Big changes at ABC News as Chief Anchor Charles Gibson retires

Shortline Bus

big changes will occur starting tommorow 12/11/09 at ABC News which is Ch.7 in NYC. with the retirement of senior anchor Charles Gibson(best known for replacing the legendary Peter Jennings upon Jennings death in 2005)a game of musical chairs will occur at the alaphabet network's news division. highlighted by Diane Sawyer replacing Charles Gibson and the former White House Spokesman for President Clinton, taking over Ms. Sawyer's co-hosting seat on Good Morning America.' here the story.

http://www.wkbw.com/news/local/78995172.html

any reactions?

big changes will occur starting tommorow 12/11/09 at ABC News which is Ch.7 in NYC. with the retirement of senior anchor Charles Gibson(best known for replacing the legendary Peter Jennings upon Jennings death in 2005)a game of musical chairs will occur at the alaphabet network's news division. highlighted by Diane Sawyer replacing Charles Gibson and the former White House Spokesman for President Clinton, taking over Ms. Sawyer's co-hosting seat on Good Morning America.' here the story.

http://www.wkbw.com/news/local/78995172.html

any reactions?

ABC news has had vacancy at the anchors chair since peter jennings step down because of illness i think diane sawyer is good choice as an replacement but with the rise of 24/7 news networks most americans dont rely on network news programs anymore and get their news from cable therefore the network news has become less important and ratings have declined

ABC news has had vacancy at the anchors chair since peter jennings step down because of illness i think diane sawyer is good choice as an replacement but with the rise of 24/7 news networks most americans dont rely on network news programs anymore and get their news from cable therefore the network news has become less important and ratings have declined

good point. the days of cronckite, huntley/brinkley, jennings and brokaw are long over as the only source for national tv news in the us.

All this will mean is NBC's Brian Williams will get more viewers. He's been groomed to be the anchor when Brokaw was still there. I think he's probably the best of the group.

besides mr. gibson, another long time veteran newsman is also leaving the anchor chair but getting very notice. PBS's Jim Lehrer host of the "Newshour'(he also moderated several presdential debates as well)is also giving his anchor chair as well sometime early in 2010. Lehrer who has been an anchor for over 35 years at PBS since the days of the McNeil/Leher Newshour in the 1970's will now be replaced as lead anchor of the "newshour' by another female , Gwen Ifill host of "Washington Week" & former CNN Anchor Judy Woodroff.

intresting times in US television news history indeed.

Well Katie Couric shows that a pretty face doesn't equal ratings. 'Experience' is the name of the 'game'.

Not that i really cared, but I think the guy she replaced, Bob Schiefer was much better than she is.

actually cbs did oringally offer the job to mr. schiefer when long time anchor dan rather was fired in early 2005 for botched reporting on gw bush's allegled deferment out of being sent to the vietnam war by his dad.

schiefer declined citing his 'older age' and did not want to leave his job as host/director of 'face the nation' either and was only the 'takecarer' anchor until couric was hired.

actually cbs did oringally offer the job to mr. schiefer when long time anchor dan rather was fired in early 2005 for botched reporting on gw bush's allegled deferment out of being sent to the vietnam war by his dad.

schiefer declined citing his 'older age' and did not want to leave his job as host/director of 'face the nation' either and was only the 'takecarer' anchor until couric was hired.

the katie couric being named anchor of cbs news is a prime example of the network evening news moving toward a tabloid syle rather than a journalistic approach a cronkite, reasoner or a chancellor took when they were the main anchors and they take this tabloid approach to compete with the 24/7 cable news networks

Damn, Charles Gibson was a cool guy. But I eventually stopped watching ABC back in 2007 and headed for NBC when new shows such as Chuck and the seasonal return of Heroes hit the air. Lately I've been watching only NBC shows and nothing else, especially the late night comedy and even the evening news.

Damn, Charles Gibson was a cool guy. But I eventually stopped watching ABC back in 2007 and headed for NBC when new shows such as Chuck and the seasonal return of Heroes hit the air. Lately I've been watching only NBC shows and nothing else, especially the late night comedy and even the evening news.

actually, nbc only ratings success right now, besides nfl 'sunday night football' has been in the news/information department. nbc's nightly news w/ brain williams and the 'today' show is still america's most watched dinner time and morrning/daytime newsshows. other than that they are in hell regarding the rest of their daily schedule as ithe peacock network is in 4th aka last place of the '4' major stations in the national raings.(Nielsen does consider the "CW" a network but counts the CW shows in the ratings)

What is it going to take for the CW to be concidered a 'network'? It's co-owned by CBS and the WB. And meanwhile poor MyNetwork aka ex-UPN, is just tossed aside as a non-entity.

I liked this NBC show calle 'Las Vegas', but was pissed that they ended the show on a cliffhanger and that their new Knight Rider show did so poorly. I could care less about NBC.

Fox otoh, is great. I love shows like House and Fringe and I tend to watch their 10pm news show.

If you mean Fox 5 news, it would be nice if they dropped the entertainment segments. I especially hate their promotions of American Idol.

I meant Fox News as in the 24/7 channel. But yes, Fox 5 needs to cut the crap. They have alot of crappy shows like TMZ and all the failed sit comms.

In the words of Peter Griffin..."And now what ever Fox is limping to the barn with."

+1

As long as I can watch Beck, Hannity and O'Reilly...i'm happy. :cool:

of those major weekday fox news hosts, the only one that seems to be 'professional' in letting their guests speak even political rivals is hannity. beck and o'reily scream at anyone and never lets guests speak that opposes their agenda.

MSNBC is not much better with Chris Matthews being as bad as the loud mouth Fox News hosts.

so back to topic, does anyone here still watch the big '3' (NBC ABC or CBS)dinner time evening news shows at least 3-4x a week?

Archived