Port Authority to vote on toll increase

Trainspotter

Port Authority to vote on toll increase

Millions of drivers who commute into New York City from New Jersey could get an unwanted New Year's gift.

The board of the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey is scheduled to vote next Friday on a proposal to raise tolls by 33 percent.

The Port Authority owns six bridges and tunnels that link the two states.

The agency wants to raise rush-hour tolls on the crossings from $6 to $8.

Fares on PATH commuter trains would increase from $1.50 to $2.

More than 120 million drivers cross Port Authority bridges and tunnels each year, and about 227,000 passengers take the PATH trains everyday.

If approved, the increases would take effect in March.

The PATH increase should have been $0.25 and no more. If you think about it, $2.00 is pretty cheap for a rail line that can take you to four different cities.

True. But you know how it is with ppl, and I'll include myself, we don't want to pay more than what we have to now. Ya, we're getting pretty damn good interstate travel, but it goes too fast for it to be 2 bucks for us. :P

True. But you know how it is with ppl, and I'll include myself, we don't want to pay more than what we have to now. Ya, we're getting pretty damn good interstate travel, but it goes too fast for it to be 2 bucks for us. :P

I'm not familiar on how often the Port Authority raises the PATH fares. Do you know when the last increase was?

I'm not familiar on how often the Port Authority raises the PATH fares. Do you know when the last increase was?

Hmmm.....quite a few years back. I think the $1.50 fare came into effect sometime between 2000-2002. I remember the days when it was only a buck! Then jumped right to $1.50. Might've been 2002 that the fare became $1.50.

Hmmm.....quite a few years back. I think the $1.50 fare came into effect sometime between 2000-2002. I remember the days when it was only a buck! Then jumped right to $1.50. Might've been 2002 that the fare became $1.50.

Yes, I remember in the early or mid 90s when I used to head to Newark with my boys to shop. That buck took us all the way to Newark.

Yes, I remember in the early or mid 90s when I used to head to Newark with my boys to shop. That buck took us all the way to Newark.

Ya, me and dad did the entire system with a dollar. Started in Newark and ended in Newark. IIRC, we did NWK-WTC, WTC-HOB, HOB-33rd St, 33rd St-JSQ, JSQ-NWK. We did this during the evening rush. At NWK Penn, instead of getting back on PATH to go to NY, we took the railroad to NY Penn and rode the subway somewhere for a bite, then back to PATH for Jersey City.

Archived