Students Protest Proposed MetroCard Cuts

mark1447

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the problem. It's an everybody feels entitled to everything all the time problem. No one knows how to take care of themselves anymore and it's pathetic. Does mommy still clean your diapers for you? Eventually you learn to take care of yourself and not need them (or diapers)...and that's part of becoming and being a responsible adult.

As for the politics of it, it is not a democrat vs. republican thing and that is all that people seem to be able to see it as. It's a politicians/rich guys vs. everybody else thing, only it's inconvenient to see it that way, and people just can't seem to BELIEVE that in the 21st century this type of backwards ass crap is still possible, but it very much is.

A good education is one of the few things we actually ARE entitled to.

No, you're not. You are entitled to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness. If education makes you happy, pursue it. No one is telling you that you can't. Just stop expecting people and your government to give you handouts. Remember you are entitled to the pursuit of happiness, not an easy pursuit of happiness.

Well, what if it's a choice of a Metrocard or food on the table? I doubt people are going to STARVE just to go to a good school.

Again, that argument is straight BS. I'm not going to dive in it again. If not for the metrocard reason, they'd be ditchin school for somethin else (for those of you who are planning to go that route). For those who are less fortunate....the long term goal is more important to them than the here and now. So they will make those sacrifices in the hopes it will pay off in the long run. And I seriously doubt anyone here would seriously be faced with that decision.

Well, what if it's a choice of a Metrocard or food on the table? I doubt people are going to STARVE just to go to a good school.

Then those people should give up unneeded luxuries, such as a more expensive cable package, their XBOX live subscription, a fancy cell phone service, eating lunches out (instead of bringing), or other things that people feel "entitled" to as well these days, and use that money to pay for their travel to and from school.

Or find work. Employers love high school students as employees because they are willing to work off the books, because they are still covered under their parents' health insurance policies (or a government one in many cases for disadvantaged kids) so the employer does not need to provide benefits, they are willing to work for less than minimum wage, and they are eager to impress on their first couple of jobs so they do what they are told, and they only want to work a handful of hours a week so hiring one does not subject the employer to paying the kid for 40 hours a week.

Then those people should give up unneeded luxuries, such as a more expensive cable package, their XBOX live subscription, a fancy cell phone service, or other things that people feel "entitled" to as well these days, and use that money to pay for their travel to and from school.

LOL I don't even think I'm needed in this thread. I should just watch you go and applaud.

Then those people should give up unneeded luxuries, such as a more expensive cable package, their XBOX live subscription, a fancy cell phone service, eating lunches out (instead of bringing), or other things that people feel "entitled" to as well these days, and use that money to pay for their travel to and from school.

But SubwayGuy, you know that happiness is a NYCHA-owned address, a playstation in every room, and a welfare check in the mail.

But SubwayGuy, you know that happiness is a NYCHA-owned address, a playstation in every room, and a welfare check in the mail.

And a spot on a reality TV show where one's fistpumping is subsidized by MTV, and the leftover is used to pay off the alimony.

The American dream really has changed in the last 25 years.

"It's called the American Dream because you have to be asleep to believe it." - George Carlin

I wouldn't even call it a dream nowadays...more like the American Hand-Out. Everyone expects a god damn hand-out.

Heh...so where's MY handout? Ah that's right I'm middle class we get nothing. The backbone of America gets nothing, everybody else gets something. Imagine that.

And they wonder why the economy is in the shitter. The backbone of America gets nothing, the rich get a lot, and a lot of people at the bottom who abuse things get a lot just so they can be held to some imaginary "acceptable" standard and go no further.

Those who want to make something happen will make it happen. Those who do not truly want to make something happen will find an excuse to say it's too hard. If it's not the lack of free Metrocards making it too hard, it would be physics class, it would be the SAT, it would be the Regents, it would be SOMETHING. People love to complain, they hate to do something that will make their situation improve because that requires them to actually do something. It's called "problem solving" and no one knows how to do it anymore, which is perhaps why our government is in the mess it is, because it can't fix it's own problems, and the majority of America expects the government to fix THEIR problems too. Imagine that.

I am completely backing you up. Getting a month card every month is going to take a big toll on most people's income. Especially those kids who are less fortunate.

What are you going to do with those kids who ACTUALLY CARE about their education. Zoned schools usually aren't the best schools and I'm sure people who are gifted enough to be accepted to another better school which might be farther away need their Student MetroCard.

Most of the people against this idea are either rich or adults who no longer need the MetroCards and can AFFORD TO PAY FOR THEIR TRANSPORTATION.

Getting jobs in this economy is like knocking a door with nobody inside it. Especially towards minors. Plus, most students affected cannot get jobs at their age and what are you going to do with them? Encourage jumping the subway?

I am completely backing you up. Getting a month card every month is going to take a big toll on most people's income. Especially those kids who are less fortunate.

What are you going to do with those kids who ACTUALLY CARE about their education. Zoned schools usually aren't the best schools and I'm sure people who are gifted enough to be accepted to another better school which might be farther away need their Student MetroCard.

Most of the people against this idea are either rich or adults who no longer need the MetroCards and can AFFORD TO PAY FOR THEIR TRANSPORTATION.

Getting jobs in this economy is like knocking a door with nobody inside it. Especially towards minors. Plus, most students affected cannot get jobs at their age and what are you going to do with them? Encourage jumping the subway?

Where's a thank-you button when you need one:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Archived