V train finds its identity after six years

Trainspotter

Six years after the V train went into service, many straphangers remain unimpressed, roasting its much-maligned local service.

But the V line, amNewYork found in interviews recently, has attracted its share of admirers, who happily trade speed for a guaranteed seat.

The V line began running on Dec. 17, 2001, from Forest Hills, Queens to Second Avenue, Manhattan to relieve the crowded E and F lines. But plenty of riders are content to keep cramming into the E and F trains, and the V remains the emptiest train -- at 49 percent capacity -- during peak hours in the transit system. The E, meanwhile, is still bursting with riders during those hours.

Full story: amny_logo.gif icon_offsite.png - December 30, 2007

But either way, if the (V) keeps up with the (F) on the Queens Blvd line, it can catch up or get right ahead of the (F)! And this happens alot, where an (F) and (V) leaves the Forest Hills stop at the same time and then (V) ends up behind the (F) because the 63rd Street line slows down the (F) and the (V) races on the 53rd Street line.

I do not understand why people call the V pointless and continue to cram themselves into the E train. It only takes 5 minutes extra on the Queens Boulevard line (based in firsthand experience) and you're guaranteed a seat. A lot of people don't take it because it's a local...I mean come on! It's only 10 more minutes if you get on at Forest Hills and compare that to the E train!

It's not even the fact that the V doesn't go where people want it to go. It services Lexington Avenue - 53rd Street, and basically at least a fifth of the people inside the E train get off there. (Of course, more people get on but you get my point!)

I do not understand why people call the V pointless and continue to cram themselves into the E train. It only takes 5 minutes extra on the Queens Boulevard line (based in firsthand experience) and you're guaranteed a seat. A lot of people don't take it because it's a local...I mean come on! It's only 10 more minutes if you get on at Forest Hills and compare that to the E train!

It's not even the fact that the V doesn't go where people want it to go. It services Lexington Avenue - 53rd Street, and basically at least a fifth of the people inside the E train get off there. (Of course, more people get on but you get my point!)

Because that's they way people are. Get up 15 min earlier to get that V train and a nearly guaranteed seat. No to hard to do. But still they rather take the sardine packed express ride, and then complain about a train that basically goes the same way as an empty local.

The (V) was pointless at first and still looks pointless to many. But its pretty good sometimes. Once it goes south 2nd Ave one of these days, then pppl will appreciate it alot more.

Very True Pablo. If and when the (V) is extended via Rutgers St to Brooklyn, Ridership should ( will) definitely increase automatically.

Full story: amny_logo.gif icon_offsite.png - December 30, 2007

i only like the V because its more reliable than the R so then i can get to roosevelt faster and transfer for my Excellent Express

im not a big fan of locals, their too slow in my opinion.

i only like the V because its more reliable than the R so then i can get to roosevelt faster and transfer for my Excellent Express

im not a big fan of locals, their too slow in my opinion.

Don't you mean the Excellent Local that basically turns local at the next stop from Roosevelt? Once at Queens Plaza, it makes every stop on its way. Or if you're on the (R), you might just wanna stick with that instead of making so many transfers that would just get you to your destinations even later......

Archived