MTA in trouble for retiring Coney Island's R42s?

mark1447

RPC does owns 3350-51, The NYCTM owns 3352-53.

Thanks for confirming.

Whenever it rained water would leak into the interior of the R42. However, the R42 was a much sturdier car than the R32.

What are you talking about? With the R32s durable body AND frame, it's more sturdier than all cars R33-R44.

If the car is leaking water, i'm not inclined to believe it is particularly study either.

Yep, once water gets into a car, game over. It will get into places that you can't see unless you have the car up on horses and remove some of the under car equipment. Working at a trolley museum, I have seen this first hand, just because a car looks good from the out side, that means nothing at all if it is rotting away on the inside. Thats the part of the car most people never see.

Door pockets can be one of the worst spots for water, as well as inside the roof, and underneath window sills.

Also there can be other structural defects not visible to the naked eye such as car sag, which means the shape and structure of the car has started to go bad. That is actually a much more serious structural problem than rust.

So what lines did these R42s from CI run on? for as far back as I can remember, all their lines mostly had 68s and 40s, and only recenly 160s.

The last time I rode an R42CI was on the (:P in June 2007.

Occasionally they ran mixed with the Modifieds so that most could not tell the car types apart and it looked like a uniform train to the average passenger.

Archived