Would this be a good idea?

NX Express

in order to have longer trains or more cars on a train, not only will the stations need to be rebuilt but also all the switches and the entire signal system would need to be redone. since it would be a retrofit it would cost more and take more time than the SAS. the only way now to ease the lex line is to maybe add select bus service like the bx12 to the m101. but that option creates its own set of problems.

in order to have longer trains or more cars on a train, not only will the stations need to be rebuilt but also all the switches and the entire signal system would need to be redone. since it would be a retrofit it would cost more and take more time than the SAS. the only way now to ease the lex line is to maybe add select bus service like the bx12 to the m101. but that option creates its own set of problems.

Thank you for pointing out what others have overlooked. The stations on the Lexington Ave corridor were lenghtened years ago to allow the use of 10 car trains which led to the closing of Worth St and 18th St on the Lex. Since some people are calling for 12 car trains I ask another question. When those trains leave the Lex corridor where will they go? There may be two stations in the BX that can platform a 12 car train, 161 St on the (4), and West Farms-East Tremont N/B on the (2) and (5). There are no such stations in Brooklyn. Let's think before we post. To the original poster, 4 or more doors per side per car does nothing to relieve the overcrowding on Lexington Ave trains. It only adds a potential for MORE door problems and a slower commute. Imagine an automated, or OPTO, train with a door problem on Lexington Ave during the rush hours. Ever see a C/R or T/O try to isolate a car during the rush hours? You've just magnified the problem. IMO the only hope for East Side riders IS the SAS. Just my 2 cents.

It would work if they were trainsets, articulated ones.

- A

That would fail miserably cause if one thing goes or one part of the train goes haywire, you lose the whole train. Its bad enough the R62/As (except the singles) and R142/As are linked into 5 car sets.

This idea would still fail completely miserably for one very simple car equipment reason.

There is something called "crashworthiness" which can be called "the test" of railcar safety standards in a collision.

It's not as simple as you might think...you can't just grab a Sawzall and start cutting siding out of cars without consequences. When you do that you weaken the superstructure of the car itself which means that in a collision the car will not perform as well. Door spacing and other "holes" in the side of the car body are specifically spaced so that the superstructure of the car runs around them and continuously supports the weight of the car and acts as a brace to prevent the car from telescoping (crushing in on itself end-inward) in the case of a collision.

When you mess with that, you mess with the safety of the car. So no, for all the reasons listed above, and this one too.

This idea would still fail completely miserably for one very simple car equipment reason.

There is something called "crashworthiness" which can be called "the test" of railcar safety standards in a collision.

It's not as simple as you might think...you can't just grab a Sawzall and start cutting siding out of cars without consequences. When you do that you weaken the superstructure of the car itself which means that in a collision the car will not perform as well. Door spacing and other "holes" in the side of the car body are specifically spaced so that the superstructure of the car runs around them and continuously supports the weight of the car and acts as a brace to prevent the car from telescoping (crushing in on itself end-inward) in the case of a collision.

When you mess with that, you mess with the safety of the car. So no, for all the reasons listed above, and this one too.

Thank you, someone with common sense.

I guarentee it'll not take a 1,000 years. At least if the workers work hard and fast. It'll be done in less than 5 years, :P...

5 years? Are you nuts? It's gonna take them that long just to get the first phase done and extend the (Q) and you're talking about the (T) in five years?

I am ignoring the obvious technical difficulties that would arise if future IRT cars (51.75 footers) had four doors per side. However, having more doors would not solve the problem of overcrowding, it would simply allow people to get on and off faster, but once inside everyone would still be squished into an 18 inch by 18 inch space (or less).

The IRT West Side is fine as it is. The only solution to the Lexington Avenue lines' congestion is the Second Avenue Subway.

Also, the problem of overcrowding really only affects the (4)(5) between Atlantic Avenue and Fulton St. With so many services connecting to the Lexington Avenue lines ((A)(:P©(D)(J)(M)(N)(Q)(R)(Z)(2)(3)) for service to the East Side, trains are bound to be crowded, and loading and unloading a problem because so many are transferring. The rest of the trip uptown during AM rush hours mainly involves people getting off, and the relatively few stops on the Lexington expresses (Brooklyn Bridge, Union Sq, Grand Central and 59th St) ensure this is not a major hassle (i.e. people get off in large numbers at a small number of stops, as opposed to a stop every minute or so). The uptown (6) also takes the load off the (4)(5) by absorbing those going to local stops, and believe me, the uptown (6) during morning rush hours is one of the most comfortable rides imaginable.

In the downtown direction too, (during PM rush hours) so many people get off by Atlantic Avenue that I almost always get a seat on the (5) after that. The real congestion once again, is only between Brooklyn Bridge (where (6) riders get on) and Atlantic Avenue (where people get off or transfer to other lines). It would seem pointless to install extra doors just to make getting on and off easier for these seven stations (BK Bridge, Fulton St, Wall St, Bowling Green, Borough Hall, Nevins St and Atlantic Av). In the downtown direction, most people are getting on an the midtown stops during PM rush hours, and few are getting off, so there is no real problem with (un)loading.

I do not know much about the opposite commutes (from Bronx to midtown during AM rush hours, and from midtown to the Bronx during PM), so I do not know whether having extra doors would be justified for this part of the route.

Archived