Fox-TV maybe off the air on all Time Warner cable nationally due to contract dispute?

Shortline Bus

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
that why imo the american news media cable news channels sucks as a whole because they put ratings ahead of reporting the facts.

a few years before he passed away walter cronckite stated how his bosses at CBS News complained at the high costs of $$$ to produce a daily newscast & sending reporters around the nation and globe.

back in the 1960/70's was the golden age of tv news when the facts only mattered on then only '3'' national stations that imo had little or no partisan in their reports on political news and not the senationalism that around on even traditional newscasts.

I know a lot of people say that, but it's rubbish. Back then people just put on Walter Cronkite who ended his broadcasts with "and that's the way it is." The difference back then is that people didn't have other television or internet outlets to go to. The entire nation just sat and got their brainwashing from the same source. I don't see how that's preferable to deciding whether you want "find out what to think" from Olberman, O'Reilly, Hannity or even Leno. But I agree with what Guy said, you have to think for yourself. Too many people in this country parrot exactly what they hear from one or two of the aforementioned empty-suits. And when they do, I call them out on it right away and remind them not to accept every opinion these idiots have as fact. And yep, it's people "on both sides" and they're usually quick to accuse each other of the same thing.

I know a lot of people say that, but it's rubbish. Back then people just put on Walter Cronkite who ended his broadcasts with "and that's the way it is." The difference back then is that people didn't have other television or internet outlets to go to. The entire nation just sat and got their brainwashing from the same source. I don't see how that's preferable to deciding whether you want "find out what to think" from Olberman, O'Reilly, Hannity or even Leno. But I agree with what Guy said, you have to think for yourself. Too many people in this country parrot exactly what they hear from one or two of the aforementioned empty-suits. And when they do, I call them out on it right away and remind them not to accept every opinion these idiots have as fact. And yep, it's people "on both sides" and they're usually quick to accuse each other of the same thing.

here my reply. i did not mean analysis of the current news of the day my friend bway. however you comments you made mr. buffett are an excellent point. At least we agree (subway guy, Broadway & Myself) is after viewing the news is to make decsions for ourselves important issues whether voting for our next Senator or being a customer at a bank that played a role in our current worldwide recession.

IMO, Good or bad on the national tv news front in the US at that time there was a semi monoply and you only choices were ABC NBC or CBS.

what i meant the golden age of tv news in the 60's/70's was the fact newsgathering and reporting was not this 'hollywood' style production being one. Also arguably among two of the biggest news stories for the network news in the 2nd half of the 20th Century Watergate and the chaos of Vietnam in today's news world would be very hard to 'investgate' further due to 'limited budgets' that most US TV News divisons have. There a reason that other than London, Tokyo Moscow and because of the wars/crisis in Iraq and Middle East, they closed news offices in much of the world.

So in summary while you make a great point Bway that americans have 'more choices' than ever for news from headlines-sports-entertainment, the biggest problem in tv news is the 'rush' to break a story and be the first to report even if they are wrong than being 'accurate' is my whole point. Perfect example is Fox News a few years back when they reported Pope John Paul II died 2 days before the Vactican offically did.

While at same time TMZ being the first media outlet worldwide to report offically on micheal jackson's death last summer.

just my takes.:)

Very true. The other thing worth pointing out is that people generally get their news sources from people that agree with them (by choosing one that reflects their tilt) which only FURTHER REINFORCES what they already "think" and adds that slant to every aspect of the news. It's the ultimate "preaching to the choir" but the choir is already recruited and wants to be TOLD MORE. "Yes, father, tell me what to believe - now that I believe in Jesus, and you do too, I will believe everything that you say about anything"

So rather than having to defend their position against opposition viewpoints which actually leads to a better and deeper understanding, they now have only to parrot the same ideas off each other and all agree with one another and they can't even really defend their position, they just believe it, and then start believing everything else the pundit of their choice spouts. Missing at all times: critical thinking.

well my frriend you could have it worst and live with a cable provider that has according to most of its customers the worst cable tv service in the country, charles and james dolan's own cablevision.

also are you (nel) allowed to dump time warner and get direct tv or dish in your home or apartment?

you're not allow to get any satellite tv in any apartment.

Anyway,I don't know what's going on with theses company lately,but I have Direct TV and comcast took away Verus away,because they wanted Direct to pay more money to carry Verus and Direct said hell no....so the NHL fans can't watch their hockey game in which most of their games is on VS and their rating is already down.

The FCC has specific rules in place to prohibit unreasonable barring of satellite dishes on apartment complexes.

not true i live in a coop and as part of the bi laws it is prohibited to have any dishes of any kind outside the windows because it defaces the property therfore you are stuck with time warner

not true i live in a coop and as part of the bi laws it is prohibited to have any dishes of any kind outside the windows because it defaces the property therfore you are stuck with time warner

and i know nel will be angry if this dispute causes time warner customers like him to miss the NFC playoffs on FOX. Nel is a bigtime Cowboys fan.

Only bright spot is that Giants fans in NYC/NJ metro area in NFL's Biggest market wont go nuts on this blackout since the Giants wont be in the playoffs this season.

and i know nel will be angry if this dispute causes time warner customers like him to miss the NFC playoffs on FOX. Nel is a bigtime Cowboys fan.

Only bright spot is that Giants fans in NYC/NJ metro area in NFL's Biggest market wont go nuts on this blackout since the Giants wont be in the playoffs this season.

definitely had to go out in a blizzard to espn zone to catch the cowboy-saint game time warner refuses to carry the nfl network and now without fox 5 dont know what im going to do guess ill be living in a sports bar

My apartment won't let anybody place any satellite dish unless your facing a specific direction. Why they do that, beats me.

Anyways, for the people who don't watch T.V. obviously this isn't going to affect you at all. However, I need Fox 5 entertainment. How am I going to watch the World Series and the ALCS. I'm not that into Football, but baseballs a must.

This is bulllll.

My apartment won't let anybody place any satellite dish unless your facing a specific direction. Why they do that, beats me.

Anyways, for the people who don't watch T.V. obviously this isn't going to affect you at all. However, I need Fox 5 entertainment. How am I going to watch the World Series and the ALCS. I'm not that into Football, but baseballs a must.

This is bulllll.

i agree.:mad: Especially approaching the end of the Holiday Season and what a crappy New Year gift to TW Cable customers. There a chance in worst case, that the NFC Championship game could be blacked out.:tdown:

Konvicted i could be wrong but i do think that by start of the new MLB season in mid-april, Fox-TV/Ch. 5 in NYC will return to TW Cable systems by then. If this possible contract dispute between Fox-TV/News Corp; boss rupert mudrock and twc continues by spring then it time imo to if possible 'fire' twc imo and get verzion fios, dish-network or direct tv. only problem is that Time Warner Cablevision and Comcast controls 90% of the east coast's digital cable/high speed internet services:confused:.

i agree.:mad: Especially approaching the end of the Holiday Season and what a crappy New Year gift to TW Cable customers. There a chance in worst case, that the NFC Championship game could be blacked out.:tdown:

Konvicted i could be wrong but i do think that by start of the new MLB season in mid-april, Fox-TV/Ch. 5 in NYC will return to TW Cable systems by then. If this possible contract dispute between Fox-TV/News Corp; boss rupert mudrock and twc continues by spring then it time imo to if possible 'fire' twc imo and get verzion fios, dish-network or direct tv. only problem is that Time Warner Cablevision and Comcast controls 90% of the east coast's digital cable/high speed internet services:confused:.

i was wondering can the fcc step into this dispute between time warner and fox and set up some kind of binding arbitration

glad i got cablevision lol....yea i work @ cablevision for one of the call centers and the last timewarner had a channel disupte (the nick thing last time) alot of people called.....now the networks i feel are equally to blame for these problems with whos makeing a profit becasue (and thank god for the net!) if we could pick and choose channels we would save money on that and not have to worry if we are lossing any of our favorite channels (and all my years with cablevision going on 5 i have all my favorites! same with direct tv only two providers i recommend) now the small networks that have no veiwers always try to stop this process from happening becasue they would loose veiwers and go off the air....imagine hey i only want to pay for 3 channels that save us money! but we have to put up with all the other crap channels that we are never going to watch! i mean how many Fox channels we need? how many repeated lineups we need? do we really need an HBO west coast feed? some networks just have useless channels!

the fcc ruled against the a la carte system because cable companies would not make a profit because u wouldnt have to have all these junk channels such as all these shopping and lifestyle channels and the cable companies control the fcc an example of that is rupert murdoch owning two stations in the same market and aside from that a newspaper too

the fcc ruled against the a la carte system because cable companies would not make a profit because u wouldnt have to have all these junk channels such as all these shopping and lifestyle channels and the cable companies control the fcc an example of that is rupert murdoch owning two stations in the same market and aside from that a newspaper too

in a lot of cases the satalite, cable and phone compaines have to much power and get away with alot with the FCC....verizon refused to instal fios in mass. becasue there old copper lines they used a loop hole to not pay property tax...but since fios uses a diffrent wiring and boxs installed in diffrent areas they would have to pay the property tax required...

http://www.dslreports.com/

i find alot of crazy intrasting stuff on this web site......i just need an internet connection and my xbox with netflix and i am good lol

glad i got cablevision lol....yea i work @ cablevision for one of the call centers and the last timewarner had a channel disupte (the nick thing last time) alot of people called.....now the networks i feel are equally to blame for these problems with whos makeing a profit becasue (and thank god for the net!) if we could pick and choose channels we would save money on that and not have to worry if we are lossing any of our favorite channels (and all my years with cablevision going on 5 i have all my favorites! same with direct tv only two providers i recommend) now the small networks that have no veiwers always try to stop this process from happening becasue they would loose veiwers and go off the air....imagine hey i only want to pay for 3 channels that save us money! but we have to put up with all the other crap channels that we are never going to watch! i mean how many Fox channels we need? how many repeated lineups we need? do we really need an HBO west coast feed? some networks just have useless channels!

well said my friend. both time warner and mr. mudrock and his partners are equally to blame.

well bad news. Even with involvement of Sen John Kerry, that barring a new year's holiday 'surprise' today 12/31/09 is maybe the last time twc customers like myself can get fox-tv, fx and fox news for while. the only thing i miss is the nfl's nfc playoffs as i am bored with 'american idol.' here this morning ny daily news.

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/tv/2009/12/30/2009-12-30_fox_time_warner_set_to_call_it_quits.html

+1. Well said.

The business barons want it all, and if you have to buy 10 Farsi language stations and the Al Jazeera network just so you can watch HBO and Showtime, they wouldn't care. If they knew they were supporting terrorism they don't care. All large companies care about is PROFIT at YOUR expense HOWEVER it happens as long as it won't land them in the slammer (and some don't even care about that).

Because they are run by BOARDS and not PEOPLE they are much more bold and brazen in what they think they can get away with.

Tell them NO. Tell them you care about your PERSONAL profit. If you don't like what you see, downgrade your cable package and downgrade THEIR profits, cuz that's the only thing they recognize is when the bean counters count the money coming in. At the end of the day, we don't need TV to get through the day. There are plenty of other ways to entertain ourselves, particularly with the availability of content for free on the web (ya just gotta know where to look :()

+1. Well said.

The business barons want it all, and if you have to buy 10 Farsi language stations and the Al Jazeera network just so you can watch HBO and Showtime, they wouldn't care. If they knew they were supporting terrorism they don't care. All large companies care about is PROFIT at YOUR expense HOWEVER it happens as long as it won't land them in the slammer (and some don't even care about that).

Because they are run by BOARDS and not PEOPLE they are much more bold and brazen in what they think they can get away with.

Tell them NO. Tell them you care about your PERSONAL profit. If you don't like what you see, downgrade your cable package and downgrade THEIR profits, cuz that's the only thing they recognize is when the bean counters count the money coming in. At the end of the day, we don't need TV to get through the day. There are plenty of other ways to entertain ourselves, particularly with the availability of content for free on the web (ya just gotta know where to look :()

you make good points and as someone who enjoys '24' i can go to the Fox website Hulu to see the new shows of jack bauer.

however as a sports fan and the 2009-10 nfl playoffs starting, this is where many twc customers will be angry. watching the games in live 'real time' is what makes it so special and twc among the usa' largest cable providers, i am sure nfl boss roger goddell will not be happy that as much as 5-10% of the nation's viewers cant watch the post season. At least the super bowl in Feb will be on CBS.

I wish cable had a ala carte as i would only watch a few digital channels myself mainly news info and few others ie history channel, weather channel bbc america espn(despite the crap it shows sometimes) national geo etc

Ok, so what channels would be off the air? Time Warner Cable,Brooklyn/Queens channels.

5-WYNY,10-FX.43-Fox Business,44-Fox News,124-Fox Soccer,125-Fox Sports En Espanol...any others?

Thank God the Jets game on Sunday night is on channel 4. We have missed a lot of good games since they black out the NFL Network.

true i read that the dispute is over carriage fees for the over the air network right now fox is getting 50 cents per cable subscriber they want to increase that to one dollar per subsciber. cablevision deal with fox came up two months ago and fox accepted fifty cents per subscriber

Actually what is going on is FOX wants $1 per sub from Time Warner like you said but currently they are only really getting 25 cents per sub. Its crafty how FOX is throwing all of the mud on Time Warner when they are the ones who want the increased rate.

Actually what is going on is FOX wants $1 per sub from Time Warner like you said but currently they are only really getting 25 cents per sub. Its crafty how FOX is throwing all of the mud on Time Warner when they are the ones who want the increased rate.

dumb question guys: how much does abc/espn (disney) cbs/mtv/vh1

nbc/universal and wpix/cw get for both their 'local/free' tv and digital cable stations from per subcriber? Sounds like Fox and Mr. Mudrock imo is finally getting broke after for about 15 years 'overpaying' for the NFL, MLB and Nascar packages and using these increased fees to make up the $$.

Archived