MTA bigwigs may cut free passes for students to ride subway and busses

CPBO

I think this is a good move......I drive R.I. and the kids ride to it for free and then after 9 p.m. the card don't work and they still ride for free......kids over use this.....when it says ride limit I will make the kid pay full fare just like everybody else....this is meant to go to school and go home.......not ride all afternoon and hang out......

You get paid whether or not people pay a fare. Besides, thinking kids are a holes is just a sign you are getting old. I just think of the stuff we used to do when we were kids,and my old man was a B/O for 31 years. Let em ride and learn to get over their nonsense.

Education should be free. I'm sure many people know about how I was accepted to Bronx Science but declined due to the distance I would have to travel. To this day I regret making that decision. My life would've been so much better had I gone there. Transportation and cost shouldn't stymie a child's educational options.

I completely agree, I think it would be terrible to force kids go to the bad poor-performing neighborhood schools, I know what that's like with the big fights, weapons, etc. Not even really learning what's being taught at the better schools, I don't remember having Science, Social Studies, or Gym until I started going to a school in Little Neck, my commute was like 1.5 hours each way.

I'm not even within walking distance from any High School, the school I go to now isn't great (it may get closed or split up) but its far better than the schools closest to me.

They should adjust how many times a student can use their metrocard, I know some kids who take one bus each way, they shouldn't have like 4 or 6 rides available on their cards. I bet that would save the (MTA) at least some money. The city should pay up too.

Also, if no school bus availiable, then let the Dept. of Education pay up as well as the city. It is not the (MTA)'s thing to keep the student discount, it is the DOE and City's job. The State also should contribute something too. The Stalemate and the classics of politcs are affecting the (MTA)!!!

exactly. :tup:

i understand that education should be free, but it's NOT the mta's responsibility. nor is it their responsibility to invest in devising ways to "save" money regarding student fares. the city and state should pay up instead of backing them into a corner.

All this would accomplish is give kids a reason to NOT to go school.... b/c they can't afford it...

...and you know what, it would be a justifiable excuse too.

Knight....you are wrong on this one........when is the last time you drove a bus with a bunch of free loading school kids?? they disrespect the elderly......curse and scream......if you say the hard working parents......guess what buddy?? I work 6 days a week to make ends meet......the parents should get a second job.......this along with welfare......should be stopped.......me and the hard working tax payer is tired of having to pay for everybody else.......when you bring kids up with "free" bus rides they will expect free the rest of thier life.....the time to change and set goals is when they are young.......

I also disagree with this line of thinking....

For whatever the reason, you sound bitter....

Tell me something, what does (lemme make sure I get this right) a bunch of free loading school kids that disrespect the elderly & curse & scream.... have to do with kids, or the parents of these kids not being able to afford the public transportation that aids greatly in transporting these same kids to/from school everyday? Despite the picture people tend to paint about New Yorkers in general, everyone here aint driving in their own personal vehicles.... especially here in the boroughs....

MTA encourages people to abandon personal vehicles and ride on their buses & trains... and seemingly, your stance is one of, b/c of the behaviors of these kids, their quote-unquote free ride should cease?

I better not hear you complaining when these same children are running amuck in your community/neighborhood 10-15 yrs later, due to the (level of) education they didn't obtain had back when they were kids... b/c their parents couldn't afford the fare for a] them to get to/from work & b] for their kids to get to/from school.... along with all the other expenses that have to be paid.....

See, greater number of kids with no education = an increase in poverty = an increase in crime....

But you want to make a point out of the way they currently behave, while they're still young... on your bus.... How selfish...

As if there's no room for growth, or change in our school children.

All this would accomplish is give kids a reason to NOT to go school.... b/c they can't afford it...

...and you know what, it would be a justifiable excuse too.

I also disagree with this line of thinking....

For whatever the reason, you sound bitter....

Tell me something, what does (lemme make sure I get this right) a bunch of free loading school kids that disrespect the elderly & curse & scream.... have to do with kids, or the parents of these kids not being able to afford the public transportation that aids greatly in transporting these same kids to/from school everyday? Despite the picture people tend to paint about New Yorkers in general, everyone here aint driving in their own personal vehicles.... especially here in the boroughs....

MTA encourages people to abandon personal vehicles and ride on their buses & trains... and seemingly, your stance is one of, b/c of the behaviors of these kids, their quote-unquote free ride should cease?

I better not hear you complaining when these same children are running amuck in your community/neighborhood 10-15 yrs later, due to the (level of) education they didn't obtain had back when they were kids... b/c their parents couldn't afford the fare for a] them to get to/from work & b] for their kids to get to/from school.... along with all the other expenses that have to be paid.....

See, greater number of kids with no education = an increase in poverty = an increase in crime....

But you want to make a point out of the way they currently behave, while they're still young... on your bus.... How selfish...

As if there's no room for growth, or change in our school children.

You get paid whether or not people pay a fare. Besides, thinking kids are a holes is just a sign you are getting old. I just think of the stuff we used to do when we were kids,and my old man was a B/O for 31 years. Let em ride and learn to get over their nonsense.

OK I should of just said I was for this....but for the both of you.....the MTA is not in the business of getting kids to and from school for free, the MTA is in the transportation business!!

The rest could be on another topic.....the welfare system is breaking this country......the lost revenue the MTA faces needs to change......As well as them needing to trim management....

Maybe they should set some guidelines....if a family of 3 has a family income of less then 40k the child can ride for half fare.....

That is all I was trying to say......

Elimating Student MetroCard will be chaotics for students and parents.

I remember news about school bus not able to pickup student in private neighborhood in Rockaways long time ago and little student had to walk lots of blocks to B. 116th St Station and get to school.

Many student rely on Student MetroCard.

I remember one time when I was in HSES, I use Student MetroCard on New Year's Day. At that time, I did not know the policy at that time.

After I was going home to my apartment in Yorkville, when I swiped at AMNH Station, cop told me I cannot use, so they told me kindly you not suppose to use it and I told them, "I didn't know."

M86 B/O did not say anything.

One time when I had Unlimited MetroCard and I forgot it was holiday, and when passenger boarded bus, I paid $2 w/ Student MetroCard for her on M60 because she only had bills, but female B/O told me I cannot paid her fare with that b/c it was holiday. I told her I lost track of day.

Another time, when I had Regent/RCT Exam Test Tutorial at HSES on Saturday, I enter downtown (6) platform at 77th St and approach booth.

I had Student MetroCard- Special Program Pass- Good for 2 trips.

Here is conversation I remember.

When I show her MetroCard:

Agent: You cannot use Student MetroCard on weekend.

Me: This is Special Program Pass.

Agent: There's no school.

Me: I have Regent Exam Tutor at school.

Agent: Go ahead and swipe.

After I swipe Special Program Pass, I got in and took (6) to 59th St for (5) via uptown (2), which got stuck between South Ferry & Chambers St, resulting lateness to exam.

If there were parents work early to late, and they do not have time to take them to school by cars, transit.

Student MetroCard plays important roles in student life.

Student will skip school, or beat the fare.

Student MetroCard is important for both NYC Schools, Nassau and Westchester Counties because they rely on (MTA) and Bee-Line Buses.

Student MetroCard plays important role for Summer School as well.

I think many students does not get accept on School Buses.

I agree if turnstiles are locked when catholic schools, or Sunday schools is open, they have to wait in line to buy MetroCard at station agent or booth, which will make them late.

Turnstile and farebox should be locked for Student MetroCard users when all schools are closed for holidays.

Some schools operate night school as well.

I agree some Elementary and Middle Schools are younger children and they cannot go ride subway or bus alone, even school bus.

Student MetroCard should not be cut.

Student, Parents, and Teachers will properly protests in front of City Hall.

The only reason why the MTA is even proposing this in the first place is because the city owes them a lot of money for allowing the students use the system for free. I'm against the elimination of the Student MetroCards because when I was in school, that card was my lifeline, okay! BUT, as kids are getting older, they need to learn to gain a sense of responsibility because as soon as they graduate high school, guess what? They won't be able to ride the system for free anymore! If K-8 students had to pay to go to school, hell will break loose, which is why i believe they should have the higher priority to make sure they keep their student cards. As for high schoolers, face it, they only have four years of public school left in their lives, but they need to learn to get adjusted to the change they'll be undergoing upon entering college (that is, if they choose to go) and they won't be able to ride the system for free anymore. Therefore, instead of eliminating student cards for the kids, they should, for the K-8 students, keep their MetroCards and let them ride for free, while the 9-12 students receive half-fare cards and allow them to add value to their card so the school pays half, and the kids pay $1.10. They don't have value in their cards, then they don't go to school. It's that simple.

How is this the MTA's fault? Typical anti-MTA mentality here. If you want to complain to someone, complain to the clowns in Albany that are cutting the funding for this.

I never said it's the MTA's fault, unless you're replying to us in general, or to those who think it's the MTA's fault. I'm against the city for doing this, but the MTA is in the wrong for making the intentions to put students in turmoil when the economy isn't so great to begin with.

I never said it's the MTA's fault, unless you're replying to us in general, or to those who think it's the MTA's fault. I'm against the city for doing this, but the MTA is in the wrong for making the intentions to put students in turmoil when the economy isn't so great to begin with.

It's a general comment to those that think it's the MTA's fault. I would have quoted you if I was specifically replying to your comments.

It's a general comment to those that think it's the MTA's fault. I would have quoted you if I was specifically replying to your comments.

No problem, don't sweat it. I don't see why everyone's pointing the fingers at the wrong person myself.

Well, I guess the T/A should then come up with an Unlimited Metrocard plan for these students. If that can work..

And of course, there is the School Buses. But idk if NYC has enough to cover all the school students in the system. For those who will use em..

Well, I guess the T/A should then come up with an Unlimited Metrocard plan for these students. If that can work..

Why? The TA is not responsible for getting students to school. If anything, the DoE should be paying into this.

04764_ReflexHammer_CP_med.jpg

Way too much of that in this thread. The MTA is fully justified in cutting a money-losing venture. Like INDman (and others) have said, the MTA is in the transportation industry, not the getting-kids-to-school-for-cheap industry.

#1 i aint paying no fare to get home lol its 2.25 a day for me so its 2 times a day and 5 days a week . i go to sheepshead bay . #2 i really dont have a problem with paying but cmon thats rong taking student passes away . mta is screwing us over . knight rider is right not every kid has money to spend like that . but hey thats life . you have to deal with it .

Albany screwing us,there the ones that miscalculated the budget for the (MTA) and now the future is unknown if these cuts go under way,man I can't wait for Albany elections to begin so we can get these idiots out of office.not to say this is also the (MTA) fault for mismanagement As for the students passes it not the (MTA)s responsibility for funding it the board of education is.

There are a few things that could be done to stop this

1) Stop all future R160 orders. We have enough trains now.

2) Don't even THINK about an R179

3) Halt current construction for the time being.

There are a few things that could be done to stop this

1) Stop all future R160 orders. We have enough trains now.

2) Don't even THINK about an R179

3) Halt current construction for the time being.

1) The (MTA) already paid everything for Option II, so Alstom and Kawasaki have to deliver all 1662 cars or else they can get sued.

2) Replacing old cars is still a top priority for the (MTA), so the R179 will not get scrapped, maybe pushed back several years, but the R44s will still replaced by them considering how bad they are.

3) Halting construction is like putting customers' safety at risk. That is much worse.

1) The (MTA) already paid everything for Option II, so Alstom and Kawasaki have to deliver all 1662 cars or else they can get sued.

2) Replacing old cars is still a top priority for the (MTA), so the R179 will not get scrapped, maybe pushed back several years, but the R44s will still replaced by them considering how bad they are.

3) Halting construction is like putting customers' safety at risk. That is much worse.

1) oh.

2) I meant temporarily halt R179 progress

3) I meant construction like the 2nd Av Subway

Archived