Students Protest Proposed MetroCard Cuts

mark1447

Pfft. That's like my mom saying back when I went to a Catholic school, "Don't go" because it's too much money. The upcoming generation needs to know that life doesn't work for you. YOU have to make it work.

On the other note, your math is wrong. For public school students, there's only 180 days of school. At the current fares, that comes out to $810 a year. Sounds like a burden? - There are ways to cut down on the price. - Besides farebeating.

I'm a student too. I have to cough up a 30-60 min journey home each night. Despite the fact that I have a full fare Metrocard, I have a lot of spare Metrocards and money on me at all times in case anything goes wrong. I don't want to use the money that I get allocated each week on fares, so I save them for when the occasion arises. If these generation of kids used their brains for once (not pointing out the ones who actually do), all you have to do is get a job, budget your money and find alternatives. But, I guess they're becoming too lazy for that too.

Thank you and that's the problem that will plague all of these kids who are complaining about it. Nobody wanted the fare hike how many times, how many years ago to happen. Guess what? It did and we adapt and got over it. We can do the same here.

If the kid can go a whole year without stuff like an Ipod, xbox360, or whatever, that'll be ways to pay off the money to go to school.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not gonna win this lol...I just see this as another way to bash kids from my generation...From everyones' perspective we're all criminally-minded idiots with no real future looking up to the sky for handouts all our life....and just see school metrocards as a means of free transportation...and their generation was the best of all generations before and after it lol<sarcasm>

Contrary to popular belief were not all bad...I mean what bad can I take being a photographer for fun? While most of the kids in my school have smoking sessions and fighting eachother for no real reason and having kids for entertainment.

w/e they decide to do I guess I'll just take it in stride and save up my small change for unlimiteds every month lol

I'm not gonna win this lol...I just see this as another way to bash kids from my generation...From everyones' perspective we're all criminally-minded idiots with no real future looking up to the sky for handouts all our life....and just see school metrocards as a means of free transportation...and their generation was the best of all generations before and after it lol<sarcasm>

Contrary to popular belief were not all bad...I mean what bad can I take being a photographer for fun? While most of the kids in my school have smoking sessions and fighting eachother for no real reason and having kids for entertainment.

w/e they decide to do I guess I'll just take it in stride and save up my small change for unlimiteds every month lol

Of course, not everyone is the same. It's just the majority of kids your age and younger that engage in such dangerous behavior... You do your thing and stand out from the rest of them, make something out of yourself and go places!

It's amazing the elitists responses I'm seeing. People forget that they were once in high school. My neighborhood high school sucks. That's why I went to Brooklyn Tech (should've gone to Bronx Science but that's another story). The MTA is depriving kids of a decent education.

Our schools shouldn't be sucking, we should be trying to IMPROVE them so that this kind of thing doesn't have to happen!!

HAHAHAHAHA the culture of complaint has come full circle...

Also worth noting when TA workers have a day of outrage they are villified

When self entitled students have a day of outrage they are glorified

The double standards in this country are beyond repair.

Once again, it's not the MTA's fault. The city/state is cutting fund that it provided to the MTA to cover the cost of issuing student metrocards.

Thats what i think too , but people dont realize it, they will keep blaming MTA because its easier

It's amazing the elitists responses I'm seeing. People forget that they were once in high school. My neighborhood high school sucks. That's why I went to Brooklyn Tech (should've gone to Bronx Science but that's another story). The MTA is depriving kids of a decent education.
We aren't being elitist. The "my local HS sucks" is just an BS excuse. If you want to succeed and care about your studies, you'll do so regardless of where it was. I went to ACORN Community HS and it was a crappy school, half my classmates were morons but those that wanted to succeed did so and went onto college. Some of them even went on to Ivy League schools. I finished my studies and got a job with the Dept of Education which I've had for the past 6 years and I didn't go to Brooklyn Tech or Stuyvesant. If you REALLY care about your education will you will do what you can to get your education and succeed. The MTA is not depriving anyone anything. The state and city politicians are. People ask so much from the MTA but when it comes to put their money where their mouths are and accept higher fares, they all balk.

Our schools shouldn't be sucking, we should be trying to IMPROVE them so that this kind of thing doesn't have to happen!!

It all begins with decent parenting. Maybe parents should be more stricter on kids than to let them be 'buddies' or 'appease' their kids. That's what's wrong here, the parents aren't being enforcers to teach their kids basic lessons in decency.

Elitists? You're the one that prefers cutting local bus and subway service but none for the express buses. You are hardly the one to call anyone else an elitist.

Again, the MTA is a STATE agency and with the state broke, they are expecting the city to pay for its own citizens. Nothing 'elitist' about that.

"Oh just let those hoodlums walk so I can have peace and quiet"

Someone who lives in Canarsie should be able to take the bus or train to go to Midwood. He shouldn't have to attend Canarsie High School just because it's the nearest school. My neighborhood school had metal detectors and a police car outside. The school I attended was ranked #63 out of thousands of schools in the nation. Education is a basic right for all American citizens.

Someone who lives in Canarsie should be able to take the bus or train to go to Midwood. He shouldn't have to attend Canarsie High School just because it's the nearest school. My neighborhood school had metal detectors and a police car outside. The school I attended was ranked #63 out of thousands of schools in the nation. Education is a basic right for all American citizens.

Canarsie HS hasn't be in my office in a while for a Superintendent Suspension case yet Midwood HS is a frequent flier in our office. Nice try.:tup:

So where in the Constitution or Bill of Rights does it say that? Education did not become important in this country till the 20th Century because America was a country of farmers and industrial workers. Get you facts at least half right before you start with this nonsense.

So where in the Constitution or Bill of Rights does it say that? Education did not become important in this country till the 20th Century because America was a country of farmers and industrial workers. Get you facts at least half right before you start with this nonsense.

Everyone loves to start talking about their "rights", when in fact "rights" don't really exist.

Amazing too, that America was more successful back then when people just did what they needed to do instead of complaining about everything and pandering to the media and sensationalists everywhere.

Amazing too, that America was more successful back then when people just did what they needed to do instead of complaining about everything and pandering to the media and sensationalists everywhere.

Look how lazy we've become... I stayed at my zoned high school because I didn't want to travel any further. Even though the school had a 40-50% graduation rate I still passed!!

Look how lazy we've become... I stayed at my zoned high school because I didn't want to travel any further. Even though the school had a 40-50% graduation rate I still passed!!

Graduation rates are meaningless in the context of the individual student. Statistically speaking, each graduation is an independent event. Think of it in terms of a dice...whether you roll a 1 or a 6 does not affect the outcome of the next roll.

Hahaha! Elitists...you don't know what an elitist is at all. The people who have posted here against you are people who don't have the habit of making excuses (and lame ones at that) to prevent themselves from achieving what they want.

Try living in someplace where you need a car to go everywhere...you gonna say that the auto industry should provide cars for free so you can get to school? You want free education? Apply for a scholarship! You want to be able to afford to get on the friggin train and get to school. Get a job and make it affordable.

At age 10-14 you may not be able to work for a company but there's ways for kids to make money. I babysat people's kids, took care of an elder's pet while they were on vacation. But in my high school there kids in my sophomore year of class working jobs after they got a work permit. That's pathetic expecting someone to hand you something you should be earning in the first place.

It ain't easy to sit in class, listen to all those teachers, do all that schoolwork and pass those tests. If you're not even willing to put effort to get there without a handicap, I damn sure can't see you putting forth the effort once you're in a school. Elitist my a$$.

Graduation rates are meaningless in the context of the individual student. Statistically speaking, each graduation is an independent event. Think of it in terms of a dice...whether you roll a 1 or a 6 does not affect the outcome of the next roll.

During the fall of 1998 I busted my @ss studying for the specialized high school exam. I studied till I had migraines. I even took a prep course (which didn't help). When I took the exam there were busloads of students at the testing site. It was a 3 hour marathon. Out of 20,000 students who took the exam only 3,000 got into one of the three specialized high schools. After all of the hard work I put in why should I be penalized for not living in Tribeca, Bedford Park, or Fort Greene?

Townsend Harris and John Bowne High School are only a few blocks apart but those schools are radically different academically. A few months ago someone got shot near Campus Magnet (one of the schools in my area). Years ago there was a near-riot at Springfield Gardens High (another local school). Affluent families can afford to spend money on Metrocards. Lower middle class families don't have the same option. This will only lead to more polarization. I wish people would think before they posted.

We aren't being elitist. The "my local HS sucks" is just an BS excuse. If you want to succeed and care about your studies, you'll do so regardless of where it was.

Exactly. I go to Campus Magnet. It's a bad ass school. So what? I'm on the track team and on the honor society. Instead of calling on other people to make a particular school better, why don't you get the students to change first?

Exactly. I go to Campus Magnet. It's a bad ass school. So what? I'm on the track team and on the honor society. Instead of calling on other people to make a particular school better, why don't you get the students to change first?

EXACTLY!!! All these mindless little brats need to step it up!!! I look back at my teenybopper days and I shake my head at the stuff we used to do!!

During the fall of 1998 I busted my @ss studying for the specialized high school exam. I studied till I had migraines. I even took a prep course (which didn't help). When I took the exam there were busloads of students at the testing site. It was a 3 hour marathon. Out of 20,000 students who took the exam only 3,000 got into one of the three specialized high schools. After all of the hard work I put in why should I be penalized for not living in Tribeca, Bedford Park, or Fort Greene?

Townsend Harris and John Bowne High School are only a few blocks apart but those schools are radically different academically. A few months ago someone got shot near Campus Magnet (one of the schools in my area). Years ago there was a near-riot at Springfield Gardens High (another local school). Affluent families can afford to spend money on Metrocards. Lower middle class families don't have the same option. This will only lead to more polarization. I wish people would think before they posted.

Answer me this, what were all these students doing before the advent of a Student MetroCard? Staying at home not going to school? I wish people would work hard for what they want instead of whining and asking things to be done for them. It's all about sacrifice.

Archived