Lean Back! Wait...Forward?

RokuSix

Yesterday afternoon, on my commute home, I was leaning against the wall, waiting for the uptown <6>. I couldn't help but notice commuter after commuter, leaning at 90 degree angles over the tracks, to see if the train was coming.

My question is, what is the mentality or rationality behind this? Granted, I've done it once or twice, but for me it was to see whether or not a coming train was a (6) or a <6>. But, people will lean over into the tracks when there is no indication of a train coming at all.

Why do people do this? It certainly doesn't make the train come any faster.

I do it "sometimes" if people are in front of me, but not that stupid.. Plus its sometimes...

People just do it because they are so in a rush to get to there destination or just wanna check if the train is coming.. And of course cuz of people in front.. Thats why i go to the southern end of a platform to avoid these peeps.. You even see em standing on the Platform borders thinking nothings going to happen to em..

What if someone falls of the platform, then what? New Platform Screen doors? Right...!

That's just the way some people are! I've done it a few times myself but it really doesn't make the train come faster at all. Maybe people do it because it gives them something better to do. :confused:

When I hear the tracks make the vibration sounds, particularly the clanking noise, I know the train is coming.

That's just the way some people are! I've done it a few times myself but it really doesn't make the train come faster at all. Maybe people do it because it gives them something better to do. :confused:

When I hear the tracks make the vibration sounds, particularly the clanking noise, I know the train is coming.

Or the signals being prepped.. Or maybe our brains make em for fun lol jk:p

I use it to choose my ride. If I don't see an express train anywhere in sight, I'm obviously going to take the local that just pulled in. And for many, it's also a habit carried over from looking down the street for the bus' headlights, walking down another few blocks if they don't see them.

I never bend more than a few inches to see if I can make out a faint light in the distance. Not risking bending at a right angle only to lose my balance and land on the third rail now!

If you get electrocuted, they'll have to use this temporary R160 Program :(

13.gif

Stupid to do this, i see people lean way too far out too often.

I've done it in the past, but after realizing that sitting down is more comfy when possible, i do that instead, also much safer. When i did do it i always held onto the column next to the edge with a firm grip. I think we could solve this with properly functioning countdown clocks. Whenever i am on a platform with the clocks, i look at my watch or my phone to confirm the time vs next train, and don't even have the idea to look down the tunnel unless i'm looking for something related to the tunnel, and then i try to ride the RFW instead of balance on the platform edge.

That said, i do want to reiterate to everyone who's peepers might lay on this text here to keep all of your body parts behind the ****ing yellow line unless you're legally boarding a stopped train. Trains are totally wonderful and amazing, but they are NOT toys, and they WILL kill and/or harm you if you do not respect them!

- (A)

While on the platform waiting for your train, do you sometimes "inspect" the tracks and third rail? (W)

You know, i do, and i often see rats and mice (which i think are cute) run around. Sometimes the rats fight, but usually just plain old track.

- A

Archived