Why the gaps?

BMT4Life

I always wondered that myself. I don't remember ever hearing so much about the gaps until recently. I'll take a stab and say that maybe the trains got narrower. The M7s do have a weird shape to them. They bulge out a bit and then they get narrow towards the base of the car.

Does anyone know why there gaps to begin with?

1. When fair size "things" keep being put into flexible "areas" constantly, in a short period of time, the end result can be this.

2. It's just natural on some, by the way they are shaped.

Wait.....are you talking about train platforms? If so, then 1000 apologies and utter :(:o:o:o:o:o.

1. When fair size "things" keep being put into flexible "areas" constantly, in a short period of time, the end result can be this.

2. It's just natural on some, by the way they are shaped.

Wait.....are you talking about train platforms? If so, then 1000 apologies and utter :D:o:o:o:o:o.

You got a one track mind you know that.:(

I always wondered that myself. I don't remember ever hearing so much about the gaps until recently. I'll take a stab and say that maybe the trains got narrower. The M7s do have a weird shape to them. They bulge out a bit and then they get narrow towards the base of the car.

I was thinking the same thing. I mean I haven't heard about these problems before the delivery of the M-7. So I do think it may be he overall design of the M-7.

I was going to say the same thing. I think it's the design of the M7 that doesn't square well with the dimensions of the platform with relation to the track.

I was going to say the same thing. I think it's the design of the M7 that doesn't square well with the dimensions of the platform with relation to the track.

Your absolutely right. It is the design. The wedge in just below the middle of the car doesn't bulge right back out so it makes the lower part of the car narrower, sadly.

Your absolutely right. It is the design. The wedge in just below the middle of the car doesn't bulge right back out so it makes the lower part of the car narrower, sadly.

Yes exactly. I also believe it has a little to do with what Zach posted. I would like to hear from hogger on this one.

All valid reasons. The part about the locomotives is also valid but I thought to believe the width and specifications of the locomotives and EMU's were the same. A difference in width between the two could have caused more than just a gap problem for station platforms don't you think?

The gap issue has existed ever since the Railroad raised platforms from ground level to high platforms. The major challenges are stations located on curves that were not relocated, and non stop or express trains passing through at high rates of speed swaying into the platforms. There is sometimes a fine balance between having the platform too close or too far away.As for as the difference in the width of the various rolling stock used on the Railroad, I think that it is not more than 1 or 2 inches.

The gap issue has existed ever since the Railroad raised platforms from ground level to high platforms. The major challenges are stations located on curves that were not relocated, and non stop or express trains passing through at high rates of speed swaying into the platforms. There is sometimes a fine balance between having the platform too close or too far away.As for as the difference in the width of the various rolling stock used on the Railroad, I think that it is not more than 1 or 2 inches.

That makes perfect sense. I always believed building stations on slight curves was always an invitation for trouble. The best solution would be to move the stations on the curves out more. As for the rolling stock I was figuring the differences in width was no more than inches and you just confirmed that.

Now that gap problem seems to be everywhere on the system and not just limited to stations on curves. I've never visited every station on the system to see the problem myself but I've seen some.

Thanks for the valuable input li hogger. Do you miss the job?

Archived