Cuts the MTA is likely to implement next year

Harry

Actually MTA could cut all NON MTA Bus express buses outside of Staten Island, and in some cases reroute lesser used MTA Bus express bus routes to cover the cut NYCT express buses.

Also the BxM3 IS the only bus on Getty Square/South Broadway on Thanksgiving and Christmas (not counting 12-1am runs on the W2 and W4)

Does anyone know how, if the Bx4 and Bx14 are cut, how disabled passengers are supposed to travel along Westchester Avenue? The only handicapped accessible stations are Pelham Bay Park, Simpson Street, and 3 Av-149th (feel free to correct me if I'm wrong). Without those buses, it will be virtually impossible for disabled passengers to travel along that stretch. That is, unless they shell out extra money for Access-a-Ride.

And I have to agree with Grand Concourse. Do Riverdale riders really need a BxM18, a BxM1, and a BxM2? Let them take one bus into the city and travel from there. The rest of the Bronx has to do it. There are many express buses that can be cut.

i agree that a few low usage express buses should be cut 'to share the pain' citywide before any of the local buses are. while i agree with rokusix ton 1 point, that weekend bxm2 should be canned as riverdale avenue riders can use the bx7 to washington heights and transfer to the m2 m4 or m5 to get to midtown for disabled/senior riders who don't wamt to or use the (1) subway.

however the bxm1 is needed imo 7 days a week since it takes out of the way to get to the east side from west riverdale area/inwood. although i am aware metro north is nearby not around is going to midtown.

regarding grand concourse proposal to create a express bus bus transfer point among low usage express bus lines where exactly do you create one? In the bronx and brooklyn it would be diffcult to create one since the (MTA)spring creek lines (ie bm1 bm2 bm3 bm4 etc)are traveling from different locations than the south brooklyn (NYCT)x-27/28 routes?

so in nutshell these (MTA)bus manhattan routes imo if needed should be cut or merged that i know about. i don't know the queens-manhattan (MTA) express buses that well so i pass on my takes on those.

weekdays

X20

X25

merge the following

BXM7a and BXM7b. peak direction am to manhattan some buses start at City Island weekdays 530am-9am(actual service increase)and pm rush (3pm-7pm) extended to City Island.

BXM6 Rush Hours only. all other times the BXM10 serves Parkchester or use the (6)subway.

BM4 becomes a weekday only route.

Brooklyn express bus reductions

bm1 and bm3 last bus to manhattan ends at 12 noon and leaving midtown at 11pm instead of 12 Midnight weekdays. only the bm2 should continue having a midnight depature from 57th Street.

weekends

Reduce BM4 to service every 2-3 hours similar to the BM5. Operate it only between 7am-8pm.

Can saturday/sunday BM4 Bedford Park branch. Riders in that area can use the BM3 or use the BX10 BX26 or BX28 and transfer to the Woodlawn BXM4 branch.

End Sunday X27/28 bus service. there enough ridership on saturdays to warrant this service.

merge the bxm7 and bxm7a on weekends/holidays running via Buckner service road between Coop City and White plains road.

just my takes. reactions?

I don't know why people are bringing up express buses when there wasn't ONE express route on that list...

let's leave that for another discussion....

let's worry about what they are planning to get rid of, or limit....

Of the weekday cuts....

Brooklyn: B23, B25, B37, B39, B51 and B75

- B23 has always been a low ridership route... areas that the B23 serves west of CI av, most those riders take the B11 or the B9 to get where they have to go... on the B23 east of CI av, these are riders that pretty much ride out no further than McDonald...

- B25, b/c this parallels a subway line

- B37, low ridership route w/ high headways, especially w/ the distance it travels, relative to the other Brooklyn routes on here...

- B39 & B51, this the MTA basically implying to the elderly/hanidcapped, that they find the nearest ADA compliant station & use it....

- B75, b/c it parallels a subway station, and it's relatively high headways

* I can see why they'd want to get rid of the B23 (this line is more a convenience than it is vital), & the B37 (the majority of people that travel to the GENERAL area that the B37 serves, are already on a subway, or on the B63)... Even the locals along the commercial part of 3rd av (south of where the Belt & gowanus diverge) have given up on the B37...

Bronx: Bx4, Bx14, Bx20, Bx34

- Bx4 b/c it parallels subway lines...

- Bx14 b/c it parallels the subway, along w/ its low ridership in general

- Bx20 b/c it's redundant for the most part, also low ridership...

- Bx34, someone else can take a guess as to why they might want to get rid of this, b/c I can't think of anything obvious, or immediate....

* Only route that should be gone out of this list is the Bx20... I still think something else should be done w/ the Bx14, but I'm gonna leave "routing ideas" out of this particular post.....

Manhattan: M6, M8, M10, M18, M27, M30

- M6, maybe b/c of its redundancy?

- M8, low ridership, compared to the other x-town routes...

- M10 b/c it parallels a subway line in a more residential part of manhattan (CPW)...

- M18 due to it's high headways & low ridership...

- M27 & M30 b/c they're either part time, or supplemental routes...

* I can see why they'd want to get rid of the M18, M27, and the M30....

Queens: Q26, Q56, Q74, Q75, Q84

- Q26 b/c partly, it's a supplement line... and the part where it branches off on Hollis ct. blvd, it has low ridership....

- Q56 b/c it parallels a subway line...

- Q74, I won't say it's supplemental... but it is more of a convenience than it is vital to the areas it serves....

- Q75 b/c of its low ridership....

- Q84 b/c of its low ridership, COMPARED to the other 3 "main" routes that use Merrick blvd....

* Out of this list, I think the Q56 & the Q84 should stay....

Of the overnight/nightly cuts

Brooklyn: B7 (dead), B14, B31 (has a slight pulse), B45, B48 (has some night riders, B43 has more though), B57 (has a slight pulse), B64 (pretty much dead, but I think this has to do w/ residents complaining more than anything), B65 (dead), B67 (dead), B77 (has a pulse)

* B14, B45, B77 overnight services I think should stay....

Bronx: Bx10

* I still say this has to do with some Riverdalians complaints/complainers... although I do think that it's late night (truncated) route is odd....

Manhattan: M1, M2, M16, M22, M23, M42, M50, M66, M79, M96, M102, M103 M104

* someone else can comment on late night service on manhattan routes....

Queens: Q30

* I can maybe see why... after a certain hour, schools are closed (which make up a good portion of that route's riders), and just the overall feel of the areas it serves, along the HHE there... If those residents are traveling somewhere during late night hrs., they're gonna be in their, or someone else's car, not the Q30....

I don't know why people are bringing up express buses when there wasn't ONE express route on that list...

let's worry about what they are planning to get rid of, or limit....

Of the weekday cuts....

- M10 b/c it parallels a subway line in a more residential part of manhattan (CPW)...

* I can see why they'd want to get rid of the M18, M27, and the M30....

- Q26 b/c partly, it's a supplement line... and the part where it branches off on Hollis ct. blvd, it has low ridership....

- Q74, I won't say it's supplemental... but it is more of a convenience than it is vital to the areas it serves....

- Q84 b/c of its low ridership, COMPARED to the other 3 "main" routes that use Merrick blvd....

Queens: Q30

* I can maybe see why... after a certain hour, schools are closed (which make up a good portion of that route's riders), and just the overall feel of the areas it serves, along the HHE there... If those residents are traveling somewhere during late night hrs., they're gonna be in their, or someone else's car, not the Q30....

Certain people have an anti-express bus bias. Every discussion turns into an "express buses are evil thread".

I don't know much about the bus routes in Brooklyn, the Bronx, or Staten Island. As for Manhattan, the M18 is a joke. It gets decent rush hour ridership but middays there's rarely more than 5 people on a bus. The M3, M100, and M101 run much more frequently and serve the same general area. The M8 should stay. It has a unique route and serves areas hard to reach by subway.

The Q74 should stay-it serves Townsend Harris and Queens College students. The Q75 should be reduced to rush hour only. The Q56 serves a portion of Jamaica Avenue not served by the (J). I've seen rush hour Q84 buses that were SRO. The Q84 has higher ridership than the Q1 and possibly the Q36. I don't know why it's on the list.

:cool:

my replies to b35's comments in black.

Of the weekday cuts....

Brooklyn: B23, B25, B37, B39, B51 and B75

- B23 has always been a low ridership route... areas that the B23 serves west of CI av, most those riders take the B11 or the B9 to get where they have to go... on the B23 east of CI av, these are riders that pretty much ride out no further than McDonald...

- B25, b/c this parallels a subway line

- B37, low ridership route w/ high headways, especially w/ the distance it travels, relative to the other Brooklyn routes on here...

- B39 & B51, this the MTA basically implying to the elderly/hanidcapped, that they find the nearest ADA compliant station & use it....

- B75, b/c it parallels a subway station, and it's relatively high headways.

Off these cuts which will elimante the forementioned routes i say this.

B23-i never understand why the (MTA)has been opposed to buying and using 35-foot buses that used on westchester county's Beeline 16. It would solve the problem of using vechiles on routes with light ridership like the B23, B31(weekends/late evenings)m8 and Q79 for instance.

that aside at worse only sunday B23 should be cut imo unless this line could be extended.

B-25, B75 and B39*(unless merged with another route like the Q59)late night ridership is very light. Most of the nearby subway stations on these routes slated for cuts are not ada accessible and thus the MTA *subject for lawsuit. IMO Only late night service on these lines above should be cut as the (A)=B25, (F)=B75 and (J)subway lines are alternatives.

B37-the question is whether weekend service should be cut. the (NYCT)is correct imo to want to end overnight b37 service as the (N)®Local and the B63 are nearby alternatives. there enough ridership weekdays until 11pm to keep the b37 running as when i still lived in brooklyn many riders from bay ridge and sunset park mostly female riders use it. imo the b37 should run weekdays 5am-11pm saturdays 630am-11pm and sundays 7am-10pm.

B35's via Church oringal comments.

- Bx34, someone else can take a guess as to why they might want to get rid of this, b/c I can't think of anything obvious, or immediate....

* Only route that should be gone out of this list is the Bx20... I still think something else should be done w/ the Bx14, but I'm gonna leave "routing ideas" out of this particular post.

agree 100% on your(b35) assement on this one. just weekdays have alternative BX7 the housing complex via Henry Hudson Parkway weekdays.

more to come.

now rest of my replies.

again my takes.

M6-until most/all of the stations on the nearby 7th ave subway(1)(2)(3)

bway® local stations are fully ada, this route should stay. however i do think weekend service should end at around 11pm(last bus leaving 59th St Downtown)

m8-this route during daytime/early evening hours does get descent ridership. imo this is a route that would benefit for both short 35-foot buses & a route extension eastbound ie Pathmark shopping center on Pine Street and FDR Drive. imo only overnight service should be cut.

m10-should be saved for the ada reasons. only late evning service should be considered for cuts ending at maybe 11pm 7 nights a week.

m18-unless it merges with another route or extended this route needs to go.

m27-should be a weekday only route as un/rockfeller center workers do use this line to connect to the pa bus terminal.

m30-so long:cry:.

my reply. i agree 100% on above statement but overnight q56 does need to go.

Of the overnight/nightly cuts

Brooklyn: B7 (dead), B14, B31 (has a slight pulse), B45, B48 (has some night riders, B43 has more though), B57 (has a slight pulse), B64 (pretty much dead, but I think this has to do w/ residents complaining more than anything), B65 (dead), B67 (dead), B77 (has a pulse)

* B14, B45, B77 overnight services I think should stay....

my reply. agree on above list. early in 2010 when the b61 is split into '2' routes, the red hook-downtown brooklyn portion(called the b61)should merge with the b77.

i would also add the b64(other than the b1 there no other 'owl' sw brooklyn crosstown bus line until the b35 at 39th St.) b67(there no other bus line to serve methodist hosptial)and B43 to be saved.

Bronx: Bx10

* I still say this has to do with some Riverdalians complaints/complainers... although I do think that it's late night (truncated) route is odd....

my reply. 'Riverdalians' if true are full of bs and wish they were part of either manhattan or yonkers and not the bronx. leave hourly bx10 service during overnights.

sure. my replies based on spending many weekends in manhattan late nights until few years ago lol.

m1 & m2-at least '1' of these lines should still run 24/7 with hourly service. i say the m2 since it seems to get more ridership. how embrassing imo that new york known the world over as the 'city that never sleeps' has no overnight buses along 5th and madison one of the most famous streets on the planet.:mad::tup:

M16, M22, M23, M42, M50, M66, M79, M96- of these crosstown routes on the chopping block imo, the m16, m23 m50 and m66 are worth saving. late evenings and over nights the m23 imo does not need artics.

the m104 could replace the m42 overnight along 42nd between times sq and the un. while the m16 is extended overnights only to javis center to serve 42nd between the pa terminal and 12th avenue.

m102/103-even with the (4)(6)subway nearby, there is a need for at least 30-minute headways on the lex/3rd ave bus coordior. with that said, imo only the m102 owl service should be cut. riders along lenox can use the (3)train or the m7 overnights and transfer at 125th for the m101.

reactions?

reactions?

the q74 is a vital line because the 74 bus is the only line the covers the entire queens college campus and serves as a crosstown between main st and kissena and connects with the union turnpike station which many people use from flushing. the q56 although it runs parallel to the (J), when the (J) goes onto fulton the 56 still runs down jamaica ave and other than the 56 there isnt any other public transportation other than the long four block walk to fulton to catch the (J)

the q74 is a vital line because the 74 bus is the only line the covers the entire queens college campus and serves as a crosstown between main st and kissena and connects with the union turnpike station which many people use from flushing. the q56 although it runs parallel to the (J), when the (J) goes onto fulton the 56 still runs down jamaica ave and other than the 56 there isnt any other public transportation other than the long four block walk to fulton to catch the (J)

nel as a compromise if meant to prevent a total cut would you support making the q74 a rush hour only route and the q56 to lose overnight service daily 1-5am?

yes that is a good compromise i think at the present time the q74 does not run on weekends but yes that would be acceptable

so nel as a compromise what advice would you advise to 'share the pain' fairly if cuts are needed on the queens and other citywide local buses on the list slated for cuts. that assuming the (MTA) which imo this time they telling the trurth about the budget crisis unlike the recent past

Here we go again with these stupid cuts. Why does the Q84 get on the endangered list? The gap between Linden and Merrick is too great. I guess will be even broker when they face fines for not having all of their subway stations ADA-compliant

Here we go again with these stupid cuts. Why does the Q84 get on the endangered list? The gap between Linden and Merrick is too great. I guess will be even broker when they face fines for not having all of their subway stations ADA-compliant

well said. if the (MTA) must make cuts on local buses citywide that run near subway lines that are not ada-compliant ie BX4=(6) q56=(J)(Z) b37=(R)

b25=(A)(C) it should be overnights only when only a handful of wheelchair riders maybe using the bus. in that case, the city could pay for taxifares since i dont think access a ride operates overnights.

The only way I can see it working is if the MTA extends the Q27 to Laurelton, but that route would be too long as it is and send those riders to Flushing.

If the Q56 gets eliminated, the Q55 needs to be extended to Jamaica to avoid an orphanage at the east end. The B77 being extended to Pritchard Square or Bishop Ford (to prevent the B68 from being orphaned) and the B67 to DUMBO will happen if the B75 and B25, respectively, are eliminated.

If the M6 is cut, the M1 needs to have extended hours; this was the plan last year when the M6 was proposed for elimination. The problem is that it leaves the West Village without a north-south route between Canal and Houston other than the M20.

Routes like the M18 and B51 have been on life support for years. IMO, the B39 should be eliminated and when M15 SBS comes, the Houston Street short-turns on weekdays and every other local run on weekends should be extended (weekdays) or rerouted (evenings/weekends) to Marcy Avenue (Lane 6 at the terminal can fit artics). This would spread out operating costs, theoretically, on a route that has a lot of turnover per trip. This could also help relieve the (L) line.

The B23 and B75 could be done with while the B37 could run at least on weekdays IMO. I have seen the amount of riders especially during rush hours.

The B25- I would say cut late night service and use the (A)

The M6 should not be cut. I see many elderly and tourists use that route.

Why would they get rid of the M10 bus? I see alot of people using that bus especially during rush hours.:mad:

M10 would be dropped because most of the avenue it runs has a subway under it and bus routes around.

155th St- Concourse (;)(D)

110th to 153rd St- M2

135th to 110th St- M3

135th to 34th St the (A)(C) (Including (B) till 59th st)

125th to 59th (A)(B)(C)(D)

59th to 34th on Broadway/7th Ave the (1)(2)(3)

And other routes..

Tho i hate it seeing the M10 going, that was my bus route when i use to live in Harlem for over 13+ yrs =(! Prior to 2004.

Anyways.. Bx4 being cut, that sucks, only the (2)(5) WPR Line covers from 149th/3rd to Simpson St while from Simpson/West Farms Rd on Westchester to Whitelock/Westchester is provided by the Bx4/27 bus(Like 5-8 blocks between Simpson/Whitlock) and then (6)<6> Pelham Line from Whitlock to Westchester Sq does all of the Bx4..

M18/Bx34 can go I dont care..

M20.. I would of left it as M10 lol but that would make the M10 longer!

M10 would be dropped because most of the avenue it runs has a subway under it and bus routes around.

155th St- Concourse (;)(D)

110th to 153rd St- M2

135th to 110th St- M3

135th to 34th St the (A)(C) (Including (B) till 59th st)

125th to 59th (A)(B)(C)(D)

59th to 34th on Broadway/7th Ave the (1)(2)(3)

And other routes..

Tho i hate it seeing the M10 going, that was my bus route when i use to live in Harlem for over 13+ yrs =(! Prior to 2004.

Anyways.. Bx4 being cut, that sucks, only the (2)(5) WPR Line covers from 149th/3rd to Simpson St while from Simpson/West Farms Rd on Westchester to Whitelock/Westchester is provided by the Bx4/27 bus(Like 5-8 blocks between Simpson/Whitlock) and then (6)<6> Pelham Line from Whitlock to Westchester Sq does all of the Bx4..

M18/Bx34 can go I dont care..

M20.. I would of left it as M10 lol but that would make the M10 longer!

mark are you aware of the ada isssue in which disabled/wheelchair riders use buses like the m10 q56 bx4 etc because most of the subway station are still not accessible for them breaking a national law for mass transit access? plus access a ride is expensive and as far as i know does not operate overnights.

Yes i do understand, thats why im against routes such as the Bx4 from being eliminated.

M18 you hardly see any1 in there, more like 2 buses running along the line from 168th to 110th St..

But i doubt the t/a would cut these, i bet they would find the money of course. Like early this yrs plan.. Besides they have the money, they just being real lazy on spending it on service but rather on crap.. Crap doesnt include its workers since they need there paychecks as they are the ones moving us not the top people at HQ.

mark are you aware of the ada isssue in which disabled/wheelchair riders use buses like the m10 q56 bx4 etc because most of the subway station are still not accessible for them breaking a national law for mass transit access? plus access a ride is expensive and as far as i know does not operate overnights.

Roku, don't get brainwashed into believing that express buses are the source of the deficit. You're too smart for that. The fact of the matter is that it's much cheaper to operate an express bus than a subway train. Express bus riders are merely a convenient scapegoat.

Too smart? While I thank you for the compliment, part of my intelligence is due to observations. I think that the entire Bronx should get equal express bus service. I apologize if I came across as an express bus arch-nemesis...I use them plenty.

Roku, don't get brainwashed into believing that express buses are the source of the deficit. You're too smart for that. The fact of the matter is that it's much cheaper to operate an express bus than a subway train. Express bus riders are merely a convenient scapegoat.

Geez dude you really need to lighten up! All you care is about Express buses and STILL comment on Express bus pixs only..

I dont care if the t/a cuts express buses, im not even a rider of those..

Learn Local buses too! Before saying something low dude!

BxM18 can go byebye, i dont see that crap a$$ route as much, As for BxM1/2 just use MNCRR Hudson.. Or Bx7 local to the (1)..

* Only route that should be gone out of this list is the Bx20... I still think something else should be done w/ the Bx14, but I'm gonna leave "routing ideas" out of this particular post.

agree 100% on your(b35) assement on this one. just weekdays have alternative BX7 the housing complex via Henry Hudson Parkway weekdays.

more to come.

Bx4's ridership is pretty stable and heavy during peak periods. Yes it Parallels subway lines but besides ADA issues and the route's high peak ridership, I know so many people along (6) route that use the Bx4 to connect to the Hub and stops along the (2)(5) line. The bx4 is much more useful then other routes that aren't on the chopping block.

Bx14 I understand why this route may possibly be eliminated. Ridership is visibly low during non peak hours but I think the frequency matches the ridership. I'm in agreement maybe the route needs be tweaked or re-routed to operate more efficiently as stated but not eliminated.

Bx20 I've always looked at this route on the map and wondered why it was still in existence. Possibly the 20 can be altered to operate peak times only or just add extra Bx7's.

Bx34 Once again I understand why the the 34 is endangered. Operating very close to the Bx1/2 Between Fordham Rd. and Bedford Park and operating along the same route as the bx 16 between Bainbridge/ 205 St. Sta. and E233/ Katonah and now due to a recent route change of the Bx31, it is no longer the only route operating along Katonah Ave. in Woodlawn. But the route still does serve a purpose with pretty steady ridership. Recently during afternoon peak I've used the route and the bus was packed. The route does run 24 hr. and that's definitely not necessary but complete elimination shouldnt be allowed to happen.

Geez dude you really need to lighten up! All you care is about Express buses and STILL comment on Express bus pixs only..

I dont care if the t/a cuts express buses, im not even a rider of those..

Learn Local buses too! Before saying something low dude!

BxM18 can go byebye, i dont see that crap a$$ route as much, As for BxM1/2 just use MNCRR Hudson.. Or Bx7 local to the (1)..

Not to get O/T but my last batch of pics didn't feature a single express bus

Not to get O/T but my last batch of pics didn't feature a single express bus

So? You still are too attatched to it, even if your last batch wasnt.. Or maybe you just wanted to take non express bus pixs for once since people criticize you sometimes for em..

You still comment Nice express buses, and i still see it..

So? You still are too attatched to it, even if your last batch wasnt.. Or maybe you just wanted to take non express bus pixs for once since people criticize you sometimes for em..

You still comment Nice express buses, and i still see it..

back on point & not trying to start an agrgument but mark are you in favor of canning all nyct/(MTA)

express buses including ones from queens and staten island far away from the subway?

i am not sure mark you been on an manhattan express bus but staten island routes like the x1, x10, x17 and in the bronx the bxm7 coop city does get sro crowded on occasion. also when i still was in the 'city' during rush hours the BXM11 would be filled to capacity bronx-bound even with this route parrell the (2) and (5) lines most of the route.

i do agree with mark and others that low usage lines such as weekend service the BXM4a(bedford park line) bxm6 parkchester and the bxm2(west midtown/west side) if needed should be canned. even a nyctrf regular like grand concourse admits there a need for most of the express bus lines during at least rush hours.

reactions?

Bx4's ridership is pretty stable and heavy during peak periods. Yes it Parallels subway lines but besides ADA issues and the route's high peak ridership, I know so many people along (6) route that use the Bx4 to connect to the Hub and stops along the (2)(5) line. The bx4 is much more useful then other routes that aren't on the chopping block.definitely not necessary but complete elimination shouldnt be allowed to happen.

Yeah, I know how heavy the usage is on the Bx4....

I was only stating why I thought why this would/might be on the chopping block...

That's all and that's it.

Bx34 Once again I understand why the the 34 is endangered. Operating very close to the Bx1/2 Between Fordham Rd. and Bedford Park and operating along the same route as the bx 16 between Bainbridge/ 205 St. Sta. and E233/ Katonah and now due to a recent route change of the Bx31, it is no longer the only route operating along Katonah Ave. in Woodlawn. But the route still does serve a purpose with pretty steady ridership. Recently during afternoon peak I've used the route and the bus was packed. The route does run 24 hr. and that's definitely not necessary but complete elimination shouldnt be allowed to happen.

thanks....

Archived