Transit, PATH woes slow the AM commute

Trainspotter

Transit, PATH woes slow the AM commute

The Star-Ledger Continuous News Desk

Thurday January 03, 2008

large_trains02.JPG

Passengers wait to pay their PATH train fare at Newark Penn Station . Both New

Jersey Transit and PATH trains experienced morning delays.

Train problems on NJ Transit and PATH lines crippled the morning commute for throngs of riders, leaving some waiting for up to an hour on crowded and bitterly cold platforms.

NJ Transit trains have been delayed by as much as 60 minutes on the Northeast Corridor, North Jersey Coast Line and Raritan Valley lines because of wires down on the tracks west of Newark Penn Station, officials said. And PATH trains resumed in and out of Hoboken at 11:50 a.m. after being down for the third time today because of fire.

At 9:30 a.m., NJ Transit announced that operations had returned to normal with trains leaving on schedule from end-point terminals. Because of congestion from the earlier problems, some riders still could experience problems, NJ Transit officials said.

Eastbound NJ Transit trains to Newark and New York are temporarily suspended at Jersey Avenue.

The reduced number of NJ Transit trains has led to crowding on the affected rail lines. To make more room for riders, some trains making additional stops and others are bypassing some stations.

Earlier today, two track fires halted all PATH service out of Hoboken for nearly two hours. Service was restored at 9:30 a.m. and trains were running 15 minutes behind schedule as of 9:40 a.m., said Steve Coleman, a spokesman for the Port Authority of New York and New Jersey.

A third fire -- this one at a maintenance building near the station -- knocked out Hoboken PATH train service between 10:30 and 11:50 a.m., Coleman said.

I was waiting for the usual signal problems, broken wires, broken switches when the weather drops below freezing.

Ya, it was only a matter of time and today happened to be that day. I wonder if Amtrak was ready for that......

But man, what a bad day for PATH too. I know a few ppl there were really mad when they got to the station when that train didn't come and might've made them late. Good thing I don't have to take that regularly.

Another thing, but about the picture. I've seen NWK Penn packed, and I mean really, especially sometimes on the PATH, where it gets to the point you feel like your in Japan riding their subway with people pushing you in to fit into the train, but in that picture, never seen NWK Penn as packed as that.

Another thing, but about the picture. I've seen NWK Penn packed, and I mean really, especially sometimes on the PATH, where it gets to the point you feel like your in Japan riding their subway with people pushing you in to fit into the train, but in that picture, never seen NWK Penn as packed as that.

It really does shows the magnitude of how bad it was. Glad I wasn't there.

Archived