Double Decker Buses?

exseed

Er, hello, I'm about to end this and be straight forward.

Double decker won't work for the MTA, period (in local terms). Its obvious reasons too, dwell times, clearance issues. The MTA is just too lazy to even attempt to fix for all that.

On the express runs for the routes from SI via NJ, maybe. Needed? No.

Of course there are limitations, it should work that has high riderhip, without clearance issues along the route and it's ridership draw effect. Perfect example...

All of the Manhattan Fifth Avenue/Madison Avenue bus route, M15 and other routes as well. MTA did not have the time to fully evaluated into further on purchasing the double decker due to budget issues right now. I am sure in the future they would look in to it.

Er, hello, I'm about to end this and be straight forward.

Double decker won't work for the MTA, period (in local terms). Its obvious reasons too, dwell times, clearance issues. The MTA is just too lazy to even attempt to fix for all that.

On the express runs for the routes from SI via NJ, maybe. Needed? No.

*Clicks imaginary Thanks button*!

Those traffic lights seem to be pretty easy to adjust. If I'm not mistaken, the curving pole is not rigidly connected to the vertical pole, but rather, hinged to the vertical pole. All they would need to do is shorten the tension wires.

• 4 months later...

I think that they should be considered on the X17J, X22, and X30, as they have a lot of passengers and the X17J has a fairly high frequency, so the frequency could be reduced slightly if they used these buses.

By the way, I also found these articles written back in 2008 in case anybody is interested:

secondavenuesagas.com/page/128

http://secondavenuesagas.com/2008/09/09/toto-i-have-a-feeling-were-not-in-london-anymore/

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2008/09/08/2008-09-08_nyc_transit_to_test_bilevel_bus_would_be.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2008/09/11/2008-09-11_doubledecker_buses_make_commuters_feel_l.html

When I took double decker bus offered by Big Taxi Tour for first time, it took time.

Everytime when I am at MET, both CitySight NY and Grayline takes longer to unload/load, especially with taxi blocking bus stop.

When I was on MegaBus M22 Boston, after bus took break somewhere in Mass, it took few moment before everyone who was on bus is back on.

I think that they should be considered on the X17J, X22, and X30, as they have a lot of passengers and the X17J has a fairly high frequency, so the frequency could be reduced slightly if they used these buses.

By the way, I also found these articles written back in 2008 in case anybody is interested:

secondavenuesagas.com/page/128

http://secondavenuesagas.com/2008/09/09/toto-i-have-a-feeling-were-not-in-london-anymore/

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/2008/09/08/2008-09-08_nyc_transit_to_test_bilevel_bus_would_be.html

http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/2008/09/11/2008-09-11_doubledecker_buses_make_commuters_feel_l.html

Here is the problem though: No tunnel except for the Lincoln Tunnel is designed to handle them, and then only the TD925 Astromega. In addition, only a handful of MTA garages can fit them

Because of interlining of services, only a select few runs could get them. As such, it was a bad concept then, and is a bad concept now.

If anything, the MTA should be looking at LFS single-door suburbans to replace MCIs.

While double-deckers could be beneficial on a few routes, they have many drawbacks. Besides clearance issues, a big problem is the stairs. Many people choose a bus over a train where they have that choice, specifically so they wouldn't have to climb stairs.

While good for sightseeing, one also has to realize that a double decker will have the same drawdack as a two door articulated bus in that two doors severely slows it down when the bus gets very crowded.

They also should only be used on routes where the average trip length is long like about five miles, not on a typical route where the average trip length is slightly above two miles.

What gets me is that they don't mind introducing a new bus type so they can run fewer buses, but will use that use that as an excuse when you ask them about using smaller buses on routes with low volume.

Leyland, that bus company got swallow up by Volvo Bus. Nova bus in North America is a parent company of Volvo bus.

Ah, yes, the Leyland buses. There were 8 buses in all, numbered D1-D8. Four of them were painted in the Transit two-tone blue paint scheme, while the other four were red, white, and blue.

The buses were initially assigned to the 132nd Street Depot for use on the M4 and M5 routes. However, they quickly fell into disrepair because the OA's Irish-born maintainers refused to touch British-made buses. They ended their NYC careers at 146th Street Depot on the M1 before being sold to Grey Line of San Francisco.

Speaking of Double-Decker, do you know what happened to old Sightseeing Tour Bus, Big Apple Tour that use have boarding on left side (just like in Japan.)

You're talking about New York Apple Tours. Those were Bristol VRs; they got scrapped not long after they got taken over by Gray Line New York when it was fully owned by Stagecoach.

Gray Line NY as recently as last year had Leylands from 1986.

Here is the problem though: No tunnel except for the Lincoln Tunnel is designed to handle them, and then only the TD925 Astromega. In addition, only a handful of MTA garages can fit them

Because of interlining of services, only a select few runs could get them. As such, it was a bad concept then, and is a bad concept now.

If anything, the MTA should be looking at LFS single-door suburbans to replace MCIs.

Could you describe or give a picture of the LFS single-door suburban bus type? I'm not really good with bus types.

I see what you are saying, since the X17J runs peak-direction only, all of those buses would have to deadhead back to the depot. The only route that could seriously be considered would be the BxM3, since it runs both directions (It was one of the routes that they tested intitially).

Could you describe or give a picture of the LFS single-door suburban bus type? I'm not really good with bus types.

Stock photos....

Exterior, no rear doors

LeRich2561.JPG

Interior, trying to fit more seats in.

2712764174_98f078deec.jpg?v=0

It would be better to get not a low floor bus but a standard floor like Orion V that has more seats then the low floor.

Archived