Riders give subway mediocre grades

Trainspotter

Riders give subway mediocre grades

BY PETE DONOHUE

DAILY NEWS STAFF WRITER

Tuesday, January 1st 2008

alg_subway-report-card.gif

All subway report cards are in, and the system needs some remedial help.

Of the 22 subway lines, 18 received C or C-minus grades from riders who completed NYC Transit's first-ever Rider Report Cards.

The remaining four lines were slapped with D-plus ratings.

Top gripes cited by the more than 90,000 riders who participated in the survey included dirty stations, long waits for trains, frequent delays and daily overcrowding.

"The subway's beautiful, but dirty, just too dirty," Ed Roper, 27, a cashier from Brooklyn, said Monday at the 23rd St. station on the Eighth Ave. line. "Out of state, you need a car, but you can take the subway anywhere you need to go. The subway's cool, just filthy."

F train rider Josh Becerril, 23, a signmaker from Brooklyn, said the Forest Hills-to-Coney-Island line is "not too bad. It's always crowded, but it's pretty good."

Eddie Elias, 32, a produce manager for a Manhattan store and regular C train rider, gave the entire subway system a C grade.

"It's safe. Trains are constantly running. I guess it's fine," he said.

NYC Transit released the last of the results Friday. They included the W line, which received a D-plus grade, joining the C, E and G lines at the bottom of the heap.

The Staten Island Railway received a C-plus grade.

NYC Transit President Howard Roberts launched the sweeping survey last year, saying he wanted riders' help in setting goals and priorities for the system.

In a recent statement in response to a proposed "Subway and Bus Riders' Bill of Rights," NYC Transit said it has budgeted nearly $70 million worth of upgrades, including new or expanded bus and subway service.

Funding for station and train cleaning was boosted as was the budget to remove debris from tracks, officials said. Track fires are a leading cause of train delays.

"Of course, our customers can also help us provide efficient and dependable service for everyone who rides NYC Transit subway trains and buses," NYC Transit said in the statement.

"Some forms of subway and bus etiquette can actually help speed up service and make for a far more pleasant ride."

While I can agree with some filth in the subway, what do you expect NYC? Do you want people to come around through the cars and give you caviar for your measly $2? You should be happy it isn't covered in graffiti anymore. At least give something an A eventually! Surely if we got R142s on the TS shuttle it would get an A, right?

I don't know how the heck the (1) the (6)(6x) and the (7)(7x), din't get at least a B+. Those are the best lines. At least when I have took the 1 train to 96st for the 2 or 3 train. There would be 3 (1) trains before a (2) or (3) showed up. People just like to hate. I would give them mediocre service on the lines that should of gotten better grades.

Hmmm....20 C range grades, 5 D range grades, and 1 B range grade and that was the 42nd Street shuttle. Just amazing. Some of those lines deserved better like the (1), (4), (6), (7), (;), (D), (F), and (Q).

At least we'll see the MTA do some work and make service better where needed and all the other necessary things.

Hmmm....20 C range grades, 5 D range grades, and 1 B range grade and that was the 42nd Street shuttle. Just amazing. Some of those lines deserved better like the (1), (4), (6), (7), (;), (D), (F), and (Q).

At least we'll see the MTA do some work and make service better where needed and all the other necessary things.

Hey bro, you're forgetting about the (N).

Hey bro, you're forgetting about the (N).

Ok ok, the (N) could've gotten better than a C-, maybe a C+ or just barely a B-.

But the (N) is good, but it could be MUCH more better in terms of service.

But I'll listen to the point of a person who takes the line everyday so I'll add the (N) to the list.

Does anyone think NYC Transit will do this survey again?

I think NYCT now knows that the system will never get a fair grade. A lot of those routes didn't deserve the grades they received. I wouldn't be surprised if we never see the rider report card program ever again.

Unless of course they said they would do it again in the future. If they did, I obviously didn't hear about it.

I disagree. It was a waste of time and money.

Then on what basis are they to work on if they don't hear it from the riders themselves?

The offices of the MTA won't know anything or know what it is they will really need to work on to make it better for the riders. These report cards on the lines should be a wake up call and if they're going to ignore that fact, then I can agree that all this was a complete waste.

They heard from us, and its now their time to take action. If not, then they won't ever do this again for their great ignorance, because the MTA is a little known for that.

Then on what basis are they to work on if they don't hear it from the riders themselves?

The offices of the MTA won't know anything or know what it is they will really need to work on to make it better for the riders. These report cards on the lines should be a wake up call and if they're going to ignore that fact, then I can agree that all this was a complete waste.

They heard from us, and its now their time to take action. If not, then they won't ever do this again for their great ignorance, because the MTA is a little known for that.

We'll just have to see if they do.

Archived