Make Your Own! Base Map and Software Provided

CenSin

Now you can make your own fantasy subway maps based on parts of the official map!

image-D51A_4B27281C.jpg

Features:

• High quality vector graphics; no more working with jagged lines and pixels
  • Most lines predrawn
  • The Helvetica and Akzidenz Grotesk fonts are not necessary; the letters have been converted to outlines, so you simply have to change the colors and shapes behind the letters
  • Most subway bullets premade; just copy and paste them to new locations where necessary

Caveats:

• There is a glitching problem with the borderline separating the boroughs; ungroup the background object and delete the line if you're brave
  • There are no station labels at all; you will have to make them yourself
  • Street names, line names, and borough names are not present
  • There is no route information pane

To edit the map, you will need OpenOffice.org Draw. OpenOffice.org is a free replacement for Microsoft Office (which not everyone has). The free part is what sparked my decision to migrate to this software instead, because that makes it accessible to everyone. OpenOffice.org can be downloaded from the official site, or from PortableApps.com. I prefer the latter. The portable version of OpenOffice.org can be downloaded here.

Once you've obtained OpenOffice.org, download the map from here.

What you can do once you have OpenOffice.org and the map:

• Add and delete lines and stations
  • Export your work to an image (of any size and resolution) or to PDF to share it with everyone

Strings attached:

• I don't ask for anything from you but credits where due
  • If you have something significant to share with others (like a map with all the station names added) it would be nice to make it available to everyone; you—of course—would be credited as well for the additional work

Contact me if you run into any problems.

Enjoy!

That's kind of cool. I bet, though, we're gonna be swarmed with crazy fantasies in the next few days.

At least they won't be tiny and strain your eyes.

EDIT: When you export to a raster image, the minimum acceptable resolution should be 36 dpi (dots per inch). Any lower and it will be hard to see; too high and it will be too large for a speedy download so do not go over 96 dpi (the resulting image will contain 20 million pixels).

Two questions:

1) How do I draw/connect the (subway) lines without having to use those "Bezier" curves? Using the freeform-filled tool isn't working out so great (unless I have to use extreme precision?)

2) Unless I somehow missed it, is there any way to "copy" a color from one line to another (especially when drawing new lines), just like Paint's copy-and-fill tool?

Thanks for your help.

Two questions:

1) How do I draw/connect the (subway) lines without having to use those "Bezier" curves? Using the freeform-filled tool isn't working out so great (unless I have to use extreme precision?)

2) Unless I somehow missed it, is there any way to "copy" a color from one line to another (especially when drawing new lines), just like Paint's copy-and-fill tool?

Thanks for your help.

I just copy lines from elsewhere and then change them; that way I can keep all of its properties. ;)

• 4 weeks later...
its a bit slow. i dont know how to mess with it tho, lol.

Maybe it'd be easier if I made a layered file (along the likes of Adobe Photoshop) with layers for: map background, subway lines, station dots, and labels. Those with expertise in drawing the lines using paint can move to it pretty easily (and anything is better than paint).

• 7 months later...

Archived