MTA in trouble for retiring Coney Island's R42s?

mark1447

Is it true the (MTA) got in trouble for retiring the R42 Coney Island rebuilt since they were not 40+ years old by the feds? Did they pay a fine and has this happened before too?

Got it from someone just wanted to be sure and add to it.

Is it true the (MTA) got in trouble for retiring the R42 Coney Island rebuilt since they were not 40+ years old by the feds? Did they pay a fine and has this happened before too?

Got it from someone just wanted to be sure and add to it.

I'm not 100% sure, but I think this (Fed money) is why the R44s are sticking around for a few more years. I don't think it had anything to do with the R42s though. When the R44s were built, all the system modifications (tunnel widening and what not) was all paid for by the feds.

Those R42 cars when they started being dumped about January of 2008 or so, some of those cars were not in service for 40 years yet. These cars were designed I believed for at least 35-40 years. That would be really something if that were the case in which (NYCT) gets in trouble for that.

I personally wonder why the R40Ms were all retired though. They seemed in much better shape than the R42s.

Oh well I'm just gald the R32s are still running. I'd much rather the R32s over the R42s.

For starters, the R40Ms looked better, but that didn't necessarily mean that they ran better. They were older than the R42s so after the MTA got rid of its problematic cars, it got rid of the cars based on how they had aged. That's why by January of 2008, after the R160s were delivered to ENY, R42CIs were gone. It sucks though that the MTA never saved a single R42CI.

There was no need. The Cease Pool by the Sea did a bad job with the "GOH" so why save a car that would require more maintenance once in the museum collection.

Why not though? They saved four Phase 2 R32s even though those retired first. There's a pair of GE Rebuilds at Floyd Bennett Field as well for other purposes than the museum but there's a chance that they may come back to NYCT property and be preserved as well.

Why not though? They saved four Phase 2 R32s even though those retired first. There's a pair of GE Rebuilds at Floyd Bennett Field as well for other purposes than the museum but there's a chance that they may come back to NYCT property and be preserved as well.

The R32s at Floyd belong to the NYPD for training use at the ESU School, I don't think they will be coming back. What would NYCT give them in return, they serve a better purpose as training cars them they would sitting at CIY.

But why have both a MK and CI rebuilt versions of the same car, the is no reason since yard space is limited. An the reason they saved a set of Phase 2 R32s, was because they were the first ones delivered, I think they were the lead set on the train from Sunnyside Yard to GCT.

The R32s at Floyd belong to the NYPD for training use at the ESU School, I don't think they will be coming back. What would NYCT give them in return, they serve a better purpose as training cars them they would sitting at CIY.

But why have both a MK and CI rebuilt versions of the same car, the is no reason since yard space is limited. An the reason they saved a set of Phase 2 R32s, was because they were the first ones delivered, I think they were the lead set on the train from Sunnyside Yard to GCT.

They were the lead pair to GCT. Anyways, The point I'm explaining is why did the MTA save four of the Phase 2s when they were the first of the R32s to be disposed of and none of the R42CIs which were the first to be disposed of as well. Whether a pair made the first run is irrelevant in this case because they didn't save the first 4454-4455, the first R42s in service. They didn't save the first R40 Slants that entered service either, and they didn't even save an R40A Slant. The MTA just randomly plucked a pair of cars to put into the museum. The fact that the MTA didn't save an R42CI is inexcusable. Yard space is not an excuse either because there are so many places where subway cars can be stored, and when the museum fleet grows, the MTA sure as hell can't scrap them because the RPC will step in and prevent that, just like what they did in the 1980s. In a few decades, the MTA will have no choice but to relocate their museum equipment with extra space, and may just as well build an exhibit solely for ALL museum fleet instead of swapping trains in and out of Court Street.

They were the lead pair to GCT. Anyways, The point I'm explaining is why did the MTA save four of the Phase 2s when they were the first of the R32s to be disposed of and none of the R42CIs which were the first to be disposed of as well. Whether a pair made the first run is irrelevant in this case because they didn't save the first 4454-4455, the first R42s in service. They didn't save the first R40 Slants that entered service either, and they didn't even save an R40A Slant. The MTA just randomly plucked a pair of cars to put into the museum. The fact that the MTA didn't save an R42CI is inexcusable. Yard space is not an excuse either because there are so many places where subway cars can be stored, and when the museum fleet grows, the MTA sure as hell can't scrap them because the RPC will step in and prevent that, just like what they did in the 1980s. In a few decades, the MTA will have no choice but to relocate their museum equipment with extra space, and may just as well build an exhibit solely for ALL museum fleet instead of swapping trains in and out of Court Street.

RPC does not own or want to own any of the SMEEs that are being pulled from service right now.

Also, they do not pick cars at random. They look for those with some historical value or cars that are in good condition.

But hey, I'm just going off what I have been told by the people in charge of this stuff.

And again, why do they need to have 2 of the EXACT same car?

i think those cars could have lasted if they were stainless steel didnt see major problems with the 40-42s but the rusting they had the best a/c in the system

But are you taking mechanical problems that can't be seen so easily in account?

RPC does not own or want to own any of the SMEEs that are being pulled from service right now.

Also, they do not pick cars at random. They look for those with some historical value or cars that are in good condition.

But hey, I'm just going off what I have been told by the people in charge of this stuff.

And again, why do they need to have 2 of the EXACT same car?

Wrong; RPC owns R32s 3350 and 3351. Despite the R42CI and the R42MK being the same car, they were rebuilt by two different overhaul companies and the significance of that alone is a reason why an R42CI should have been saved.

Wrong; RPC owns R32s 3350 and 3351. Despite the R42CI and the R42MK being the same car, they were rebuilt by two different overhaul companies and the significance of that alone is a reason why an R42CI should have been saved.

I thought the TA owned them. There not sitting with the rest of RPC's stuff. In any event, there is no need to waste yard space on them.

Archived