MTA bigwigs may cut free passes for students to ride subway and busses

CPBO

The MTA is fully justified in cutting a money-losing venture. Like INDman (and others) have said, the MTA is in the transportation industry, not the getting-kids-to-school-for-cheap industry.

Amen, and I'm in total agreement about this because who wants to put up with a bunch of out of control kids that are riding the subways/buses for free? Everytime it's after 3-4pm, it's a madhouse. You have kids screaming at each other, using profanities and not giving a damn about the other riders. I say to hell with them and let them go back to their own local area schools. It sure as hell would make commuting more tolerable with those animals gone.

Good ridance to bad trash*

*and I'm not saying that about everyone that uses the student card, but a high majority of kids I see on the buses are crazy and should be taking the yellow buses and off the city buses.

Amen, and I'm in total agreement about this because who wants to put up with a bunch of out of control kids that are riding the subways/buses for free? Everytime it's after 3-4pm, it's a madhouse. You have kids screaming at each other, using profanities and not giving a damn about the other riders. I say to hell with them and let them go back to their own local area schools. It sure as hell would make commuting more tolerable with those animals gone.

Good ridance to bad trash*

*and I'm not saying that about everyone that uses the student card, but a high majority of kids I see on the buses are crazy and should be taking the yellow buses and off the city buses.

Hey those kids wanna be uneducated and struggle in life? Let 'em. We're all gonna be struggling anyway, but America will always need people to do the dirty work. An education is not a birthright, you have to do something if you want one...it will be made *available to you* you will not be given it, and so many kids don't get that...they think just showing up to class makes them look good, so make them pay the fare and if they still don't want to go, stay home and see if any truancy officers catch them...

Hey those kids wanna be uneducated and struggle in life? Let 'em. We're all gonna be struggling anyway, but America will always need people to do the dirty work. An education is not a birthright, you have to do something if you want one...it will be made *available to you* you will not be given it, and so many kids don't get that...they think just showing up to class makes them look good, so make them pay the fare and if they still don't want to go, stay home and see if any truancy officers catch them...

Thank you!

This will create a system where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Contrary to popular belief, some kids WANT to get a education. Parents shouldn't have to choose between paying for a Metrocard and paying for groceries. Education should be free. The MTA sucks.

Preach on! Totally agreed!

now they have resulted to finger pointing and the blame game that is just so low if the student transportation passes were part of the cause why didn't they bring it up the last time. I was watching the board meeting on NY1 and one of mayor bloomberg appointees said the money has always been there.

its always good to blame and point the finger at someone else when your house is not in order they know who truely is to blame mismanagement of funds redundant and duplicative poisitions there is no reason why 1 agency has 5,000 positions in adminsitration just unheard of. 7 agencies 6 different Human Resources it's just not needed sure people are going to lose jobs but these are the steps you have to take to bring down cost over runs lose the outside contractors millions of dollars going to waste there

Legislative leaders touted the deficit reduction plan on Dec. 2 with press releases proclaiming nearly $3 billion in state spending was cut "while preventing tax hikes and loss of aid to vital services."

But Gov. Paterson, Assembly members and state senators didn't mention what was buried on page 79 of the 85-page bill. Albany officials were drastically slashing to only $6 million their payment to the MTA for "the costs of the reduced fare for school children program."

Up until this year, the state provided $45 million - a sum transit advocates and the city controller's office have long said was far too little. Earlier this year, the state had whacked it to $25 million.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009/12/17/2009-12-17_gov__pols_derailed_students_free_rides_hidden_deal_revealed_as_mta_unveils_propo.html#ixzz0ZxgE3dRk

It is here for all of you to see.....Blame Bobble head and not the MTA......

Legislative leaders touted the deficit reduction plan on Dec. 2 with press releases proclaiming nearly $3 billion in state spending was cut "while preventing tax hikes and loss of aid to vital services."

But Gov. Paterson, Assembly members and state senators didn't mention what was buried on page 79 of the 85-page bill. Albany officials were drastically slashing to only $6 million their payment to the MTA for "the costs of the reduced fare for school children program."

Up until this year, the state provided $45 million - a sum transit advocates and the city controller's office have long said was far too little. Earlier this year, the state had whacked it to $25 million.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2009/12/17/2009-12-17_gov__pols_derailed_students_free_rides_hidden_deal_revealed_as_mta_unveils_propo.html#ixzz0ZxgE3dRk

It is here for all of you to see.....Blame Bobble head and not the MTA......

Honestly im blaming everybody from the Pataki Adminstration on down he dug the (MTA) into this mess bring his ass back to face the music

Education should be free. The MTA sucks.

no offense, but you should educate yourself and realize that it's not the MTA's responsibility to take on the responsibility of how children get to school. that's what the department of education is for. if the DOE wants to use the transportation services provided by the MTA, they need to allocate the funds to do so. not the other way around.

no offense, but you should educate yourself and realize that it's not the MTA's responsibility to take on the responsibility of how children get to school. that's what the department of education is for. if the DOE wants to use the transportation services provided by the MTA, they need to allocate the funds to do so. not the other way around.
wait a minute why is NYC being singled out because we have the largest school system lets not play the card here I know Nassau County also has student metrocards and not all students may get them but everyone has to pay their fare share if we are going to disseminate the story lets get it right whats good for the goose is good for the gander

if Nassau stops paying the City shall follow

stop crying charity to empty the pockets of the poor to line the pockets of the wealthy

BusOperator3319 09'

This will create a system where the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. Contrary to popular belief, some kids WANT to get a education. Parents shouldn't have to choose between paying for a Metrocard and paying for groceries. Education should be free. The MTA sucks.

No, it will not. Taxing the middle and working class in the form of new fees, fines, and taxes on things that they use is how the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. A stupid tax structure that allows for profits from investments (which the rich have the luxury of putting most of their money into) to be taxed at an absurdly low rate and carved out from people's regular tax rates, is how the rich get richer and the poor get poorer. The same tax structure that allows corporations to hide all their American profits in Delaware to avoid paying taxes to the states where they do most of their business, and keep their total tax bill as low as possible. The same tax structure that encourages them to outsource jobs and hide income offshore because labor is cheaper there, and the tax rates are lower or nonexistent...American profits not being taxed by America hmmm...and unemployed Americans as a result of all the outsourcing so some fat bald CEO can take home a few extra hundred thousand in bonuses. THAT's the stuff that makes the rich richer and the poor poorer.

If those kids really WANT to get an education, they will find a way to get to school without a free ride. There is plenty of opportunity for people to man up, quit complaining, and just do what they need to do to get what they want - particularly in the area of education. But now this country has become nothing more than a bunch of politically correct crybabies who just want to whine when they are sucking on the tit of America, financed largely by the working and middle class, and their little benefit gets taken away.

When I was in grades 4-8 I got a free pass. When I was in Grade 9 I was no longer eligible. Did I complain? Did I go to the school administration? Did my parents have some official measure the distance from home to school to make a case that we were *ENTITLED* (:mad::mad:) to me receiving a school pass?

No, I just walked to school. And got my education all the same. But people don't think that way. "Why do anything extra? After all it's all about me me me. Nothing should ever get worse for Me. I can't do anything more than I usually do, only less, no matter why. Otherwise I'm going to complain, and complain to the press, and complain to community boards, and complain in general. And then when there's an election, I'm not going to vote because it doesn't make a difference."

That's the REAL pathetic "state of the union"...

I've had the fortune of being within walking distance of every school i attended. So I never really relied on mass transit to get there. I do know that any parent who wants their child in school finds a way to get them there. SubwayGuy has already added the other part of that so I dont need to repeat it.

My grandmother sacrificed a lot to put me in a position to get an education. So yeah while the student Metrocards may become a thing of the past, I highly doubt it means kids can't get to school. If you're willing to use this as an excuse not to go you're already a lost cause. If this affects you I'm sorry that it will be tougher for you to get there. But at that point you should be saying "watch me still get there!".

Yeah because money grows on trees...

Once again, when I took the specialized high school exam back in 1998 I got into Brooklyn Tech and Bronx Science. I missed Stuyvesant by 13 points. My middle school teachers begged me to go to Bronx Science. However, it would have been a 2 hour commute. I didn't want to wake up at 5 AM and take the X32. I foolishly decided not to go to Bronx Science. It was one of the worst mistakes I ever made. Had I gone to Bronx Science then I would be working for an engineering firm at this moment in time. Transportation difficulties hindered me from getting a world class education. I hope no other kid has to make the decision I made. Education should be free. I would even go as far as saying that CUNY should be free, but that's another issue. It's better that the city spend money on student passes than to spend money building more prisons for kids lacking a quality education.

I grew up dirt poor...and i still graduated from decent schools. So that's just another excuse. Education is worth paying for and did I miss something? Aren't there like scholarships and grants and stuff you can earn so you can afford to go. I went to my high school on a grant. Even though it didn't cover the full cost of everything, my family put out a lot of effort to cover the rest.

If you let transportation be the only reason you couldn't go to that school you sold yourself short. CUNY has an amazing system. Grants and scholarships essentially make my attendance at the school free. And I know kids that come to this school from the far end of queens. They don't have a lot of money or a free metrocard and they make it happen. So instead of questioning why it isn't handed to you for free, why don't you question why you didn't want it bad enough to endure the obstacles?

I was 14 when I made that decision. I was under the false impression that the three specialized high schools were on a level playing field academically. I made the wrong decision. No child should have to make that decision. In a perfect world all of the neighborhood schools would be specialized high schools. In the real world, however, you can't compare Townsend Harris with Franklin Lane. A family in Sutton Place can afford to spend the money for a Metrocard to send their kids to Hunter College High School. A family in East Harlem can't afford a Metrocard for their kid who attends Bronx Science.

Once again, when I took the specialized high school exam back in 1998 I got into Brooklyn Tech and Bronx Science. I missed Stuyvesant by 13 points. My middle school teachers begged me to go to Bronx Science. However, it would have been a 2 hour commute. I didn't want to wake up at 5 AM and take the X32. I foolishly decided not to go to Bronx Science. It was one of the worst mistakes I ever made. Had I gone to Bronx Science then I would be working for an engineering firm at this moment in time. Transportation difficulties hindered me from getting a world class education. I hope no other kid has to make the decision I made. Education should be free. I would even go as far as saying that CUNY should be free, but that's another issue. It's better that the city spend money on student passes than to spend money building more prisons for kids lacking a quality education.

you decided not to go to bronx science because it wasn't convenient for you, not because of transportation difficulties. what do you expect? the mta to pay for taxi services to students as well because they don't want to wake up at 5am and the commute is not fast enough? oh no... the taxi's stuck in traffic? perhaps the mta needs to invest in inventing ruby slippers as well. :confused:

i woke up at 5 to get to my high school by 7 for volleyball (by my own choice) because i was afraid of the subway and took not 1, but 3 buses instead. welcome to the world of responsibility.

I was 14 when I made that decision. I was under the false impression that the three specialized high schools were on a level playing field academically. I made the wrong decision. No child should have to make that decision. In a perfect world all of the neighborhood schools would be specialized high schools. In the real world, however, you can't compare Townsend Harris with Franklin Lane. A family in Sutton Place can afford to spend the money for a Metrocard to send their kids to Hunter College High School. A family in East Harlem can't afford a Metrocard for their kid who attends Bronx Science.

Then that was your decision and the consequences fall on you, not the MTA. You said it yourself...YOU made the wrong decision. If someone else is in that situation, they too have a choice.

What's more important -

Getting the education they want?

Enduring an easy commute and not having to pay a fare?

That's a choice each person makes. In that situation if you're really broke and can't find anything...Find a job. I had jobs in high school that paid for what I needed to do the rest of the year. I had a job all through college too and I worked as many hours as I could because it helped with money. Work off the books if you have to, just find work...it's out there and people love high school kids because they are willing to work for dirt cheap. Work 1-2 days a week at $5 an hour and that will cover transportation costs. It's doable, you just need to prioritize what matters to you in life. If that means not joining a club at school or cutting back on socializing then that is the cost of what it takes to get something that matters to you. Nothing is easy, it's not a right to expect it to be, it's not a right to expect life to be fair. At the end of the day you are responsible for you, not the MTA, not the government. The government has the responsbility to use taxpayer money effectively, provide support that allows things to exist as possibilities for all, and create rules that prevent people from taking advantage of others. It does not exist to make things as easy as possible for all people. If you want something, you have to get it...no one is going to give it to you and it's as simple as that.

wait a minute why is NYC being singled out because we have the largest school system lets not play the card here I know Nassau County also has student metrocards and not all students may get them but everyone has to pay their fare share if we are going to disseminate the story lets get it right whats good for the goose is good for the gander

if Nassau stops paying the City shall follow

stop crying charity to empty the pockets of the poor to line the pockets of the wealthy

BusOperator3319 09'

Not only that, I think Westchester County also issued Student MetroCard for Westchester County schools because Bee-Line Buses used (MTA) MetroCard.

I remember when I had W43 Bus Survey on few days after Grand Opening, and I checked Student MetroCard also not knowing it was different from (MTA). This was doing $2.00 fare I think.

Here is video New York Post Has.

i love how the media forgets to mention that albany is the one who slashed the funds for the student metrocard program, not the MTA. bloomberg and paterson are idiots for using the MTA as a scapegoat and accusing them of eliminating the program when they are the one's who approved the cuts in the first place. they left the MTA with no other choice. THEY need to fix this by allocating OUR tax dollars to fund the program. the MTA has their own financial problems to deal with. :tdown:

This is just sad. The media makes a big deal on students' issues with not having a free pass. If the main reason students go to school is because have a free transportation pass then that's dumb. Students still have to perform at school. Not having a free pass is no excuse for not going to school nor doing well at it. If you can walk to school, walk.

Ending free student passes isn't the end of the world. The student pass in my opinion is abused too often, and a good way to evade fares. A free student pass is a privilege, not a right. If students abuse that privilege, they should face consequences, period.

Archived