R-1-9 & R10 momentary switch

Joe

I *THINK* it was to tell the C/R to turn off the heaters while the train was in the station. This is the last sign like that left, I remember being told that they were placed at stations where trains would be held. The Arnines and R10s had heaters that were HOT. I have tested R1/9 heaters and those things get hot fast, especialy if the train is not moving for a while.

There are two types of momentary switches on the older equipment...one is the key switch outside the storm door that turns all the car lights on/off (only on older equipment and Joe you've seen me use it on the R-17 at BERA), the other is the heat/fan momentary switch. As INDman said this would be a reminder to turn the heat/fan off.

Heaters as in to keep the car warm, right? That's the last thing I would have guessed they meant...didn't know they got that hot, though it does make sense if the motors aren't running all that current would go through the heater.

What, I got it 100%?

Yeah basically...I just went back to edit my post since it was just going to say what you already put. I don't know the reason they wanted it at that specific location, but with 3 points of heat on those things could get extremely hot.

Heaters as in to keep the car warm, right? That's the last thing I would have guessed they meant...didn't know they got that hot, though it does make sense if the motors aren't running all that current would go through the heater.

Yes Joe, car heats, the Arnines were not packing...

Yeah basically...I just went back to edit my post since it was just going to say what you already put

No problem. Tuesday, I have some good stories for you.

Archived