MegaBus Flips Over outside of Buffalo, NY

Pablo M 201

12 hurt when bus overturns on Thruway near Buffalo

Story.jpg

CLARENCE, N.Y. (WSYR-TV/AP) - Authorities say weather conditions, including high winds may have caused a bus carrying 12 passengers to overturn on the New York State Thruway outside Buffalo. The Megabus was heading from New York City to Toronto.

State police say three passengers were treated at the scene and nine were taken to hospitals after the Megabus double-decker bus overturned around 3:20 a.m. Thursday on westbound Interstate 90 in Clarence, 10 miles east of Buffalo.

All injuries were minor, the most severe being a broken shoulder and laceration. The accident occurred three miles east of Exit 49, blocking the lane for about three hours.

Investigators at the scene said the bus went off the right shoulder and rolled onto its side. State Police say the cause of the accident appears to be unsafe lane change combined with the weather conditions.

The accident occurred as snow and high winds gusting to 68 mph slammed western New York. Most schools in the Buffalo area have canceled classes as forecasts call for hazardous conditions caused by blowing snow.

Wednesday's storm dropped up to 10 inches of snow on parts of eastern New York.

http://www.9wsyr.com/news/local/story/12-hurt-when-bus-overturns-on-Thruway-near-Buffalo/vgPj2K0leUiG_pWJrbhQQA.cspx

This is just great. I'm taking Megabus down to DC next month and now I think I should be taking Bolt Bus or Amtrak if the weather conditions end up being unpleasant.

I'm going to say this is wind related. It's possible the lower floor had most of the people, making the top lighter & easier to blow over. Might sound counter-intuitive, but only a hard turn will flip a bus with a fully loaded upper floor because of the increased weight holding it on the ground.

- A

I'm going to say this is wind related. It's possible the lower floor had most of the people, making the top lighter & easier to blow over. Might sound counter-intuitive, but only a hard turn will flip a bus with a fully loaded upper floor because of the increased weight holding it on the ground.

- A

guys also Buffalo might have been getting a big snowstorm as a lake effect blizzard is supposed to start last night as well in addition to the wind. with that said i dont understand why some bus drivers on long distance bus lines like mega and greyhound will drive at 'full speed' (if this caused this accident)in bad weather.

While I'm not taking MegaBus, I'm taking GreyHound to Toronto later on tonight and Buffalo is one of those stops.:confused:

You have no worries on Megabus, I have taken it to Montreal from Toronto and back and you will be find dont worry, its just a weather related accident the driver was going just a little too fast for the weather thank god every one is ok

- A

I've used Megabus 4 times. There's never been an instance in which more people were on the lower level than the upper level.

Archived