Financially challenged MTA looks to slash bus routes, cut W, Z subway lines

Harry

Facing a massive budget crisis, the cash-squeezed MTA is moving to implement sweeping service cuts - again - including shutting down dozens of bus routes.

Two subway lines also would be wiped off the map and four stations would be shuttered overnight under the plan expected to go before a Metropolitan Transportation Authority committee on Monday.

If it sounds familiar, it is. The lineup is the same roster of reductions threatened earlier this year when the MTA was lobbying for a state bailout. The cuts never happened.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009/12/11/2009-12-11_budget_busted_financially_challenged_mta_looks_to_slash_many_routes_cut_subways.html#ixzz0ZOIhLRSF

post-1-13328858124_thumb.jpg

post-1-13328858124_thumb.jpg

First off, let me say this: that is a good looking R68/A (W) train!

And secondly: there is absolutely no way that these cuts are going to take place...again. If it was stopped once, it'll be stopped again, and again, and again.

First off, let me say this: that is a good looking R68/A (W) train!

And secondly: there is absolutely no way that these cuts are going to take place...again. If it was stopped once, it'll be stopped again, and again, and again.

But this time Albany is warning not to expect a bailout.

if it means another tax increase to bailout the (MTA) good riddance to the (W) and (Z)

again i dont support any cuts but again the (MTA) is using the wrong lines to propose cut in subway service. why is not the (V) not on this list for ending weekday evening service after 830pm? also if the (W) had to be cut at all imo, it should be weekday evenings after 8pm. just my takes.:tdown:

This is nonsense! The MTA continues to cry they are broke! The agency was caught cooking the books, having two sets of books, yet nothing happended, we still paid more. I am tired of the mismanagement at the top and middle tier. People in this region depend on the trains and buses and for them to even think of making service cuts at $2.25 is absurd! What are we paying for?! We have all these new trains and buses yet they are filthy already and service remains stagent! Paterson had the former Chairman resign and for what? They still don't know what the hell they are doing! Same game new players! Even with ridership up, the MTA is still broke. Everyone in the Tri-state is being taken for a ride. Since Bloomberg bought his way into office again, why doesn't he plug the deficit at the MTA with his money or give them a loan? We as riders need to come together and rally against their proposed cuts, and impending fair hike yet again which is coming! It not fair to any of us in the area. The MTA is one of the most mismanaged agencies. If it was a corporation they would be bankrupt! Some of those big wigs on Madison Ave and Borough Hall Jay Street Brooklyn need to take a pay cut. Start with that not our services!

:mad::tdown:

The MTA always cries that they have no money and guess waht always happens? They get money, nothing new at all here.

Exactly. I'm not worrying about a single thing, these service cuts are not going to happen anytime soon.

Always around contract time.We have no money for services and definitely none for any new contract raises.

I agree with DevilBus65 on this statement :tup:

In the span of many years as a commuter,speaking with bus drivers,train operators and my ex brother in law who works in NYC Transit,we all agree on one thing and that the (MTA) is as corrupt as the mafia itself.

(MTA) always cries about not having money and the simple fact is whether they get more money from Albany or have surpluses,they will always find a way to fritter it away.

If i had a dollar for when anyone tells me that the (MTA) has 2 or 3 sets of books under the table and not have money i would be rich right now.

One major problem is the high paying six or seven figure bureaucrats who sit on their duffs and mismanage the revenue and the (MTA) itself down to the ground.

Let's see if this new guy brings desperate changes to our system.

Archived