Financially challenged MTA looks to slash bus routes, cut W, Z subway lines

Harry

I don't get why people are blaming the (MTA). The State government has refused to provide $343 million they previously promised, so they should take stick for this.

It amazes me how the legislature left loopholes in the tax law that caused revenues to fall short by over $200 million. The real crooks are the Senators and Assemblymen who are pretty much in the pay of those who want tax cuts. Apparently, businesses owned by one person wasn't liable for the payroll tax that fell short of expected revenue, which was calculated using one person-owned businesses as taxpayers.

And why the state would cut another $143 million from transit is beyond me. Failing to provide essential services like inexpensive mass transit at a time of economic weakness points to a gross failure of the government.

Unfortunately, the suburbanites want nothing to do with mass transit or taxes to raise revenue for transit, and will happily elect leaders who promise not to support transit in any way.

Of course, nothing will ever change because the same "leaders" will keep getting re-elected every time, continuing the problem ad infinitum.

Which comes back to my point that the city should just break away from upstate. To hell with them, the state pretty much leeches off the city by taxing us to death. It's time that money be kept in the city and put back into city usage.

They should break up the MTA and let the state keep the LIRR and MNCR and let the city deal with the subways and city/MTA buses.

Which comes back to my point that the city should just break away from upstate. To hell with them, the state pretty much leeches off the city by taxing us to death. It's time that money be kept in the city and put back into city usage.

They should break up the MTA and let the state keep the LIRR and MNCR and let the city deal with the subways and city/MTA buses.

not the worst idea in the world. nyc and dc could become the 51st and 52nd states of the union lol.:confused::cool:

Heck they could save money by moving HQ out of the pricey midtown area to one of buroughs not named Manhattan for cheaper rent. Privatize the MTA, almost all publicly funded projects turn into a money pit and a bueracracy.

EDIT: Making NYC a state would be a bad idea, the reason being it would give Bloomturd more power (like he needs it).

Bloomberg promise us free crosstown buses...I guess that wont' happen.

And Bloomberg is also a fake, a liar, and a f***ing hypocrite. You know he's lying when his mouth is moving, unless he's praising one of his business buddies as "a competent guy" (his favorite phrase) despite facts that show otherwise. Otherwise, he's full of s***.

And Bloomberg is also a fake, a liar, and a f***ing hypocrite. You know he's lying when his mouth is moving, unless he's praising one of his business buddies as "a competent guy" (his favorite phrase) despite facts that show otherwise. Otherwise, he's full of s***.

NYC needs to wake for once!

Sooner later those living in New York City will wake up...

Glad i moved out when i did...

And why not? Albany hasn't delievered much for the city. They take more than their fair share of revenues from the city.

NYC would be better off if it broke off from upstate.

this is true 90 percent of new york state income comes from the city and the city does not get an equal return for it money in sevices and the state year after year takes away more money from the mta what do u expect after a while the weil runs dry and i do believe the mta is in serious financial trouble

Ah,the wisdom of some.Someone from Bronx (?) wants the city to secede

from the rest of the state.I have a better idea.How about the Bronx seceding from the rest of the city? Might solve some money problems for the rest of the city.

Ah,the wisdom of some.Someone from Bronx (?) wants the city to secede

from the rest of the state.I have a better idea.How about the Bronx seceding from the rest of the city? Might solve some money problems for the rest of the city.

What ever did the Bronx do to the rest of the city???

i guess the (N) will be local along broadway again and no more skip stop service on the (J) i think albany is to blame they keep cutting the mta budget and the mta is to blame for not giving their workers their well deserved raises sooner and skipping all this court action which made no sense they lost in binding arbitration

i guess the (N) will be local along broadway again and no more skip stop service on the (J) i think albany is to blame they keep cutting the mta budget and the mta is to blame for not giving their workers their well deserved raises sooner and skipping all this court action which made no sense they lost in binding arbitration

If I were you, I wouldn't sweat any of this talk at all. Trust me, the cuts aren't going to happen! I remember hearing some cuts that were to happen in the early 1990s which would have resulted in the (A) train operating along Sixth Avenue; it obviously didn't happen!

I don't get why people are blaming the (MTA). The State government has refused to provide $343 million they previously promised, so they should take stick for this.

It amazes me how the legislature left loopholes in the tax law that caused revenues to fall short by over $200 million. The real crooks are the Senators and Assemblymen who are pretty much in the pay of those who want tax cuts. Apparently, businesses owned by one person wasn't liable for the payroll tax that fell short of expected revenue, which was calculated using one person-owned businesses as taxpayers.

And why the state would cut another $143 million from transit is beyond me. Failing to provide essential services like inexpensive mass transit at a time of economic weakness points to a gross failure of the government.

Unfortunately, the suburbanites want nothing to do with mass transit or taxes to raise revenue for transit, and will happily elect leaders who promise not to support transit in any way.

Of course, nothing will ever change because the same "leaders" will keep getting re-elected every time, continuing the problem ad infinitum.

amen albany are a bunch of idiots and if re elect these fools we are the bigger idiots

By the way as far as i know the (N) will be running in the montague tunnel late nights. Not like earlier proposed.

actualy the daly news article forgot to mention that yes late night/overnight Bway Local (N) thru lower manhattan is on the chopping block again. it means that the City Hall, Cordlandt(queens bound only for now) Rector, Whitehall-South Ferry, Court and Lawerence stations would close from about 12 midnight-6am daily.

again as a compromise imo i have no problems with the (MTA)closing only the rector station on the (N)(R) only overnights which is 1-2 blocks away from either the wall st (4) station or the (1)rector st sop. with the whitehall transfer connection now open to the (1) that is an alternative.

however the other stations particuarly the city hall & Corlandt station(path transfer) whitehall(si ferry) court st((2)(4) (several NYCT Brooklyn buses) and soon to be finished lawerence-jay st transfer (A)(F) the other stations needed to be open 24/7. not to mention an alternative to the busy Lex (4) line especially during 'go's. so bad job again with the planned cuts. just my takes on the proposed lower manhattan closings late nights.

Archived