Jamaica last R42 Scrap train

R33WF

The R42s could easily last another year or two in service without ANY problem whatsoever. There is no reason to swap fleets whatsoever. ENY will be dealing with one fleet of SMEEs, and 207 will also only be dealing with one fleet of SMEEs. The GE R32s were a small portion of a fleet which were an ADDITIONAL fleet to take care of. Whichever cars ENY runs, theyll be running R143s, R160As, and SMEEs, regardless of whether those SMEEs are R42 or R32.

Dude, the R42s at ENY are rotting like crazy. Have you seen the rooflines? Rusted as hell! I don't hate the R42s in any way but they do need to go. I really doubt if they'll even see the new year.

Dude You do not make sense, and yes the R42's are going bye-bye, SO LIKE IT OR NOT, And The R32's are Way More Relialble than the R42's, That's why Jamaica still has 26 R32's, It would Make sense to send 50 R32's to ENY anyway and yes they have expreince with R32's, Becasue in the 1980's 1/4 of the R32 Fleet was at ENY for a while.

Good post. Not to mention that R32s showed up at ENY several times in the past. Remember when R32s showed up in 2006 there from Coney Island?

Considering that things have potentially changed greatly since my last post, I will not assert that any type of movement is out of the picture right now.

But I will assert the following:

R42s DO have a higher MDBF than R32s. That means they are more reliable. To put this as directly as I can, I know the breakdown rates of both fleets because I actually receive documentation which states them. I say that R32s break down more than R42s because for every mile an R32 runs, it is more likely to break down than an R42, for every mile that R42 runs. It is an inarguable fact.

IF R32s and R42s were both to be replaced shortly, it would make no sense to transfer them between yards.

Your post makes no sense. I'd like to see your documentations that supposedly states that the R42s break down less than the R32s. And do not bring MDBF into this. Just because once car fleet has a higher MDBF than another does not make it better than another car type; more has to be taken into factor such as the yard it is maintained at.

Not to mention saying ENY has "experience" with R32's because they serviced them more than 20 years ago and before many got their GOH is not accurate because many of those car inspectors have moved on or moved to other places since then...it was a long time ago. That would be a little like saying that Jerome has Lo-V experience

Well IIRC R32s showed up at ENY in 2006 for whatever reason. They showed from COney Island but I doubt they entered service on the Eastern Division Lines.

That depends on whether half a year is considered "shortly". (It could be, but then, it is still long enough time for them to make such a switch, and "live with" one class to maintain and possibly interchange if needed, rather than two).

I also wonder if a nominal MDBF figure will be more important, than overall body/structural condition in a operiod of that length.

Such as MDBSI (mean distance between service interruptions).

Good post. Not to mention that R32s showed up at ENY several times in the past. Remember when R32s showed up in 2006 there from Coney Island?

Yes, I saw them too and there are lots of photos on nycsubway.org to prove it. While this does not necessarily mean they will definitely go on those lines, this is still a possibility and it means ENY crew are trained for the R32s. After all, if some lunatic blows up the 50 R42s there, (NYCT) will have no choice, but to replace them with those cars as there are no more R42s at Jamaica and the R32s are the only cars capable of running in the Eastern Division.

Your post makes no sense. I'd like to see your documentations that supposedly states that the R42s break down less than the R32s. And do not bring MDBF into this. Just because once car fleet has a higher MDBF than another does not make it better than another car type; more has to be taken into factor such as the yard it is maintained at.

You are right, MDBF is not everything like what others have said. Having high MDBF does not make a car reliable nor does having low MDBF make it horrible. After all, every subway car will eventually breakdown no matter what and you will have furious riders in there complaining. Other factors, including structural stability, feedback from riders and train crew, technical performances, and much more have to be considered before retiring a subway car. MDBF is the only thing R42s have a better performance than the R32s. Everything else, R32s are far superior. That is why the Jamaica R42s got retired before the R32s. If R32s were really that bad, (NYCT) should be retiring them right now and all R42s at Jamaica and ENY would be left intact.

There is no reason for such a swap to occur.

1. ENY has no experience working with R32s

2. Both fleets will be entirely retired fairly shortly.

3. R32s are not significantly more reliable than R42s. (in fact, they are less reliable, but not significantly)

4. Car fleet swaps cost money.

Being as there are many reasons NOT TO perform such a swap, and absolutely NO reason TO perform such a swap, such a swap would be rather unlikely to occur.

Jamaica crew were not trained with the R42s either and yet they got transferred there. This could be why I was told they hated them so much and based on what I see every time I peak inside an R42, riders were not too happy with them either. This could be one reason why (NYCT) was planning to transfer all R42s at Jamaica to 207th Street to retire the R38s earlier this year until the problems with the (C) line came about.

ENY's R160s are not coming in for a while. Therefore, the ENY R42s will outlast the 207 R32s.

Another possible solution is get rid of the ENY R42s right now and replace them with nothing until the last four-car R160A sets arrive. After all, the (Z) line (which runs only six trains a day, equal to the amount of R42 trains ENY can run) is once again on the chopping board, so even without those rust buckets, there is enough cars at ENY to run the (J)(L)(M) without a shortage.

You know what? i finally realized what is everyone's problem here (including myself). we all express our opinions as facts and exaggerate them a lot, which in turn causes conflict and flame wars. People argue here because they get conflicting information from MTA workers. They are not always right. So from now on, I suggest everyone keep their opinions and controversial facts to themselves. I will no longer criticize anyone for talking, even if I disagree or know they are incorrect. If Art Vandelay wants to believe those crumbling s*** cans at ENY are better than the kick-ass Brightliners at 207th Street and Jamaica just because they have better MDBF and will outlive them in service or that there is not enough five-car R160s to make the (F)(Q) exclusively R160s, let him believe it. If R32 3838 believes R32 will go to ENY or they will stay past R160 order Option II, let him. If someone thinks that one meaningless set of R32s is a big downgrade on a line that he does not even live by, leave him be. If someone thinks those R46 fatsos are the best cars in the system, leave him be. If someone wants nothing but R68/68As on his line, leave him be. If someone likes those ugly and faulty R44s for reasons I do not know, leave him be. If someone believes someone is a reliable source of information just because he/she works for the MTA, leave him be. If someone believes R160s will go on the (R)(V), leave him be. If i believe the rest of the five-car R160s will make the (F)(Q) exclusively R160s, if I believe the R32s will be the last cars retired because of their superior handling, if I have to avoid the R42s and R44s to not go insane, let me! My apologizes if I went a little off-topic, but I just needed to get my point out really badly.

Another possible solution is get rid of the ENY R42s right now and replace them with nothing until the last four-car R160A sets arrive. After all, the (Z) line (which runs only six trains a day, equal to the amount of R42 trains ENY can run) is once again on the chopping board, so even without those rust buckets, there is enough cars at ENY to run the (J)(L)(M) without a shortage.
Propblem with that is, when will those cuts occur? Most likely the next pick, which is the summer. That's when the new cars would probably be coming in (and then they wouldn't be needed anymore!)

The other option I heard is to bring the new ENY cars in now, and then the rest of the Jamaica order afterward. (They don't have to follow the number order). But I had liked the idea of ENY getting the newest (last) cars of the order.

Is it true? There are no more R42 at Jamaica yard? How many are left in service? They are at East New York. Let me know when the last day for the R42's are. Thanks. Are there any R32's at Jamaica left?

There are still 50 of the R42s at Jamaica, so ride those NOW, cuz they'll be gone very soon. I'm not sure if they'll see the new year though, or even be around for the majority of January.

There are still 50 of the R42s at Jamaica, so ride those NOW, cuz they'll be gone very soon. I'm not sure if they'll see the new year though, or even be around for the majority of January.

ENY has the 50 R42's.Jamaica doesn't have any more.

Archived