How Do You Guys Feel About Holding Doors (Subways-Trains-SIR)

FamousNYLover

How do you guys/girls feel about holding doors on subway, train, or Staten Island Railway?

To me, I don't like it because it delay the subway.

One time, when I was at Lex Av-59th St, (R) had mechanical door problem long time ago. After problem fix, C/O on Brooklyn-bound (R) kept announcing, "Please do not hold cars door open. Holding doors will shutdown engine and delay the train."

If school field trip was on subway, I like it.

I remember when I was on one IRT Station, I believe teacher was taking elementary student on subway and both teachers were holding door for them and conductor rudefully repeated "Don't hold the door!"

Other passengers and I were in same car, "These are the students."

If student was on field trip, they have no choice because if they get seperated, they will be lost or afraid, or teacher will be worried.

After (L) became OPTO on weekend, and I remember I was on T/O's car, 1st car on 8th Av-bound (L).

At 1st Av, rear car had door trouble heard by other (NYCT) employee over crackling of radio. He run all the way to rear of train and finally fix after about 25 minutes I think.

I ask this because I'm afraid of closing door since the incident.

1. I was behind the stroller on uptown 51st St (6) platform, and as I was going I got little scratch when door almost closed door on me.

2. Another incident that Brooklyn-bound (R) almost closed door on me.

Every since that incident, I care about student safety when they're on field trip via subway.

I ask this because I'm afraid of closing door since the incident.

1. I was behind the stroller on uptown 51st St (6) platform, and as I was going I got little scratch when door almost closed door on me.

2. Another incident that Brooklyn-bound (R) almost closed door on me.

Every since that incident, I care about student safety when they're on field trip via subway.

Are you kidding me? Your an adult overcome your fears.

Heh there's been a few times I've been getting on a train and the C/R has closed the rear and sees me about a car length from the front coming down the stairs and basically says "hurry up, you can make it" being nice...they're caught off guard when I tell a lot of 'em "nah go ahead, I'll get the next one", bet most passengers make a clumsy dash for it

Are you kidding me? Your an adult overcome your fears.

No I not kidding.

After that incident, I kept muttering "Don't close door on me".

on 51st St (6) incident it was during rush hour mother with stroller was blocking view of me and blocking the door, and it was not full on first car. I got little scratch when R142 closed door and my arm got scratch from it.

No I not kidding.

on 51st St (6) incident it was during rush hour mother with stroller was blocking view of me and blocking the door, and it was not full on first car. I got little scratch when R142 closed door and my arm got scratch from it.

Next time if something like that happends, say "excuse me" and if you feel you cannot make it inside of the car, step out and wait for the next train. No one here wants you to get hurt. :tup:

Miss the train, not your step. Common sense will tell you that if you hold the doors too long, you delay the train you're holding an the other ones behind it. Let it go and take the next one. I guess that's why conductors and train operators are sometimes grouchy.

No I not kidding.

Dab some peroxide on it, place a bandage on it. Move on. Why create a whole "one sided" controversy over a minuscule event?

It was just today. This couple was transporting like a bike, ladders, and like two carts of stuff. The guy got only one of the carts on 'cause mad people were getting off (last car, New Utrecht, everybody transferring to the Manhattan (N) upstairs). Then he went back and forth, bringing in one item at a time, and the conductor wouldn't open the doors back up until they already got everything on... then we just sat in the station for like another minute before we moved.

Not really that annoyed, but the whole thing was just so silly.

People shouldn't hold doors, it's bad enough making local stops on a subway train already. If the train is full waiting for the next one shouldn't be so hard. I avoid crowded trains whenever I can!

Last year on a school field trip in high school we took the subway to the Whitney Museum in Manhattan and on the way back to Queens we ran into a nearly crowded (6) train! Most of my classmates were able to fit in but I wasn't, so I let that train go and picked up the next one which came surprisingly quick, and it was empty too! Caught up with the rest of my mates at the Lexington Av/53rd Street station!

"There's always one."

This, being the mantra of my commute. There is always one person who insists that he or she pries open the train doors... and then, we begin the door recycling.

And the train gets delayed.

I cannot stand it, and think that train doors should be designed to amputate people who do that. Kidding, of course, but I think you get my drift.

People shouldn't hold doors, it's bad enough making local stops on a subway train already. If the train is full waiting for the next one shouldn't be so hard. I avoid crowded trains whenever I can!

Last year on a school field trip in high school we took the subway to the Whitney Museum in Manhattan and on the way back to Queens we ran into a nearly crowded (6) train! Most of my classmates were able to fit in but I wasn't, so I let that train go and picked up the next one which came surprisingly quick, and it was empty too! Caught up with the rest of my mates at the Lexington Av/53rd Street station!

Did your teacher got worried?

Holding the doors should be made illegal, and people who do it (intentionally, not people who actually get stuck) should be fined. There is NO reason why we should hold the train for anyone, whether it's a friend or a big group. I don't think these people have ever heard of the concept of waiting for the next train, they should try it sometime:mad:. That's why I'm glad I ride the LIRR: you try to hold the doors (rather door, there's only one), you find out the hard way that it's impossible:p, but we still get our share of bimbos running for the train and the C/R letting them on. And just as a side note, I agree with fishmech about the whole thing of people standing so the doors

can't close. That's why everyone needs to also learn to move to the center of the car, especially them tourists:mad:

PS- sorry for the rant, but holding doors and not moving in are the most annoying things about subway riders

That's why everyone needs to also learn to move to the center of the car, especially them tourists:mad:

Good point. The irony of the whole thing of course is the tourists doing it do it with a big chuckle "oh look we're like real New Yorkers forcing our way onto the train! Come on! There's room!" when in reality the REAL New Yorkers are nothing like that, just the "intelligent" out of state yuppies that come here because of their job, and the tourists that come here who assume incorrectly that that's what we're like and use it as an excuse to behave that way themselves.

Yuki, have you ever heard of "please use ALL available doors"?

If someone holds the door for me, I have no problem with it, but I will NEVER hold the doors for someone (especially since I have a seat about 95% of the time).

There was this one question in the C/R test last year about school groups boarding the train, and the correct answer had something to do with the teacher giving the C/R a signal to close the doors.

Not only have I seen door recycling in the New York City Subway, but on the Broad Street Line after Phillies games as well as PATCO too.

Archived