Questions about the (M) in Metro-North

mark1447

(1) What does M stand forum? Metropolitan / Transportation Authority?

(2) Seeing Mount Vernon West Station has the (NYCT) "M" Central, how is it that it had "M" and also the (MTA) too, during its days of (NYCT)? If NY Central wasn't a part of the t/a before.. Even LIRR had it.

Heres an example of the "M" from one of my collections:

e178a349.jpg

The M central was used on former ny central lines taken over by the (MTA), on the LIRR it said M long island. It was designed to smooth over the transition. The service not adopted by M central/CONNDOT was either abandoned or taken over by amtrak.

And it's MNRR not MNCRR. ;)

- A

The M central was used on former ny central lines taken over by the (MTA), on the LIRR it said M long island. It was designed to smooth over the transition. The service not adopted by M central/CONNDOT was either abandoned or taken over by amtrak.

And it's MNRR not MNCRR. B)

- A

But didn't Conrail owned the MNCRR before 1983? Central was taken over by Penn and then Conrail.. Unless im wrong?

As for MNRR/MNCRR, I still consider it by the old Metro North Commuter Railroad ;) but thx and yeah i know.

Back in the 80's. (NYCT) was nostalgic about their commuter railroads. The bought the MN, NH, and LIRR from Conrail for a cheap price. To give the railroads some heritage, they would place the two-tone M with the precursor railroad's name. (ex. M; Central or on the Cosmopoltians, M; New Haven) After the 90's, the (MTA) didn't give a damn anymore. So they stopped that practice.

Some other railroads do that also. NJ Transit name their equipment after Jersey Central and PRR trains of the 50's. Shore Line East still uses the classic NH symbol on their trains, MARC cars have a keystone above their vestibule doors. And so on.

Archived