Students Protest Proposed MetroCard Cuts

mark1447

Has a Yankees Special (4) train ever bothered you with the commotion from the peeps?

When I am on the (4) line here, and those kids get out of Dewitt Clinton H.S., and on my train, the noise just starts. Instead of talking about school work, they are talking about who disrespected them, and how they want to do this and that, and all I want to do, is tell them to shut the F*&K up, and want to put my foot in their asses. Lucking most go to Fordham Rd, and Burnside, then the peace n quiet starts. Alot of them hang by the emergency gates, so when one exits using the gates, instead of the turnstiles, they sneak in. I know they are kids, but I was raised not to show off, and want to be seen. Believe me it's the parents that are upset, and who need to take up the issue with the city and state lawmakers. The rest of the riding public, is possibly praying to God, Allah, Ganesh, Buddah, etc....., for those kids to have to pay, so they can have a quieter commute.........

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Exactly..hes probably someone who lives like a few blocks from his school and doesn't care about the ones who don't lol.

I have to take the train to school. It's more than 3 or 4 miles away from my house. But I really don't mind paying the fare and helping the MTA out with their budget if it will serve me good in the future.

Regardless of whether student metrocards should be offered to students or not, I like how Mayor Bloomberg was promising all of these improvements to the (MTA) prior to his election, complete with him appealing to us saying that he would help the middle class. Election comes and passes, and he's not doing anything right now to help us. I'll be writing my local congressman (thanks for the link Julio).

Regardless of whether student metrocards should be offered to students or not, I like how Mayor Bloomberg was promising all of these improvements to the (MTA) prior to his election, complete with him appealing to us saying that he would help the middle class. Election comes and passes, and he's not doing anything right now to help us. I'll be writing my local congressman (thanks for the link Julio).

LOL like I said and many here at the time disputed me when I said it...he'd buy your votes, promise all this stuff, and then do NOTHING if he got re-elected! Now you are all seeing it!

R32 I hope you remember all this going on so that when you are old enough to vote in the NEXT election when he tries to do it again you vote him out!

+1 man! Boombag the devil himself promises stuff and its like nothing happened.. For that Thompson should of came in here..

On this forum, when i had Adblock on my Firefox turned off, I saw some ad about Bloomberg improving the Transportation System.. Now what the hell is he doing?!

I saw some ad about Bloomberg improving the Transportation System.. Now what the hell is he doing?!

Getting all the minorities riled up about losing their metrocards so that the TA can give them back and Bloomberg can take credit for it and say hes helping the lower class....nah jk idk but it sounds logical lol but yeah Bloomberg imo is full of shit nuff said

Bloomburg could have spent his millions on helping the city by helping (MTA) but he wasted that money on a 3rd term to run for mayor. He should have never been elected.:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

He's not happy about the Student Metrocard cut either...

Stop balming Bloomberg! He is helping the Transit System by playing an extra $4.00 a day. Blame the State. Blame the Government at Washington D.C., they are making all the pain. What Health Care? What Stimulus? Fund your detierorating infrastructure America, fund it! I don't care about Health Care now, I care about Making our Roads, Rails, Bridges, Tunnels, Airports, Metro-Transportation more affordable, efficient, safe and in a state-of-good repair! Why tell Bloomberg to pay from his wallet? He already spent many on his mayoral run! Washington is run by Democrats who suck currently, they literally suck! Not letting GOP put inputs, forcing laws and reforms when citizens don't want them and making outrageous spending. WAKE UP AMERICA, WAKE UP!!!

That is the most unbelievably ignorant post I have read in a very long time and shows a clear lack of understanding of all of the problems of our country and city.

Citizens want IMPROVEMENTS to their lives, and neither party is delivering anything, so the citizens will continue to blame the politicians who create an atmosphere where it is convenient to do absolutely nothing. Including Bloomberg, who spent all his money getting re-elected illegally on the promise of "tackling the MTA" and who has done nothing to drive efficiency from them. He has fought efforts to make them subject to more oversight. He has refused to come up with reasonable solutions other than his personal agenda of "congestion pricing" to pay for anything.

And what Democrats do in Washington has nothing to do with how Bloomberg has used the MTA as a political football for the last decade.

You know I bet Bloombag just spent all his money on lies just to get back at his office at City Hall. While people believed his a$$ on making changes. He should be kicked out of office that crappy mayor..

Thompson FTW!!!

BTW If students are against the Metroscard cuts, how about start riding the School bus and QUIT COMPLAINING!!

im reading throughout this thread basically saying let these kids walk or pay to go to school. Whats wrong with some of you?? Do you know there are students out there who depend on these passes to get what they want...an education?? And the majority of you are sayin how your commute would be much quieter. I can too honestly say, kids get rowdy on the train and bus, but be honest, so did we!!!!! i was one of those students who traveled from Rockaway to east midtown's A&D HS. I wanted to go. but yeah, when me and my friends traveled, we were loud! We were kids! thats what kids do! Parents during these times cant even barely afford the roof over their heads. And if its difficult to find work as an adult, imagine for a teen. "Get a job! ive been working since i was 15". Thats good for you. I wasnt allowed to work till my senior year! There are some strict parents out there like that. Who's to say that everyone has the same opportunities. And some jobs dont care about their employees having other responabilities like class. These passes were created to help increase students chances to get to school, and excell. Just because they act up while commuting, doesnt mean they arent straight A students either. this type of stereotyping IMO is F'ed up for real. "Its a privileged, not a right...", so we dont have a right to get an education in the facility of our choice whether it be for certain studies or safety reasons??? this thread is honestly making me sick. It doesnt matter who directly need to be blamed for the proposed cut in student passes, Someone has to do something, and even if pressure is put on one factor, the voices will be heard to all, the MTA, DOE, City Hall, etc. Kids out in the streets because they and there parents cant afford travel, if you think about it, would make your loud commutes worse. itll go from the transit system during morning and early afternoon rush hours, to all the time on the streets.

remember, some of you would not be doing what you may do if you couldnt afford to go to school. Me included. Not all schools have a school bus available. so if they have no alternative other that MTA service, then complain!

Thats just my 2+ cents

Stop balming Bloomberg! He is helping the Transit System by playing an extra $4.00 a day. Blame the State. Blame the Government at Washington D.C., they are making all the pain. What Health Care? What Stimulus? Fund your detierorating infrastructure America, fund it! I don't care about Health Care now, I care about Making our Roads, Rails, Bridges, Tunnels, Airports, Metro-Transportation more affordable, efficient, safe and in a state-of-good repair! Why tell Bloomberg to pay from his wallet? He already spent many on his mayoral run! Washington is run by Democrats who suck currently, they literally suck! Not letting GOP put inputs, forcing laws and reforms when citizens don't want them and making outrageous spending. WAKE UP AMERICA, WAKE UP!!!

I must agree with you there.

You know I bet Bloombag just spent all his money on lies just to get back at his office at City Hall. While people believed his a$$ on making changes. He should be kicked out of office that crappy mayor..

Thompson FTW!!!

BTW If students are against the Metroscard cuts, how about start riding the School bus and QUIT COMPLAINING!!

I don't think high schools even have buses.

im reading throughout this thread basically saying let these kids walk or pay to go to school. Whats wrong with some of you?? Do you know there are students out there who depend on these passes to get what they want...an education?? And the majority of you are sayin how your commute would be much quieter. I can too honestly say, kids get rowdy on the train and bus, but be honest, so did we!!!!! i was one of those students who traveled from Rockaway to east midtown's A&D HS. I wanted to go. but yeah, when me and my friends traveled, we were loud! We were kids! thats what kids do! Parents during these times cant even barely afford the roof over their heads. And if its difficult to find work as an adult, imagine for a teen. "Get a job! ive been working since i was 15". Thats good for you. I wasnt allowed to work till my senior year! There are some strict parents out there like that. Who's to say that everyone has the same opportunities. And some jobs dont care about their employees having other responabilities like class. These passes were created to help increase students chances to get to school, and excell. Just because they act up while commuting, doesnt mean they arent straight A students either. this type of stereotyping IMO is F'ed up for real. "Its a privileged, not a right...", so we dont have a right to get an education in the facility of our choice whether it be for certain studies or safety reasons??? this thread is honestly making me sick. It doesnt matter who directly need to be blamed for the proposed cut in student passes, Someone has to do something, and even if pressure is put on one factor, the voices will be heard to all, the MTA, DOE, City Hall, etc. Kids out in the streets because they and there parents cant afford travel, if you think about it, would make your loud commutes worse. itll go from the transit system during morning and early afternoon rush hours, to all the time on the streets.

remember, some of you would not be doing what you may do if you couldnt afford to go to school. Me included. Not all schools have a school bus available. so if they have no alternative other that MTA service, then complain!

Thats just my 2+ cents

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!

B) wow...i can't believe the amount of stupid that just came outta you.

Blame the government for how the MTA does things?

Some of us already are blaming the state for whats going on.

Why tell Bloomberg to pay from his wallet? He had no friggin problem payin from his pocket to get his a$$ back in the mayoral seat. And now we expect him to do the job right. How dare us expect that of him! Wow we have some real nerve don't we? :P

Repugs had their way for the last 8 years and look where we are now. It's the Democrats now that have to attempt to clean this up. STFU about it and move on. All the Repugs have done lately is act like kids who won't do anything unless they can have it their way. Keepin that ridiculous senator and the former Eskimo governor in the lime light when their fame is well past over.

And before you get down my throat about me being liberal; I'm actually very much independent in terms of who I vote for. I listened to both sides of the campaigns. I sat undecided till the three debates came along. I tried to find a very good reason to like the republican candidates. I really did; that included doing some research I really did not care to do. I could not find a single reason to like them.

You don't care about health care? I hope you can pay your medical bills should you get sick without selling your possessions or falling grands into debt.

As far as this student metrocard thing goes. My opinion sits because when I was goin to public school I was going to Bushwick from the rockaways to attend. Didn't see any student metrocards back then. My family was very poor and my grandmother had to quit her job because of an injury. She put out the sacrifices to make sure I could still attend despite the fact money didn't grow on trees. Who in gods name are half of you to throw that fact in our faces as if we are stupid enough not to know that?

Some of your relatives have lived during the great depression. Ask them how they got through it. Some of your parents have been through recessions before. Ask them if they got through it relying on handouts. Please, I understand that it might be more difficult for you guys to make it to school after the student card gets cut (if it even does). But don't insult my intelligence by using it as a copout excuse like it'll be impossible to go after its gone. Because it won't. You'll adjust if it happens, just like the rest of us adjust after several fare hikes. We don't like it but you don't see us using it as an excuse not to get work, run our errands, or continue our ways of life.

was that really necessary?

lets not turn this into a republicans 'are stupid' vs. liberals 'do their homework' blame game debate. THAT would be stupid.

I don't intend to...I dipped into his response...came out and got back on topic. How it comes off to anyone else I really don't care. But I know this guy knows better than this. So it's the same response I'd have given him if he said it in person.

Back to topic. This may seem like a dumb question but similar to getting 'free' or full price school lunches, or finanicial aide for college what about using the families income to determine if the student should get 'free' reduced fare' or full fare metrocards?

I do agree that the city and state of new york should pay more. Or be willing to pay for school buses especially for high school kids.

Here reasons why i think family income should be a main factor on metrocards. For example, IMO If a kid that comes from a family that is on 'government aide' and lives near a high school that crappy with school and low graduation rates, wants to attend a pretigious HS in another part of the city they should be given a chance. at same time, i was watching Ch. 11 Morning Weathercaster Linda Church being interviewed on the PIX 6pm and expressing her angry that would take away her 'reduced fare' metrocard for her son. I am sure Ms. Church makes at least $500,000 or more a year at Ch.11 and IMO should be paying full fare.

There room for compromise imo and guys is this idea of family income be a factor in who gets metrocards?

They should give low-income families free cards, upper low class-lower middle class half fare cards, and others like 3/4 fare cards.

Talk about an idea that will never happen. The MTA cries broke all the time. Even if they do have money. You really think they're gonna care about anyone else's income? They don't seem to care about it right now as is.

Archived