Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

Question(s) about the R-11/R-34

R10 2952

By examining pictures, I have noticed that, especially after their rebuild, the ten R-11s very rarely ran together in a full consist (ten cars). even when not on the Franklin Avenue (S), they didn't usually run in a train of more than 4-6 cars. Why is that?

-Why did the R-11s spend most of their lives in the BMT Southern Division?

-What were they like (I mean not visually, because I've seen pictures, but riding quality, reliability, etc.)?

-Why were they used only sporadically and retired along with the R1/9s?

-If not for their early retirement, and some of them getting involved in accidents, is it possible that they would have made it to a later time period, say the late 1980s or early 1990s?

-If they had made it until then, would it have been a good idea to put them in GOH? Why or why not?

-Did the R-11s ever frequent lines outside of BMT Eastern and Southern Divisions? If so, when and where?

-In what ways were they changed during refurbishment in 1964/65? Why were they refurbished so early on in the first place?

-Is it possible that the R-11 at the Transit Museum will eventually be restored to operational order?

I hope this doesn't overwhelm anybody.

-In what ways were they changed during refurbishment in 1964/65? Why were they refurbished so early on in the first place?

-Is it possible that the R-11 at the Transit Museum will eventually be restored to operational order?

I hope this doesn't overwhelm anybody.

i'm just familiar with the last two, the others require someone who was actually alive to ride them to answer.

the R11s originally had (debuted) electric door motors, drum brakes, fuses, etc. the R34's had many of these replaced:

-drum brakes back to conventional tread brakes

-fuses to circuit breakers

-new fans installed

-velon seats replaced with the current fiberglass seats

-mid line pole sanctions removed to improve passenger flow

propulsion gear remained wholly unchanged, while minor in-car, passenger amenities were replaced

-ex: thermostat

it is unlikely that the R11 will be restored to operational order, since most of the parts would have to be custom made, and that would be prohibitively expensive given the current economic. however, if it was theoretically restored, it would be able to run with the currently being retired SMEE fleet.

It is unlikely that the R11 will be restored to operational order, since most of the parts would have to be custom made, and that would be prohibitively expensive given the current economic.

Well, it's not like the economic crisis will last forever. I mean, they're not going to let that R-11 just sit and rot at the Transit Museum for the next half-century, will they? For example, what if they were to start restoration work on it 2-10 years from now (or something)? I guess that all I can say is that based on my way of thinking, I'm thinking that eventually it could be restored, considering that the BMT BU cars and the R1/R9s (which were probably a very difficult task themselves) were restored. But I'm just glad with what we currently have, although I'd love to see that R-11 on a fan trip or something. That would be awesome!

Well, it's not like the economic crisis will last forever. I mean, they're not going to let that R-11 just sit and rot at the Transit Museum for the next half-century, will they? For example, what if they were to start restoration work on it 2-10 years from now (or something)? I guess that all I can say is that based on my way of thinking, I'm thinking that eventually it could be restored, considering that the BMT BU cars and the R1/R9s (which were probably a very difficult task themselves) were restored. But I'm just glad with what we currently have, although I'd love to see that R-11 on a fan trip or something. That would be awesome!

It is not "sitting and rotting." The car as it stands is a static display and is maintained. Many things continue to be worked on with other cars in the meantime. R1/R9's were difficult work and were in poor shape to begin with but have been nursed back to health and that is why the Arnine train keeps getting longer and longer. Maybe someday there will be 10 cars. Then after that who knows what will follow but there are A/B's and D types stored outside which might make for an interesting project. The R-11 is safely in the museum where it is safe from most of the elements, and those cars are cleaned and checked periodically to make sure there are no problems. Maybe someday but right now there are other cars that are being worked on.

i'm just familiar with the last two, the others require someone who was actually alive to ride them to answer.

the R11s originally had (debuted) electric door motors, drum brakes, fuses, etc. the R34's had many of these replaced:

-drum brakes back to conventional tread brakes

-fuses to circuit breakers

-new fans installed

-velon seats replaced with the current fiberglass seats

-mid line pole sanctions removed to improve passenger flow

propulsion gear remained wholly unchanged, while minor in-car, passenger amenities were replaced

-ex: thermostat

it is unlikely that the R11 will be restored to operational order, since most of the parts would have to be custom made, and that would be prohibitively expensive given the current economic. however, if it was theoretically restored, it would be able to run with the currently being retired SMEE fleet.

Another important change to mention during that overhaul was the removal of the "precipitron" lighting. This was back during the days when many diseases we are vaccinated against (such as polio) did not have vaccines, and the precipitron lighting was supposed to kill germs. They also found out it sterlized more than just diseases and pretty soon the "germicidal" (spermicidal? :P) lighting was removed from the cars.

Archived