Pics from my trip (27th and 28th)

R1Toasty

Well, I just got home after a few other things I did after my trip to NYC. I figured some of you would like to hear of what I did and see some of my pictures. So, lets get started.

First off, we got on the train to the city, seeing this sign in the front.

IMG_1189-1.jpg

Promptly after getting to Grand Central, we hopped on the 6 downtown. I snapped a few shots out the train doors along the way.

IMG_1196-1.jpg

I then got a HiDef video of both Worth St and City Hall, the train then stopped shortly after passing city hall where I took this picture.

IMG_1211-1.jpg

We stayed on the train all the way to Pelham Bay Park. Lucky me, I happened to run into the garbage train.

IMG_1286.jpg

I snapped a quick few of the R142A's controls.

IMG_1302.jpg

A TO then yelled at me for taking pictures, but I promptly pulled out my MTA rules. We transferred to an uptown 5 and then to a downtown 1, where we checked into our hotel just a short walk away from 27nd street station. I dropped off my backpack filled with my electronics. Getting back onto a downtown 1, I decided to go down and look at South Ferry again before they finish the new one. I peeked through the TO's cab the way there... teehee.

Here's the tunnel to the new station.

IMG_1337.jpg

I had a short chat with a very good conductor named John. If you ever get him you'll know... "There are 30 doors on each side of this train, don't pile up at one"

We then caught another 1 uptown to go see 191st Street. We got off for a little at 28th so my dad could make a call.

Then we continued on to 191st street and took a few pictures, especially on the large mosaic with pigeons awkwardly in the deepest station.

IMG_1398.jpg

We went to Times Square to check on tickets for shows, but the box offices were closed. I wanted to catch an R40 W to reenact my first RFW video, but was sidetracked by an R160 N.

We got off that and transferred to a 7 with a RFW and rode that to and fro the terminal ending in Times Square. Back where we started.

After that, we went back to the hotel for the night.

The next day, my dad wanted to go to Times Square to get some tickets for a play (for later with his GF). We sat at the end of the 42nd st Port Authority Bus terminal for a little bit waiting for an R38 A train. I took a few pictures, and also noticed a TO with a TSS in his cab in an R44 on the A.

We didn't get an R38 A. Fed up, I hopped on a C to 7th Ave to catch a Slant B.

IMG_1536.jpg

We rode that up to its terminal, snapped a pic of the controls and transferred to an A to keep going.

The A was coincidentally the same R44 with the TO with the TSS. We stayed on that up til 181st st where I decided to go back and catch a 1 to see R110A.

However, at this time, a downtown R38 A came and I couldn't resist the RFW. We kept on going all the way to Far Rockaway. I took a few pics. The R38 had a broken LCD destination sign.

IMG_1656.jpg

We got some sandwiches and headed back onto the train, an OOS R44 on the other track. We rode the same R38 to Hoyt-Schermerhorn St (sp?) and looked at the abandoned platforms.

IMG_1696.jpg

We hopped on a G with the window through the cab unblocked.

We rode it to the end of the line. Tired, we hopped on an F to start to go pick up our stuff at the hotel. We headed back to Grand Central from 72nd St and took the train back out of the city. All in all, I didn't get a lot on my list of things to do done, but I'll be back.

Edit: Oh, I forgot to mention I took 7 hrs of videos...

Thanks guys! It was fun, and I'll be back in a little bit to work on finishing my list.

Awesome! Glad you had your Rules handy! What did the T/O then say to you?

I'm paraphrasing:

"Is that camera on?"

"Yes"

"You're going to have to turn that off, you can't take pictures with that here."

"I don't believe that's accurate sir" *pulls out rules*

*TO looks at rules* "Carry on then" *closes cab door* (we're at Pelham Bay Park stepping onto the train)

Good thing I had those with me. That was the only time I got stopped the whole time.

Thanks guys! It was fun, and I'll be back in a little bit to work on finishing my list.

I'm paraphrasing:

"Is that camera on?"

"Yes"

"You're going to have to turn that off, you can't take pictures with that here."

"I don't believe that's accurate sir" *pulls out rules*

*TO looks at rules* "Carry on then" *closes cab door*

Good thing I had those with me. That was the only time I got stopped the whole time.

Excellent dude! Thats why I encourage photographers to carry the rules with them. I always do. Glad you handled it well R1.

Thanks for sharing the pictures! Interesting to see where the new South Ferry tunnel branches off. Does anybody know when exactly operations will be switched from the old SF to the new SF terminal?

In June, I also carried the printed-out MTA rules with me, but luckily didn't need them (despite taking some 1,100 pix in 5 days!). Only once I had the attention of a transit cop: I took a picture of a closed-off exit at the IND Crosstown Flushing Ave station. Which means, I was at the very end of the platform, where nobody usually walks to b/c the exit is closed off and trains stop at the middle at the platform only. This promptly earned me the attention of a transit cop who was walking my way when I was heading back; he looked at me but didn't say anything and didn't stop me. If he would've stopped me, I would've politely explained to him I'm a subway buff and I would've had the rules ready ;)

the photos are Excellent!

and you are so lucky the t/o that yelled at you wasn't screaming at the top of his lungs and threatening to arrest you...

He did tell me when I showed doubt to go ask the people in the booth, and a few of the people cleaning the train kinda nodded with him, but the rules are the rules. As well, I've got many more pictures, but I'm limited to how many I can post here. I tried to find the best ones I could for you all.

Dude, just let it go already......

I really wonder what does Mr. The Paranoid do to cause so many T/O and cops to be hatin' on him, while he takes picks? Does he be acting paranoid when questioned? Does he look suspicious, when taking picks? I can't see him looking like the type to be bothered by anyone, if he was who I seen in a video posted on that other board, a few months ago. The young asian teen male. He seems harmless.

I really wonder what does Mr. The Paranoid do to cause so many T/O and cops to be hatin' on him, while he takes picks? Does he be acting paranoid when questioned? Does he look suspicious, when taking picks? I can't see him looking like the type to be bothered by anyone, if he was who I seen in a video posted on that other board, a few months ago. The young asian teen male. He seems harmless.

Ya, he must be doing something wrong out there while he taking pics.

He probably walks around alot hiding something, then he takes the pictures and makes look suspicious.

I'll admit, it happen to me once and I was stupid for doing something like that, something I wouldn't do. Even the cop that came up me and the other person I was with said I should've just taken the picture and call it a wrap.

Ya, he must be doing something wrong out there while he taking pics.

He probably walks around alot hiding something, then he takes the pictures and makes look suspicious.

I'll admit, it happen to me once and I was stupid for doing something like that, something I wouldn't do. Even the cop that came up me and the other person I was with said I should've just taken the picture and call it a wrap.

Hands under coat, or in pocket, whipping out camera, with the quickness?

If you go, whip out the camera and take the pics, its nothing. As long as you don't make yourself look suspicious more than what others might think.

Depends on how you whip the camera out. If it's like whipping out a gun, then that will startle people.

Depends on how you whip the camera out. If it's like whipping out a gun, then that will startle people.

HAHA! Just simply pulling out where you have it is what I mean.

Sometimes, if its like something rare coming, I'll whip the camera out take my shots. Does happen to me alot on occasion where I have to pull out the camera really fast.

well your not the only one that wonders. thankfully though the last time i got yelled at was back in may, so i haven't been bothered in a long time (and i hope it stays this way too)

well your not the only one that wonders. thankfully though the last time i got yelled at was back in may, so i haven't been bothered in a long time (and i hope it stays this way too)

When I become a T/O, you can take all the pics of the train, and myself that you want. Cause I'm :cool: like that.

When I become a T/O, you can take all the pics of the train, and myself that you want. Cause I'm :cool: like that.

How will I know it's you? And if I do get you, can I see the inside of your cab? Pretty please with a cherry on top?

How will I know it's you? And if I do get you, can I see the inside of your cab? Pretty please with a cherry on top?

I'll question you if your taking pics, and ask if you are on any transit forum websites. If it's this one, or any other I have been on, then I'll reveal myself.

I'll question you if your taking pics, and ask if you are on any transit forum websites. If it's this one, or any other I have been on, then I'll reveal myself.

I see, like a secret identity B). Look! A bird!:eek: A plane!:eek: No! A Train!:eek: It's DOB2RTO-man!;)

Archived