New hybrid buses experience jerking, smoldering heaters

Harry

I had heard about the overheating situation with these buses months ago but to see that the situation still hasn't been resolved is scary. I pray that it doesn't take a bad incident to make the MTA and Orion do the changes that should have already been implemented.

Ha, please, NJT is always out to make the MTA look bad. :P

How is it that NJT bought 18 of those MCI D4500CTs that the MTA rejected and put them into service immediately, and the MTA followed suit and put the ones they kept in service. And lets not get into the Grummans.

But for real, I'm abit skeptical of the NABIs. I got my eye on them for the next year....

Those NABI's aren't any better. I rode on one and I saw screws and panels on the floor. The only thing I like is that it's a high floor bus but I wasn't impressed. Maybe they will get their act together in 2010. I have more hope for them than I do the (MTA)

I'm glad to see that everyone so far thinks the same that I do about the low-floor hybrids: these buses are no good, be it the earlier hybrids or the O7 NGs. Ever since they've invaded my neighborhood (Riverdale, Bronx), I've never been too pleased. My two biggest problems with them are: the very hard braking/acceleration (in other words, the jerking), and I know that it's most likely not the fault of the bus drivers. The other problem is the smaller amount of space in them as opposed to the old high-floors. Before the NG arrival in late October or something, the 7:33 AM Bx10 bus departing from my bus stop (the corner of Kappock Street and Johnson Avenue, headed to 231st Street/Broadway) was always an Orion V that was almost always on time and not too crowded. Ever since that bus morphed into an Orion VII NG, it has rarely been on time, and has always been packed to the brim. As a result, many passengers are left behind at the bus stop, and the bus skips all stops until 231st Street and Kingsbridge Avenue, where many people get off.

I have to disagree with 100% about the NGs being the cause of that problem on the Bx10. I took that bus from 239/Riverdale Av for 2 years and 231/bway or 238/bailey for the other 2 high school to and it was having issues even when the RTS were still there. The bus would never come on time (it'd either be 5 mins early or 10-15 late) the 7:52 at 238 would either come by 7:49 or with the 8:02 right behind it. By the time it hit 231 st there was no room at all and it essentially would go LTD to either Sedgwick or Bronx Science. The problem is the fact the route doesn't have the right headways so buses get stuck at stops and bunch miserably (ive seen up to 5 in a row).

The NGs do seemingly get packed quicker than an O5 but in all honest the Bx10 should be running artics during rush hours.

Those NABI's aren't any better. I rode on one and I saw screws and panels on the floor. The only thing I like is that it's a high floor bus but I wasn't impressed. Maybe they will get their act together in 2010. I have more hope for them than I do the (MTA)
That's why I said I'm skeptical about the NABIs because the ride quality and the way certain buses look makes me raise my eyebrow. These buses are something to keep an eye on....

NABI will not deal with the MTA at all, just like the dispute with New Flyer. We've alienated ourselves.

NABI will not deal with the MTA at all, just like the dispute with New Flyer. We've alienated ourselves.

Yes we have and it bothers me greatly because we are stuck dealing with businesses that are making cheap buses, though Nova could be a different story. Nova aside, I want to see something different than Orion on the streets of NYC. I hope and pray that the new leadership under Jay Walder will be able to restore the relationship that we had with New Flyer and even MCI and that NABI will give us a shot in the future.

The MTA continues to squander our money. The new NG buses should have been thoroughly tested before being placed into service. I read this story too and started cracking up. But it's not funny when affects our pockets and service. The RTS buses are reliable stick with those and leave the low-floor NG buses for the suburbs. I really wish they would get rid of the two piece buses. The roads are too small for those things.

Wow! What crappy O7s have you guys been riding because the O7NGs out here on Staten Island aren't really bad at all. They're faster and see more service time than the O5s out there, especially on the weekends.

That's because theyve been broken in already.

These new ones need a VERY LONG breaking in period. Actually, most of them...

JAMs hybrids have Been pretty efficient.

I'm actually happy QV didn't get these.... Those 2004 O7s r IMO The best hybrids.

The MTA continues to squander our money. The new NG buses should have been thoroughly tested before being placed into service. I read this story too and started cracking up. But it's not funny when affects our pockets and service. The RTS buses are reliable stick with those and leave the low-floor NG buses for the suburbs. I really wish they would get rid of the two piece buses. The roads are too small for those things.

The artics? I think you are alone on that, they can handle tight turns.

The RTS is FAR from the holy bus you guys all make it out to be...

CAS has been really taking care if their buses now. The 99 O Vs are always clean, some have the O 7NG LED flood lights at the doors..

O7NG Wise those buses are doing pretty good ( other than the Seagull S*%t all over the place..)

Archived