Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.

MTA cuts would leave Queens commuters stranded if W and Z train lines are eliminated

Harry

Queens straphangers are none too pleased with the MTA's holiday surprise.

Many worried about what the elimination of two subway lines and five borough bus routes would mean for their commutes following the Metropolitan Transportation Authority's vote Wednesday to close an almost $400 million budget shortfall.

The cuts include nixing the (W) and (Z) subway lines - which serve Astoria and Jamaica, respectively. Evening and weekend bus service on about eight borough routes and some stops on the (G) line could also be affected.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/queens/2009/12/18/2009-12-18_riders_offtrack_mta_cuts_leave_qns_commuters_hanging.html#ixzz0a2tbMaS0

post-1-133288581254_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288581254_thumb.jpg

The J and Z are not subway lines. They are part of the Jamaica Ave and Astoria lines. These lines still exist. the News makes it sound as if full lines are being shut down. Neither one of these trains existed years ago.

Queens straphangers are none too pleased with the MTA's holiday surprise.

Many worried about what the elimination of two subway lines and five borough bus routes would mean for their commutes following the Metropolitan Transportation Authority's vote Wednesday to close an almost $400 million budget shortfall.

The cuts include nixing the (W) and (Z) subway lines - which serve Astoria and Jamaica, respectively. Evening and weekend bus service on about eight borough routes and some stops on the (G) line could also be affected.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/queens/2009/12/18/2009-12-18_riders_offtrack_mta_cuts_leave_qns_commuters_hanging.html#ixzz0a2tbMaS0

IF these cuts happen they arent going to go in to effect until like, well the summer...

I dont know if people realize this...

The (Z) isnt that major of a line...its just added service. If you cut that you have more trains to run on the (J). So I really don't see how anyone is being stranded there. Now the (W) is very much useful to me. I have a direct line to Astoria when I need it and the best part is I always get a seat. I mean there's still the (R) after the cuts but it's not THAT bad. I'd freak out if they cut the (1).

You'd be surprised. I've ridden the (J) from end to end without the skip-stop. It's not significantly slower. The ride isn't that bad. Plus I've seen people in the morning rush jump off the (E)(F) to the (R) at 71st Ave for the sake of having a seat. Some of us don't mind sacrificing an earlier wake up time to go to work if we can get a train that has seats and rest on the way to it.

You'd be surprised. I've ridden the (J) from end to end without the skip-stop. It's not significantly slower. The ride isn't that bad. Plus I've seen people in the morning rush jump off the (E)(F) to the (R) at 71st Ave for the sake of having a seat. Some of us don't mind sacrificing an earlier wake up time to go to work if we can get a train that has seats and rest on the way to it.

You're right. Most people have no sense of time and fret over riding local trains/non-skip-stop-service. I have seen people go raving mad when the conductor announces that the (A) is running local on Fulton St, even if they are getting off at Broadway Junction on a Manhattan-bound train. The 3 extra stops take barely 4 extra minutes.

Very often, riders going to a local stop waste a massive amount of time waiting for an express train, taking it to the nearest major station, and then waiting some more for their local, when they could have taken the local train directly. (C) riders who complain about long commutes don't realize that is mainly because of their insistence on waiting for an (A), for example.

Archived