LIRR train stuck at height of blizzard '09

Shortline Bus

My only guess, and this is only a guess, is that they didn't want to leave people stranded with absolutely no way to get home. So, they ran the risk, but at least they could say they provided the service. Now it seems that it may have been better to not have run it, but now they know. Just my conjecture above.

My only guess, and this is only a guess, is that they didn't want to leave people stranded with absolutely no way to get home. So, they ran the risk, but at least they could say they provided the service. Now it seems that it may have been better to not have run it, but now they know. Just my conjecture above.

i know this is a major party weekend (right before christmas holiday)especially for young adults/college crowd(i assume was the majority of the riders on this trip)in Manhattan. However when LI is under blizzard warning could these people cancel going to nyc for maybe another night knowing in worst case their lives could be at risk riding this train?:tdown:

At least they were safe on the train. 10 people have spun out like 500 feet from my house since this morning on black ice getting stuck off the side of the road. Still though, if i had to be stuck somewhere during a blizzard, i'd pick a place with other people and a working bathroom, at least they got that!

- A

At least they were safe on the train. 10 people have spun out like 500 feet from my house since this morning on black ice getting stuck off the side of the road. Still though, if i had to be stuck somewhere during a blizzard, i'd pick a place with other people and a working bathroom, at least they got that!

- A

Agreed. If the (MTA) knew that the blizzard was coming and that they weren't going to be ready for it, they should have sent out buses as well.

Agreed. If the (MTA) knew that the blizzard was coming and that they weren't going to be ready for it, they should have sent out buses as well.

The buses could also be subject to an accident with 30-plus mph winds and snow falling at much as 2 inches an hour at height of bliizard early sunday morning on LI.

I still say LIRR could have suspened all of the train service to Suffolk County(center of the blizzard)until the storm was coming to close which was i heard on news was around 8-9am sunday morning. If airlines 'suspend' flights for the same reason why not the LIRR? Most of those passengers again i assume were partying in NYC were probably not in a hurry to get home and could imo have waited to run the train until the storm died down. A better argument to run this train at height of blizzard, was invoving a peak hour train with tired passengers coming home from Manhattan after long day at work.

Even then if conditions were dangerous with visability at or near '0' i would as an LIRR exce, would suspend trains in that case as well even on weekday rush hour.

If it a choice between waiting couple of hours at either NY-Penn Station, or the '3' big NYC area airports of JFK,Newark-Liberty or LGA, in a heartbeat i rather wait at penn. At least you wont be stuck paying $5.00 for snapple ice tea at the pa-owned airports.:mad:

Another case of failure to prepare means prepare to fail.

I agree with your statement 100 percent,:tup:

This was the first major winter storm of this season but this wasn't a blizzard folks,anyone remember 93' and 94' folks?

When i was growing up back in the early 80's,New York City and the sorrounding counties were hit with 5 to 15 feet of snow and would snow for at least 2 or 3 days straight,last actual blizzard occured in our area was 1994 and it was back to back storms too!

Transportation was indeed crippled and i remember buses and subways were at a stand still.

With greenhouse gas effects affecting our ozone layer and weather patterns changing,chances for an actual blizzard are slim

Anyone has a time machine to go back to 1983 and witness that blizzard ? :)

The National Weather Service did declare the storm to be a blizzard in Islip. They had sustained 39mph winds with 1/16 of a mile visibility for over 3 hours. The storm was very dynamic and parts of Suffolk were hit with 28 inches of snow combined with the wind your going to have significant sized snow drifts. That particular town in Suffolk received almost 3x the snow that was recored in Central Park.

The National Weather Service did declare the storm to be a blizzard in Islip. They had sustained 39mph winds with 1/16 of a mile visibility for over 3 hours. The storm was very dynamic and parts of Suffolk were hit with 28 inches of snow combined with the wind your going to have significant sized snow drifts. That particular town in Suffolk received almost 3x the snow that was recored in Central Park.

wow. this north'easter pre-xmas '09 storm depending on location was a blizzard. In most of Virgina, DC, Maryland and Cape Cod it was also declared a blizzard.

I agree with your statement 100 percent,:tup:

This was the first major winter storm of this season but this wasn't a blizzard folks,anyone remember 93' and 94' folks?

When i was growing up back in the early 80's,New York City and the sorrounding counties were hit with 5 to 15 feet of snow and would snow for at least 2 or 3 days straight,last actual blizzard occured in our area was 1994 and it was back to back storms too!

Transportation was indeed crippled and i remember buses and subways were at a stand still.

With greenhouse gas effects affecting our ozone layer and weather patterns changing,chances for an actual blizzard are slim

Anyone has a time machine to go back to 1983 and witness that blizzard ? :P

In a way you right. Actually the last major blizzard to directly hit NYC's 5 boroughs was in January 1996. Prior to storm Queens was under a blizzard warning but never received it. However, a huge nort'easter on President's Day weekend in 2003 which techincally was not a blizzard did create the most snowfall in NYC history on record from same storm of over 25 inches. http://www.weather.com

I would just like to point out a few things regarding these train situations. First, not all of the passengers were coming back from a drunken night in the city, and some people could not choose to "stay home" However, there were some passengers who had obviously had too many drinks, like the one that threw up all over our second train's only bathroom. My friend and I were on the 1:10 train trying to get to Mcarthur airport to return to California. Being our first time to the east coast/on the LIRR, the stopping of our first train was unsettling. Then, after being refused a seat on the only bus that was sent, after being told "buses" were on their way, we waited in a room for a while until our second train made it to Farmingdale. After we boarded and it seemed like we were going to get to our destination, the train stopped. Being in a cold train, unable to use the restroom, we waited in our seats with no information while a lovely man behind us snored the night away. I simply don't understand why a train would run in these kinds of conditions. I would have rather sat in Pen station for the entire night than deal with what we did on these trains. Ignorance is not bliss, and the MTA should reconsider their actions and how they will affect their passengers. Welcome to New York!

I would just like to point out a few things regarding these train situations. First, not all of the passengers were coming back from a drunken night in the city, and some people could not choose to "stay home" However, there were some passengers who had obviously had too many drinks, like the one that threw up all over our second train's only bathroom. My friend and I were on the 1:10 train trying to get to Mcarthur airport to return to California. Being our first time to the east coast/on the LIRR, the stopping of our first train was unsettling. Then, after being refused a seat on the only bus that was sent, after being told "buses" were on their way, we waited in a room for a while until our second train made it to Farmingdale. After we boarded and it seemed like we were going to get to our destination, the train stopped. Being in a cold train, unable to use the restroom, we waited in our seats with no information while a lovely man behind us snored the night away. I simply don't understand why a train would run in these kinds of conditions. I would have rather sat in Pen station for the entire night than deal with what we did on these trains. Ignorance is not bliss, and the MTA should reconsider their actions and how they will affect their passengers. Welcome to New York!

Thank You on what i been saying all over and not to mention a fatal derailment could have occured:mad: I am so sorry about your bad experience on the LIRR but in 'normal weather' LIRR is much better than that.

Off topic but suggestion for brand new. I am not promising they will do it, but brandnew why not call the LIRR 'customer service' and ask for full refund for your tickets? Being fair to LIRR management they would have been 'damned' if they cancelled' service and 'damned' in this situation no matter their decision to run trains. IMO a better 'compromise' would have been to cancel all service to/from Suffolk County on that sat night of the storm between 11pm-6am.

Archived