Can MTA make money from Cell/Net access?

bharat

After seeing a guy coding away furiously on the subway, I was wondering if the MTA might be able to make money like the airlines are - while also keeping users down to a tolerable number. See

http://eone.vox.com/library/post/dec-20-billable-on-the-subway.html

I am not aware of how the pilot to provide cell access is proceeding and what, if anything, is in it for mTA.

After seeing a guy coding away furiously on the subway, I was wondering if the MTA might be able to make money like the airlines are - while also keeping users down to a tolerable number. See

I am not aware of how the pilot to provide cell access is proceeding and what, if anything, is in it for mTA.

As far as whats in it for the MTA to have cell access - whatever cell companies that would provide service would have to pay the MTA to mount the antennas and such in the network.

if anything they should jam cell phone signals, especially on the LIRR, its annoying having to hear people yap about stupidity when im trying to get somewhere

As far as whats in it for the MTA to have cell access - whatever cell companies that would provide service would have to pay the MTA to mount the antennas and such in the network.

But in order to do that, the MTA will have to spend money, something they really don't have right now :)

But in order to do that, the MTA will have to spend money, something they really don't have right now :)

Yes but the cell companies will be paying them to put them up, and then paying rent on each transmitter monthly.

That's how it always works, the cell company pays for it all, and its usually like $100 a month + reimbursement on costs for maintenance on each transmitter after they're up. And with the amount of transmitters you'd need to cover the udnerground portions of the system, well there's going to be 10's of thousands of transmitters at least! Do the math - millions of dollars a month once its all running!

Yes but the cell companies will be paying them to put them up, and then paying rent on each transmitter monthly.

That's how it always works, the cell company pays for it all, and its usually like $100 a month + reimbursement on costs for maintenance on each transmitter after they're up. And with the amount of transmitters you'd need to cover the udnerground portions of the system, well there's going to be 10's of thousands of transmitters at least! Do the math - millions of dollars a month once its all running!

Okay, I'd like to see how this'll work. If you ask me, installing Wi-Fi underground should be another top priority. I get bored very easily and I'd like to surf the web while waiting for the train.

"If you ask me, installing Wi-Fi underground should be another top priority. I get bored very easily and I'd like to surf the web while waiting for the train."

Question is - will you pay to surf like when you sign up for boingo or whatever at an airport?

" #7 Yesterday, 05:23 PM

fishmech

Transit System(s):

Subway Car(s):

Bus Model(s):

Commuter Rail(s):

Commuter Rail Car(s):

Locomotive(s):

Statistics

Gallery: 0

Referrals: 0

Quote:

Originally Posted by lrg5784

But in order to do that, the MTA will have to spend money, something they really don't have right now

Yes but the cell companies will be paying them to put them up, and then paying rent on each transmitter monthly".

Agreed. But the more lucrative revenue stream would be from a steadily growing number of wi-fi and cellphone users who cannot do without these underground and are willing to pay. That should also minimize mindless yapping and sharp elbowing.

Imagine a separate MetroCard swipe point in every station where you can pay for 2-hour, 1-day, 7-day, 14-day, or 30-day Wi-Fi access in the subway (and perhaps in SelectBuses and Express Buses?).

Swipe the pay-per-ride card, or special unlimited travel + wifi cards, and the machine pops up a code or prints out a ticket with info you fill in when you connect to the wifi on your device!

Archived