Toyota passes Ford as 2nd-biggest auto seller in US

Trainspotter

Toyota passes Ford as 2nd-biggest auto seller in US

Toyota Motor Corp. overtook Ford Motor Co. to become the No. 2 automaker by U.S. sales in 2007, using new products and relentless strategy to break Ford's 75-year lock on the position.

Toyota sold 2.62 million cars and trucks in 2007, which amounted to 48,226 more than Ford, according to sales figures released Thursday. Toyota's sales were up 3 percent for the year, buoyed by new products like the Toyota Tundra pickup, which saw sales jump 57 percent. Ford's sales fell 12 percent to 2.572 million vehicles.

Full story: nydailynews_logo.gif icon_offsite.png - January 3, 2008

How in hell are the japs beating a good US dealer! They make little tin cans,that if you get hit by something ford will fall apart and crumble. And them trying to push there way into the heavy pickup truck market(this including Honda etc) is just sickening.They claim they are stronger than the ford super duty and dodge RAMs bull.......and they claim that they can stop a huge load going down an incline without falling off the cliff(see that commercial?) Yea ok...

toyota out of all??????????????? ewww!!!

i guess people must like riding in tiny 2 inch long cars then

im not really a fan of toyota, their too small for me. and their also very bumpy

What are you, a giant? Actually Toyota cars (Camry, Tundra, and Sequoia) are just as large as American cars/SUVs now. And they look better. I can't buy one as they are just too expensive, with too little interior features, for their price.

How in hell are the japs beating a good US dealer! They make little tin cans,that if you get hit by something ford will fall apart and crumble. And them trying to push there way into the heavy pickup truck market(this including Honda etc) is just sickening.They claim they are stronger than the ford super duty and dodge RAMs bull.......and they claim that they can stop a huge load going down an incline without falling off the cliff(see that commercial?) Yea ok...

I'm waiting for some idiot to do what they do in their commercial, then sue saying it was false advertisement. That's if they live. At least now, the Expedition Limited will be cheaper. Heck it's the cheapest large SUV I've seen so far.

What are you, a giant? Actually Toyota cars (Camry, Tundra, and Sequoia) are just as large as American cars/SUVs now. And they look better. I can't buy one as they are just too expensive, with too little interior features, for their price.

well im not a giant, but im not a midget either

i remember riding in my cousins toyota, the chairs were so tiny i had to sit cross legged because they were too small to sit regularly! and also its bumpy and it feels like the motors are having trouble pulling all the weight

well im not a giant, but im not a midget either

i remember riding in my cousins toyota, the chairs were so tiny i had to sit cross legged because they were too small to sit regularly! and also its bumpy and it feels like the motors are having trouble pulling all the weight

Did he have a Corolla? If so I wouldn't even drive it, as my feet get stuck on the gas pedal, between the brake pedal, and the floor console. I drove a Geo Prism once when I worked at AVIS car rental, and this happened. It's the same car. Had to drive with the tip of my shoes.

How in hell are the Japanese beating a good US dealer! They make little tin cans,that if you get hit by something ford will fall apart and crumble. And them trying to push there way into the heavy pickup truck market(this including Honda etc) is just sickening.They claim they are stronger than the ford super duty and dodge RAMs bull.......and they claim that they can stop a huge load going down an incline without falling off the cliff(see that commercial?) Yea ok...
Because the what they make is horrible, but they advertise it to these retards that think they are good cars because they get good MPG. They get good MPG because look whats under the hood, a 1.6L with 4 gerbals. Try working on a Japanese car, then on an American car, and you will be amazed of how cheaply made the Japanese parts are.

Because the shit that they make is horrible, but they advertise it to these retards that think they are good cars because they get good MPG. They get good MPG because look whats under the hood, a 1.6L with 4 gerbals. Try working on a Japped car, then on an American car, and you will be amazed of how cheaply made the Japped parts are.

ROFL I know...I had an auto shop class and we had this big buick and then next to it was this crappy jap car....felt like if you sat on it,it would break.

toyota out of all??????????????? ewww!!!

i guess people must like riding in tiny 2 inch long cars then

im not really a fan of toyota, their too small for me. and their also very bumpy

Agree somewhat since my parents own 2 Camrys :) I rather drive another car though.

Agreed 100% although everyone does that including Ford, remember the F-150 can stop a plane. But honestly I believe Ford more for the fact that they have always had a tough truck

Because the shit that they make is horrible, but they advertise it to these retards that think they are good cars because they get good MPG. They get good MPG because look whats under the hood, a 1.6L with 4 gerbals. Try working on a Japped car, then on an American car, and you will be amazed of how cheaply made the Japped parts are.

Thats why I want a 6.1 Liter Charger. Lets see who would win, a Honda Civic (or any other car for that matter) or a Dodge Charger. Case closed ;)

The so called perfect Toyota has been suffering from major issues with their cars. Major breakdowns and recalls has been plaguing them as of recently.

I will always buy American no matter what! And yes I know Toyota's are built in America I think we all know that. I mean an American company!

Thats why I want a 6.1 Liter Charger. Lets see who would win, a Honda Civic (or any other car for that matter) or a Dodge Charger. Case closed ;)

Watch someone in a Civic, tries to race you from light to light. I've seen this numerous times. I had a Ford Contour I4, an Olds Intrigue V6, and now a Nissan Pathfinder V6. Nissan fuel efficient my a$$. Thank goodness I'll be closer to home now at Kingsbridge.

Hehe, you guys have bad luck.

I've been in cars of all. American, Japanese, and European. Japanese came out winning for me. With American cars, especially Fords, has been just pure suckage, especially the minivans. Lets just say I'll stick with the Honda Accord now that I have, fuel efficient, good size, doesn't give me or any else who drives it problems as often as the other cars we've had. The euro cars were good, but I wouldn't buy one, except for this one car....

I'll have to test drive a few more cars for a while to give a better input.

Oh well, I'm not surprised about Toyota's position on that list. I doubt it topped GM soon if not at all. Toyota's are ok but I wouldn't want one for myself.

I own a Toyota Corolla (05) and I love it. It has a lot of room and good ground clearance. They came a long way in size on the newer cars. I brought the car brand new and now have 87000 miles and its great no breakdowns. My parents owned American company cars and they broke down so I buy what I know works for me. The Gas Mileage is great I can get away with 2 round trips from PA to NYC.

I won't be buying any more cars. I'm a SUV man and will stay with the gas guzzler. More cargo room, and I like to be up high when driving.

As soon as I can I will be doing the same thing. I'll be able to look you in the eye from my truck when we're at a stop light.

Did he have a Corolla? If so I wouldn't even drive it, as my feet get stuck on the gas pedal, between the brake pedal, and the floor console. I drove a Geo Prism once when I worked at AVIS car rental, and this happened. It's the same car. Had to drive with the tip of my shoes.

as a matter of fact, he did! the small and shitty ones! and they look so ugly too.

he fits perfectly fine in that thing lol. but then again he is rather short for a 19 yr old.

and what's wrong with Ford? they are ok, but they suck in the snow. at least their not tiny like the little toyota's

as a matter of fact, he did! the small and shitty ones! and they look so ugly too.

he fits perfectly fine in that thing lol. but then again he is rather short for a 19 yr old.

and what's wrong with Ford? they are ok, but they suck in the snow. at least their not tiny like the little toyota's

I had a Ford Contour, and it got me through the snow just fine. If Ford would of redesigned the Explorer and Expedition before I got my Pathfinder (2005), I would of got that. I am in love with the redesigned Expedition and Explorer, and more in love with the price. Ford did it right this time. To bad I'm stuck for now with my Pathfinder (hope she doesn't hear this, and decide to break down on me in the middle of the h'way, for revenge).

Archived