IND stations with full mezzanines

keysersoze

A thing I like very much about the IND lines are the full mezzanines most IND stations featured. Their wide open spaces with the uncountable stairways to/from the platforms are simply fascinating me, because at many stations, they seem totally unnecessary considering the ridership at these stations.

I know that many of the full mezzanines have been walled off, or converted into offices/storage rooms in the past years, and then only small mezzanines at the street exits remain.

But - and that's the good thing - dozens of IND stations still have their original full mezzanines. Before I came to NYC in June, I read through every single station description at nycsubway.org so as to see where full mezzanines can still be found. I noted a few of those stations, to see them on my tour, but was quite disappointed to see that many of the full mezzanines had been walled off since the station descriptions on nycsubway.org have been written.

So, is there any chance to put up a list of the currently still open full mezzanines on these forums?

I found one at

- Bedford-Nostrand Avs, IND Crosstown

and yes, that's unfortunately the only one. I toured some IND Concourse stations, as nycsubway.org described many of them to have full mezzanines, but found none.

I would definitely like to see some more of them before they will all be walled off in the next couple years...

I remember when 145 and 125 Street had a full mezz. When I was younger, I lived near the 147 Street end of the station, now I live near the 145 Street end. I remember a few times walking through the mezz. from one end to the other and it was sloped. Here are some that I could think of:

42 Street-8 Avenue

14 Street- 8 Avenue

Elmhurst Avenue

Grand Avenue

71 Avenue

179 Street

Thanks to all for your posts, seems like the Queens Boulevard line is definitely where I should go, and also the 8th Avenue line in Midtown!

The Concourse line seems to have lost all of its full mezzanines, the Crosstown line never had many of them.

Does anybody know how the mezz situation is on the Central Park West and Fulton lines, and on the F in Brooklyn (between Bergen and Church)?

my home station 63rd Drive has a pretty big mezzanine. i don't know if its fits your description of a "full" mezzanine though
To visualize my description of a full mezzanine: ;)

200706140283gw6.jpg

That's the one at Bedford-Nostrand Avs. A mezzanine that stretches continously over the full platform length and is not grilled off, so that one can walk above the platforms from one end of the station to the other - that's my understanding of a full mezz.

Btw, I went through some of the descriptions on stationreporter.net today, which seems to have way more recent station descriptions than nycsubway.org. On the Central Park West, 125th St is the only station to have a full mezz, on the Crosstown it's Bedford-Nostrand Avs. Didn't read the Fulton line descriptions yet, but it seems to me that there are not dozens of full mezzanines left as I wrote in the opening post, but only one dozen in the best case.

Seems to me like the IND Queens Boulevard line is the spot for full mezzanines...

oh no, then my station does not have a full mezzanine, sorry. it almost extends the full length, but there are turnstiles in the middle blocking the way

but i think Grand Avenue-Newtown further down the line has something similar than this

I remember when 145 and 125 Street had a full mezz. When I was younger, I lived near the 147 Street end of the station, now I live near the 145 Street end. I remember a few times walking through the mezz. from one end to the other and it was sloped. Here are some that I could think of:

42 Street-8 Avenue

14 Street- 8 Avenue

Elmhurst Avenue

Grand Avenue

71 Avenue

179 Street

cross off Grand Avenue and 71 Avenue. IIRC Elmhurst has a full mezz. I think 179 Street has one, because I really meant 169 Street.

Btw, I went through some of the descriptions on stationreporter.net today, which seems to have way more recent station descriptions than nycsubway.org. On the Central Park West, 125th St is the only station to have a full mezz, on the Crosstown it's Bedford-Nostrand Avs. Didn't read the Fulton line descriptions yet, but it seems to me that there are not dozens of full mezzanines left as I wrote in the opening post, but only one dozen in the best case.

Seems to me like the IND Queens Boulevard line is the spot for full mezzanines...

Since 2003 or 2004, 125 Street does not have a full mezz due to elevator construction.

My home station of 15th Street Prospect Park on the (F) line still has a full mezz with a nice slight curve to it. There is an office built into the station but it was built around the original bathroom and does not fully block the mezz level.

Archived