of the bus (I assume its the engine) lol.
Uh Oh here is food for thought those Orion VII OG's & NG's don't have engines so im just as astounded as you are as to why these Buses are having all of these problems shoddy work and the Management at NYCT is to blame because they are the one's charged with the Inception of Delivery of these Buses not the (MTA) and if they couldn't catch this problem when it first begin shame on them someone needs to be demoted or fired plain and simple because they are paying Diamler a Sh*t load of money for Buses that are essentially no good

A side Note: This Agency makes NJ Transit look Damn good I have not heard of any such problems with those NABI's REAL TALK smh at NYCT

Uh Oh here is food for thought those Orion VII OG's & NG's don't have engines so im just as astounded as you are as to why these Buses are having all of these problems shoddy work and the Management at NYCT is to blame because they are the one's charged with the Inception of Delivery of these Buses not the (MTA) and if they couldn't catch this problem when it first begin shame on them someone needs to be demoted or fired plain and simple because they are paying Diamler a Sh*t load of money for Buses that are essentially no good

A side Note: This Agency makes NJ Transit look Damn good I have not heard of any such problems with those NABI's REAL TALK smh at NYCT

They have engines. Small diesel engines, yes. but it's still an engine

I'm glad to see that everyone so far thinks the same that I do about the low-floor hybrids: these buses are no good, be it the earlier hybrids or the O7 NGs. Ever since they've invaded my neighborhood (Riverdale, Bronx), I've never been too pleased. My two biggest problems with them are: the very hard braking/acceleration (in other words, the jerking), and I know that it's most likely not the fault of the bus drivers. The other problem is the smaller amount of space in them as opposed to the old high-floors. Before the NG arrival in late October or something, the 7:33 AM Bx10 bus departing from my bus stop (the corner of Kappock Street and Johnson Avenue, headed to 231st Street/Broadway) was always an Orion V that was almost always on time and not too crowded. Ever since that bus morphed into an Orion VII NG, it has rarely been on time, and has always been packed to the brim. As a result, many passengers are left behind at the bus stop, and the bus skips all stops until 231st Street and Kingsbridge Avenue, where many people get off. In addition, these buses may or may not be of lesser quality than previous buses. On a Friday in late June, I happened to take the Q53 from Rockaway Park to Woodside. Halfway into the trip, the bus driver started a conversation with me that eventually moved to the topic of the RTS/Orion V versus the Hybrids. She said that she always tried to get one of the older buses, like the RTS to drive on the bus runs. She said that it was because the hybrids were maligned with problems: instability, occasional breakdowns/malfunctions, poor maneuvering/maneuverability in windy conditions (such as those on Wednesday), problems with the buses in cold weather, and so on. I asked her if the older buses had the same problems, and the bus driver replied that she rarely had problems with the RTS, and that if she did, then it was to a lesser degree than the new buses. This is from the average bus driver, so imagine how pissed the mechanics who have to fix these things are. This is one of the reasons why in Poland, many buses from the 1980s are still in widespread use. Apart from the facts that new buses can't always be afforded, and the mess of the modern-day Polish bus industry, the reason for retention of the old Jelcz and Ikarus high-floor, loud, and smoky buses is that they are cheap and easy to maintain, and that they are not very prone to breakdown. If these buses were particularly bad, then they would have probably been mostly retired nationwide by the early/mid-1990s, and definitely be gone by now. This is my two cents, anyhow: The Orion VII NG- The R46 of Buses, and as someone else summed it up, The Grumann Flxible of the 21st Century. Stupidity knows no boundaries amongst the upper management layers of the (MTA). In fact, it has reached a new level!:(

New York City Transit Management knows what's going on but im sure they won't tell the (MTA) Board any of these findings because they would get chewed out

Buses catching Fire

Buses with long Brakes

Buses Dying in the middle of the Street for no reason what so ever

one of my Colleagues told me he had smoke to the rear doors of the Bus and some Guy came running along side the Bus banging on the window SCREAMING you have flames shooting out of the back of the Bus

Archived