Fox-TV maybe off the air on all Time Warner cable nationally due to contract dispute?

Shortline Bus

Again television is not a RIGHT. It is a privilege. Many people do not have TV's, even today. Many people did not have radio's when radio's were popular, and many don't have computers or the internet, even today.

If you don't have adequate resources for something, then you don't, and food and drink and rent are more important so that is a better place to spend your money. Better to eat and be sheltered than watch the last episode of some mind rot shit like the Real World or Jersey Whore. I find it interesting that many of the people complaining about how TV is their right were the same ones saying the MTA needs to pay for all students to get free passes for school at the taxpayer's expense. I am sick and tired of subsidizing everyone else, and that is all that happens. I don't feel like paying more on my monthly cable bill just because a few people don't want to wait out negotiations between TWC and Fox and TWC just "gives FOX what FOX wants" and raises my rates accordingly.

The level of complaining in this forum has just gone through the roof in recent months too. It's about time people started solving their own problems instead of complaining or asking others to do it for them.

tell us how you really feel and no one is complaining this is a discussion about current events if you disagree that is your right but dont put others down in your rant and televsion in the 21st century is not a luxury its a necessity this aint little house on the prairie, next thing you will be saying is indoor plumbing is luxury not a necessity

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
you would be surprised how many people have older television sets that do not contain digital tuners thats why again the government gave out 50 vouchers for people to get converter boxes again the government got involved with a television issue. the fcc decided to make switch all television broadcast digital from analog

The switch happened back in June. People have had 7 months to get with the program.

tell us how you really feel and no one is complaining this is a discussion about current events if you disagree that is your right but dont put others down in your rant and televsion in the 21st century is not a luxury its a necessity this aint little house on the prairie, next thing you will be saying is indoor plumbing is luxury not a necessity

How is TV a necessity?

Really? TV is a necessity? You mean we can't get news and weather from newspapers or radio? What else is so important to people's lives that they NEED a TV to function. You don't need anything on TV. Were an earthquake to crumble this whole city in a minute, and you survive, I guarantee that NONE of you will be thinking about television and what needs to happen. If you were truly poor and starving, you'd be thinking about the next meal and how you're going to make it happen, not TV. TV is not a need. It's this that should be the real lesson of 9/11. People are content to go around in their little bubbles acting like everything is such a problem or so unfair, and when shit REALLY hits the fan, they are completely unprepared and it reminds them of what's really important...for about 5 minutes.

This country has become superficial to the point that it's no surprise the economy is in the shitter, because people don't even CARE the economy's in the shitter so long as they themselves are comfortable for now (even though they may not be in 5 years, and even though their neighbors and friends are not), because what makes them happy is their elected leaders are off fighting for their right to watch The Hills and Desperate Housewives. Truly a sorry state of affairs.

The switch happened back in June. People have had 7 months to get with the program.

Not only that, the switch was originally supposed to happen back in February and their were ads all over analog television signals telling people that it was going to happen and that there was a number to call if they were unsure of what they needed to do to convert. The February switch was POSTPONED 4 months due to the recession, the ads continued to run telling people to call the FREE NUMBER if they didn't know what they needed to do to switch, and STILL people were not ready when it happened.

You cannot help people who refuse to help themselves.

Is it just me, or are cable companies getting too big for their britches? The way they present themselves business-wise makes them seem a bit overconfident in the services they offer. I can live without TV.

You mean content providers? Cable companies simply provide the feed since they don't create the content.

You mean content providers? Cable companies simply provide the feed since they don't create the content.

Many cable provide the service and content time warner owns cnn,tbs,tnt,truth tv,hln,ny1,hbo,cinemax,court tv and the cartoon network and comcast just bought universal which includes the nbc network.bravo,msnbc,usa,syfy,cnbc and cablevision owns msg.msg plus,ifc and a few more. Television is a necessity in our society and the numbers back this up why are many of the newspapers and print media going out of business televsion and internet. have you ever heard the saying a picture is worth a thousand words its the truth , if television wasnt a necessity why do you have the hdtv explosion and cable providers industries worth billions television might not be important to you as an individual but to america as a whole it has become a necessity and i challenge anyone to find a household which does not own at least one televsion set in it.

Television is a necessity in our society and the numbers back this up why are many of the newspapers and print media going out of business televsion and internet.

Yea ok! TV is a luxury and nothing more. You do know that not everyone even owns a TV right? I am sure they are getting on with life just fine.

Television is a necessity in our society and the numbers back this up why are many of the newspapers and print media going out of business televsion and internet.

The internet has far more of a bearing as to why the newspaper, magazine, etc. industry isn't doing too great right now....

Yea ok! TV is a luxury and nothing more. You do know that not everyone even owns a TV right? I am sure they are getting on with life just fine.

Yeah, that's what I say....

TV a necessity... lol....

I mean, I don't see landlords getting penalized b/c there's no TELEVISION in one of their apartments !

The internet has far more of a bearing as to why the newspaper, magazine, etc. industry isn't doing too great right now....

I mean, I don't see landlords getting penalized b/c there's no TELEVISION in one of their apartments !

the internet has more of a bearing you say now if that is true when you go on a computer and to the internet are you not looking at a televison computer monitor and furthurmore that is a false statement this is why every major network owns a 24/7 news network

i dont see landlords getting penalized b/c there's no FOOD in one of their apartments and FOOD is a necessity isnt it

There is a difference between need and want. I'm sure that INDman wanted/wants his TV, not needed/needs it.

i want a ferrari dont need it so i dont have one ,most people buy what they need not what they want and people need televisions

i want a ferrari dont need it so i dont have one ,most people buy what they need not what they want and people need televisions
I wanted an Xbox 360 and a Plasma TV, I didn't need it but I got it cause I wanted it and could afford it aka a luxury.

the internet has more of a bearing you say now if that is true when you go on a computer and to the internet are you not looking at a televison computer monitor and furthurmore that is a false statement this is why every major network owns a 24/7 news network

I don't know what you were trying to convey with that, but.....

dude, the internet is loaded with things called webpages.... If you can view webpages freely (a lot of these companies that put out magazines & newspapers do have websites), why in the hell would people pay weekly/monthly/yearly subscriptions to hardcopies of mag's & 'papers when they can view the same information online for free....

This is the main reason why those industries aren't doing too great right now....

Newspaper & Magazine companies were alright when the internet wasn't as prevalent as it is now.... where were these concerns of those industries declining in the 80's? the 90's perhaps?

Nowhere to be found, that's where.

i dont see landlords getting penalized b/c there's no FOOD in one of their apartments and FOOD is a necessity isnt it

smfh....

yes, food is a necessity, genius.... If you don't eat, you starve to death...

What the hell happens to your health when you don't watch television ?

You know what, after that ridiculous comparison, I'm no longer taking this guy seriously anymore....

I don't know what you were trying to convey with that, but.....

dude, the internet is loaded with things called webpages.... If you can view webpages freely (a lot of these companies that put out magazines & newspapers do have websites), why in the hell would people pay weekly/monthly/yearly subscriptions to hardcopies of mag's & 'papers when they can view the same information online for free....

This is the main reason why those industries aren't doing too great right now....

Newspaper & Magazine companies were alright when the internet wasn't as prevalent as it is now.... where were these concerns of those industries declining in the 80's? the 90's perhaps?

Nowhere to be found, that's where.

smfh....

yes, food is a necessity, genius.... If you don't eat, you starve to death...

What the hell happens to your health when you don't watch television ?

You know what, after that ridiculous comparison, I'm no longer taking this guy seriously anymore....

do you personally own a television

I'm going to post seriously this time.

I could get rid of my cable TV (including the TV) and be just fine. I think I speak for a lot of people when I say that without internet I'd probably be very miserable. To compare food with a TV in terms of necessity...when you start needing to eat a television to keep your body sustained, then you can call it a necessity.

Archived