So called non-profit homeless group ordered off NYC streets by judge charge w/ fraud

Shortline Bus

not a great holiday season for a so called non-profit homeless group. uho aka the united homeless organzation in operation since 1985, has been ordered off the streets of nyc mainly in the midtown manhattan area by a judge. 'uho' is in huge trouble accused of both fraud and also it's member/volunteers 'pocketing' the donations of money to a charity. here the wabc-tv ch. 7 news story link for more details.

http://abclocal.go.com/wabc/story?section=news/local&id=7172436

I've seen them on the Brighton Line. I knew it was fraud as soon as I laid eyes on them:

1. Badly done "identification" tags; they were just pieces of laminated cardboard with UHO written on them and a piece of yarn to keep it around their necks.
  2. Panhandling with a large cup; I found it really ironic when they were asking for donations right in front of an ad that stated: Panhandling is illegal. Please donate to legitimate charities.
  3. Invoking religion; you know when they use "God" anywhere in their announcement, they are actually appealing to everyone's emotions. No legitimate charity would take advantage of religious beliefs to compel people to donate.

[*]Invoking religion; you know when they use "God" anywhere in their announcement, they are actually appealing to everyone's emotions. No legitimate charity would take advantage of religious beliefs to compel people to donate.

The Catholic Church sure does :(

Eventually this was going to happen one way or the other. This is why I never give money of any sort to people in the subway because it is ILLEGAL, yet people like to pander to their sorrow and pity which totally fails.

This is why I never give money of any sort to people in the subway because it is ILLEGAL, yet people like to pander to their sorrow and pity which totally fails.

I agree. Once, I was on the (7), and some homeless guy came in and said, "I have not eaten anything anything for three days". However, when he collected money, his can of Pringles(it had no chips in it) still was very jangly when he shook it.

I agree. Once, I was on the (7), and some homeless guy came in and said, "I have not eaten anything anything for three days". However, when he collected money, his can of Pringles(it had no chips in it) still was very jangly when he shook it.

Trust me, these so-called "homeless" people you see on the subway are good actors, but they're not good enough to impress me. We all know what they do with the money they receive, and they sure as hell don't spend it on food.

I always had a feeling they were not 100% legit.

- A

Exactly! I've never heard of an organization that does not receive grants or funds from high-ranking governmental officials. PBS is big on funds yet they're public broadcasters.

The UHO's still pulling tricks up their sleeve. I saw one of them on the (4) train today. He claimed to be a part of a group that would help the coat march (or whatever it was). But he had a badge and can with the "UHO" logo on it. I snickered from the stupidity; no one else fell for it, either.

I am glad they put a stop to it. A guy from UHO set up shop outside Paragon Sports near Union Square (Broadway & 18th St) with a 5-gallon water jar, asking for "just a penny". However, I was often harassed on my way out of the store or when just passing by, especially if I happened to be carrying shopping bags. I never gave the guy anything. He never seemed legit to me and I am glad, like I said, that the shenanigans will now end.

I am glad they put a stop to it. A guy from UHO set up shop outside Paragon Sports near Union Square (Broadway & 18th St) with a 5-gallon water jar, asking for "just a penny". However, I was often harassed on my way out of the store or when just passing by, especially if I happened to be carrying shopping bags. I never gave the guy anything. He never seemed legit to me and I am glad, like I said, that the shenanigans will now end.

I have a very clear policy when it comes to people asking me for things.

You want directions? Fine. You want some food? If I have some and you ask nice maybe I'll help you.

You want money? You'll almost never get it.

My all time favorite is the stupid broad who came up to me at 125th St Metro North (and for the record, she was white). Looks well to do, wearing clothing that looks like it wasn't picked up at the Salvation Army but it's not brand name, all right.

Comes up to me and gives me some sob story about how she has no fare home and needs 12 bucks to get the train, and how she realizes that's a lot so she's going to break it down and ask everyone for 2 dollars so she can get a ride home. I don't believe in giving to these kinds of people whatsoever. She's not poor. She RAN out of money. Her problem, not mine.

"Ma'am, I don't have any money for you"

So she snaps "What? Oh come on, it's ONLY two dollars, what the hell is with people?"

"Don't you have credit cards, a bank card, something else that you can use instead of asking me for money?"

She gives some BS reason avoiding the question of course, careful to add, "It's only TWO dollars!"

And I just said to her, "ma'am to you on any other day it may be ONLY two dollars but maybe to me it isn't ONLY two dollars. And right now, that two dollars means a lot to you right now...and I don't owe it to you, it's mine, and you asked me for it, and I said no, and that's my right to do that whether you like it or not"

And she moved on. No one else that heard the exchange gave her money either. Hey, life lessons...some people gotta learn em, you don't do that.

The so-called homeless people that piss me off are the ones that get upset when you say that you don't have any change. If you want money from me, you have a better chance getting it when you're not being a Dick.

Also, something interesting to note is that being homeless in a big city has it's advantages, whereas somewhere with a smaller population and lack of buisnesses you'd probably die of starvation quick.

If i see any of these people i'm calling the cops. I never gave (neither did my girlfriend) to these folks, sensing something amiss. Her and i are generous to a fault, she does all kinds of charity stuff where possible, i help with food basket deliveries (i help deliver them) and red cross donations, even though i'm on welfare, but i would never ask someone i didnt know for something i didnt need, if all options are exhausted, maybe. what pisses me off is the amount of money in those water jug containers.... Set up in touristy/busy spots..... Like right outside NYP at the dead end of 32nd st.... :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad: Could have gone to aids research, cancer research, even the (MTA) budget would have been a more suitable use for these monies.

- A

I have a very clear policy when it comes to people asking me for things.

You want directions? Fine. You want some food? If I have some and you ask nice maybe I'll help you.

You want money? You'll almost never get it.

My all time favorite is the stupid broad who came up to me at 125th St Metro North (and for the record, she was white). Looks well to do, wearing clothing that looks like it wasn't picked up at the Salvation Army but it's not brand name, all right.

Comes up to me and gives me some sob story about how she has no fare home and needs 12 bucks to get the train, and how she realizes that's a lot so she's going to break it down and ask everyone for 2 dollars so she can get a ride home. I don't believe in giving to these kinds of people whatsoever. She's not poor. She RAN out of money. Her problem, not mine.

"Ma'am, I don't have any money for you"

So she snaps "What? Oh come on, it's ONLY two dollars, what the hell is with people?"

"Don't you have credit cards, a bank card, something else that you can use instead of asking me for money?"

She gives some BS reason avoiding the question of course, careful to add, "It's only TWO dollars!"

And I just said to her, "ma'am to you on any other day it may be ONLY two dollars but maybe to me it isn't ONLY two dollars. And right now, that two dollars means a lot to you right now...and I don't owe it to you, it's mine, and you asked me for it, and I said no, and that's my right to do that whether you like it or not"

And she moved on. No one else that heard the exchange gave her money either. Hey, life lessons...some people gotta learn em, you don't do that.

You should have told her to just walk home. I know it sounds crazy, but even if it takes her all day (and night), it can be done. I would never ask people for money if I lose my wallet or some such thing and fail to have a way to get home. I have on several occasions gone out for a walk, with the intention of walking for 1.5 to 2 hours (I used to walk all over the Rockaways and southern Queens last summer), and mostly my plan was to take the train/bus back home. However, on two occasions I forgot my wallet and couldn't get in the subway. What did I do? I simply walked all the way back home to Arverne from Howard Beach or Lawrence in Nassau County. It took me a while, but it was actually fun. Any able-bodied adult should be able to do it.

I also often get off far from my stop and walk home just for the exercise. For example, instead of taking the (A) train to Beach 67th, I would take the (5) to Brooklyn College-Flatbush Avenue, take the Q35 to Beach 116th and walk the last 40 or so blocks.

I have been approached often by people with sob stories about having lost their purse/wallet and having no way to get home. The only case I help out is this: if they ask for a quarter to use a public telephone to call someone (friend/family) to come and pick them up and give them a ride home. If I were to find myself penniless and far from home, that is the only kind of "begging" I would ever allow myself to do. Asking for anything more is shameless. I would rather sell my coat or something to pay for a ride than ask random people.

Archived