Interesting TV Commercial Featuring The Brand New R36 WF Cars

EE Broadway Local

Yeah ive seen this lots of times even the JFK Exp, many here too i guess..

Love the color of the World Fair Cars, even R33WF had em.

REDBIRDS ROCKS!

Heres the same Worlds Fair car, but in color on the TOMC:

img_88727.jpg

Times Square or Grand Central to Willets Point in under 20 minutes.

Don't know what kind of Flushing Line they had back then, but certainly doesn't sound like the express we have today.

Yup. I guess the population in NYC wasn't high during that time? And maybe the <7> skipped Woodside and Junction Blvd?

Don't know what kind of Flushing Line they had back then, but certainly doesn't sound like the express we have today.

This commercial is amazing.The (7) line hasn`t changed much at all!!!.Willets Pt still look the same.That one part when the train was going over the Grand Central Pkwy was epic.The Arthur Ashe stadium was missing and the Terrace building as well.Also you can see small snippets of Jackson Heights.The worlds fair was like Disney In Queens!! Sad to see what those cars had to endure just a decade later.

This commercial is amazing.The (7) line hasn`t changed much at all!!!.Willets Pt still look the same.That one part when the train was going over the Grand Central Pkwy was epic.The Arthur Ashe stadium was missing and the Terrace building as well.Also you can see small snippets of Jackson Heights.The worlds fair was like Disney In Queens!! Sad to see what those cars had to endure just a decade later.

the usta flushing meadows tennis center was bulit in the early 1970's(correct me if i am wrong)including the main stadium now known as ashe stadium. prior to that the us tennis open was held in forest hills.

I think the <7> after Mets games takes < 20 minutes, but I'm not 100% sure.

The song is so cheesy, but yet catchy!Thanks for posting this.
You're welcome. I'm happy everyone is enjoying this interesting bit of New York City Transit history.

In addition to the World's Fair and the R33/R36WF cars, Shea Stadium and the R32 Brightliners were new and The Bronx had a place called Freedomland where Co-Op City is today.

Good find!

Yea, take the train to the world's fair, that ended up bankrupting the city & state and resulted in the hell years of total transit nightmare. Brand new picture window cars "oh em gee!:eek:" :)

In this time frame, H&M had K cars, with much more window to wall ratio, you could actually see where you were.

I have a feeling this ad was developed separately from the rest of the worlds fair planning, seeing as it revolved mainly around the automobile.

What's with those gondola style things up in the air behind the unisphere? :confused:

Ah, the wonderful era of "space age" style over substance. :)

- A

It seems funny, but the 1939-1940 World's Fair seems more remembered than the 1964-1965 World's Fair.

The 1939 "WPA Guide to New York City" has a chapter on the fair; the 1964 "Hart's Guide To New York City" has just under a page.

Both fairs had an impact on The Flushing Line.

Archived