New hybrid buses experience jerking, smoldering heaters

Harry

The Hybrids are the worst thing to ever happen to mass transit. They waste space. They have bumpy rides. They're lemons. NYCT should've ordered NABI's instead.

Bumpy rides? All buses are bumpy. You are exhagerating this because you hate the hybrids.

All low floors wastes some space namely the seats. It's not just a hybrid thing.

Empty D4500s are the worst thing that happened to mass transit when keeping the CNG and diesel O5s on the express lines would've been better. Where does it say all express riders were entitled to D4500s?

Bumpy rides? All buses are bumpy. You are exhagerating this because you hate the hybrids.

All low floors wastes some space namely the seats. It's not just a hybrid thing.

Empty D4500s are the worst thing that happened to mass transit when keeping the CNG and diesel O5s on the express lines would've been better. Where does it say all express riders were entitled to D4500s?

Incorrect

You know, after I thought about it after a while, the DL3s/D4500s werent even needed at all, considering that the Orion Vs and NovaBus RTS-06s were running the express lines at one point. Would have been better if they eliminated the rear door, but then again, that would suck if the rear door wasnt here while these RTSs/Vs were still in service. But this IS New York, and this IS the (MTA)......

Though on the other hand, when it came to comfort and space, the D4500s did have that, 5 extra feet sits a few more passengers and they are in some way a bit more convinent. The RTS & Vs were kinda tight on the inside, especally if you had some standees on an express route which I used to see on the X25/90/92 lines when they all ran via Allen Street back in the day & the X27/28 & 29 when they would fly across the FDR with those RTSs....

I'm skinny!!! I'm NOWHERE near fat! But those seats will get tight on you!

You will really feel the bumps more on a low-floor, I'll tell you that, at the intersection where Kissena Blvd. and Main Street merge, the road going north [Kissena] isn't as smooth as it could be and you'll get a nice bone rattle (God!), ESPECIALLY on a low floor!

I like,no.. I love the O7`s.they are speedy and technically sound.my only quip is that people don`t move to the back,because people are too afraid to fly off the high floor area!!.Now this country been lost its ingenuity.Years ago Americans took pride in their work.Now we take shortcuts during production,and strike in the middle of production.A la Pullman standard strike of 1979 during the R46 order,which by the way was on its way towards epic failure.

You know, after I thought about it after a while, the DL3s/D4500s werent even needed at all, considering that the Orion Vs and NovaBus RTS-06s were running the express lines at one point. Would have been better if they eliminated the rear door, but then again, that would suck if the rear door wasnt here while these RTSs/Vs were still in service. But this IS New York, and this IS the (MTA)......

Though on the other hand, when it came to comfort and space, the D4500s did have that, 5 extra feet sits a few more passengers and they are in some way a bit more convinent. The RTS & Vs were kinda tight on the inside, especally if you had some standees on an express route which I used to see on the X25/90/92 lines when they all ran via Allen Street back in the day & the X27/28 & 29 when they would fly across the FDR with those RTSs....

Good points, but I'm just tired of seeing some empty D4500s. If the problem was people standing, they should've ran more buses. But now it seems like there's too many buses for too few people [and of course the economy collapsing and Wall St pretty much decimated - that's even fewer demand for express service]. That's why I don't see the need for these extra D4500s.

Those 9300 RTSs never should've been put to use on the local lines and it didn't help that they were deplorable interior wise. The PBL O5s, if they removed those arm rests, those two seaters might be more bareable.

A side Note: This Agency makes NJ Transit look Damn good I have not heard of any such problems with those NABI's REAL TALK smh at NYCT
Ha, please, NJT is always out to make the MTA look bad. :(

How is it that NJT bought 18 of those MCI D4500CTs that the MTA rejected and put them into service immediately, and the MTA followed suit and put the ones they kept in service. And lets not get into the Grummans.

But for real, I'm abit skeptical of the NABIs. I got my eye on them for the next year....

Good points, but I'm just tired of seeing some empty D4500s. If the problem was people standing, they should've ran more buses. But now it seems like there's too many buses for too few people [and of course the economy collapsing and Wall St pretty much decimated - that's even fewer demand for express service]. That's why I don't see the need for these extra D4500s.

Those 9300 RTSs never should've been put to use on the local lines and it didn't help that they were deplorable interior wise. The PBL O5s, if they removed those arm rests, those two seaters might be more bareable.

nope

On conventional buses everyone has sufficient space. I can stretch my legs when I sit. I don't feel every pothole on Merrick Blvd. That's not the case with low floor Hybrids. I'm all for saving the environment and being fuel efficient but Hybrids aren't the answer.

The only buses I have problems due to leg space are the C40LFs, but I don't feel the difference between the RTS and O7 seating space.

Potholes are problems for any bus. It's because you are lower to the ground that you probably feel the vibration more. I would say just sit in the back section if it makes things feel better.

Ha, please, NJT is always out to make the MTA look bad. :(

How is it that NJT bought 18 of those MCI D4500CTs that the MTA rejected and put them into service immediately, and the MTA followed suit and put the ones they kept in service. And lets not get into the Grummans.

But for real, I'm abit skeptical of the NABIs. I got my eye on them for the next year....

They have done it countless times my friend.

As for the hybrids, I was on KR's bus along Queens Blvd and we see NG 4505, that bus was shooting out white smoke and it was brand new. Well then again, that LGA's bus and things always happens with their fleet.

They have done it countless times my friend.

As for the hybrids, I was on KR's bus along Queens Blvd and we see NG 4505, that bus was shooting out white smoke and it was brand new. Well then again, that LGA's bus and things always happens with their fleet.

That sounds like a Cummins problem with the engines, not an MTA problem. The problem is that if not Cummins, who (for the engine)? Is there an equivalent Mercedes-Benz engine that works with the BAE hybrid drivetrain?

The only buses I have problems due to leg space are the C40LFs, but I don't feel the difference between the RTS and O7 seating space.

Potholes are problems for any bus. It's because you are lower to the ground that you probably feel the vibration more. I would say just sit in the back section if it makes things feel better.

The C40LFs do have an odd seating arrangement but I love the engines in those bad boys!

It does seem odd, I'm guessing they added an extra set of seats [i haven't counted all the seats in the bus vs the O7s]. That's probably why it feels more cramped. But yeah I do like them more than the O7 CNGs.

At least most of you can fit in the seats (RTS, C40LF, 05, 07, or 07 NG) not weight wise though. Me being 6' 2" and having long legs, I can't fit my legs into the seats completely so my legs are always sticking out. I either sit in the opposite facing seats or in the back (the middle 3 seats) it seems like all the seats are the same no matter wat kind of bus it is.

Both Toronto and Ottawa have been also having problems with their Orion VII HEV's (Toronto) and VII HEV NG's (Ottawa and Toronto)

Ottawa never had any issues with their VII NG's, these "defects" you speak of are issues with the radio systems OC Transpo is installing.

As for those article...the only one that's actually a valid complaint IMO is the smoldering heaters and to an extent the suspension. Like others have said a pothole is a pothole. Before anyone starts whining more about the quality of these buses please keep in mind this isn't some sleepy town in the middle of nowhere with well paved roads and 9AM to 6PM Transit service. This is New York City, where the demands are grueling and buses get the crap beaten out of them. This is why the MTA has such strict specifications - ad thus Orion is the only one willing to meet them. Although I will sort of agree with the suspension in some ways - yes there is some room for improvement.

Yes, there's other buses on the market - but every bus (NFI, Nova, Orion, NABI, etc.) has their own flaws. No bus is perfect.

I actually knew about the heater issue way back in August when I was on the Q65 headed home... (I was standing at the very front just behind the white line due to crowding) This old man and the B/O were talking about the current state of the MTA as it was. At Main Street the two men spotted an O7 NG on the opposite side of the street and the subject quickly changed to that. The old guy was there talking about how there was hardly any room in the rear compartment for the required equipment and that things were prone to overheating and bursting into flames in there. They need to fix whatever the issue is with those buses in order to make them work right...

New York City Transit Management knows what's going on but im sure they won't tell the (MTA) Board any of these findings because they would get chewed out

Buses catching Fire

Buses with long Brakes

Buses Dying in the middle of the Street for no reason what so ever

one of my Colleagues told me he had smoke to the rear doors of the Bus and some Guy came running along side the Bus banging on the window SCREAMING you have flames shooting out of the back of the Bus

:confused:

Archived