R44 Early Retirement?

ctrain

We'll see if the engineers determine that the R44 on SI are in significantly better shape. While they aren't used as much as the mainline cars, they are exposed to the elements substantially more.

Such as running on ballast ROWs vs concrete ROWs.

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Such as running on ballast ROWs vs concrete ROWs.

Well, when the ballast gets old, it tends to make the roadbed sink, thus making the ride on the section have a lot of bounce. obviously, the car body will eventually flex, and not just that, the salt water from the Rockaways plays a major roll too. Now, with the new sections of track with concrete track ties reduces the roadbed from sinking, and giving you a smoother ride. What I like about ballast track is that it is much quieter then pure concrete roadbed.

It was more than a "final peek". If they find significant structural problems in the R44s, then there are enough R160s yet to enter service to indirectly retire the vast majority of the R44 fleet.....

They're looking for potential structural flaws that would make keeping the R44s over the R32s and R42s a prudent decision or not.

Hopefully they won't get to that point, as then we might be in the same situation as we were when the R30s left.

By the way, what are the chances that the R46's will also be retired by the R179s?

I was recently looking at the January 3rd subway car data sheet and noticed that it said that they were currently inspecting the R44's for structural problems and was wondering about it. Also it said they might retire some R44's before the remaining R32 and R42's. If anyone can tell me anything they know about this!

Thanks-(C)(T)(R)(A)(I)(N)

Speaking of R44's being Retired, 4 Trainsets have already been taken out, 20 R46's are at 207th st from Jamaica.

Let us all pray that the R44s make it for at least......Another 15 years:tup:

Dude, the R44s frames are rotting like crazy. I wouldn't be surprised if this were to start retirement because I saw this coming from as early as 2007. That's just the way I see it.

Hopefully they won't get to that point, as then we might be in the same situation as we were when the R30s left.

By the way, what are the chances that the R46's will also be retired by the R179s?

There probably won't be a fleet shortage because the (MTA) will likely retire either the R44s OR the R32s/R42s. They won't retire all of the cars (unless service cuts deem them unnecessary and fit for reefing). R46s aren't being retired anytime soon.

Dude, the R44s frames are rotting like crazy. I wouldn't be surprised if this were to start retirement because I saw this coming from as early as 2007. That's just the way I see it.
Hey I can`t help it I love the R44`s.Do you think St.Louis Car rushed these cars or really had total disreguard for these cars? Consider the fact that the order was costing them more money than they were making.:P

Hey I can`t help it I love the R44`s.Do you think St.Louis Car rushed these cars or really had total disreguard for these cars? Consider the fact that the order was costing them more money than they were making.:P

It's because the complex technology materialized for these trains never came to play; they were built for the SAS but as we know, it was never completed. Also, every car that ever served the (A) (except the 32s and 46s due to their stainless steel composure; the (A) never used anything newer than an R46 except 160s which only stayed on the line for 30 days) were exposed to sea salt from the Rockaways, making the rooflines on a majority of the 42s that ran on the (A) before they went somewhere else look rusted as crazy, also doing a number on their carbon steel body frames.

One of the many, yes.

And where is this info from? R-38s were mainly used on the (C), a completely underground line, during the time prior to their "demise". R-10s spent the majority of their service life on the (A), 70(CC), and later (C) to Rockaway Pk. Carbon steel car-bodies which spent more time on that line than the R-38s (stainless) ever did and we're supposed to believe that the R-38s were retired earlier because of exposure to salt air? Not to mention everything at CI Yd for years which is near the water and salt air also. If someone who works in car equipment would like to say otherwise, please do so, but it sounds like a load of foam from the Rockaway seashore.

And where is this info from? R-38s were mainly used on the (C), a completely underground line, during the time prior to their "demise". R-10s spent the majority of their service life on the (A), 70(CC), and later (C) to Rockaway Pk. Carbon steel car-bodies which spent more time on that line than the R-38s (stainless) ever did and we're supposed to believe that the R-38s were retired earlier because of exposure to salt air? Not to mention everything at CI Yd for years which is near the water and salt air also. If someone who works in car equipment would like to say otherwise, please do so, but it sounds like a load of foam from the Rockaway seashore.

What are you talking about? You must not have been aware that the (A) and the (C) shared their 60' fleet, which meant that you'd see 38s on both the (A) AND (C), as well as Slants, Mods and 42s that popped up on the lines in 2008.

What are you talking about? You must not have been aware that the (A) and the (C) shared their 60' fleet, which meant that you'd see 38s on both the (A) AND (C), as well as Slants, Mods and 42s that popped up on the lines in 2008.

What about the R-10s? You must not have read or conveniently ignored when I asked why they (carbon steel) spent more time than the R-38s (stainless) on those lines? And although they were shared, in their last months, they were mainly seen on the (C), the same way that the (N)(Q)(W) share the same fleet, yet it is still seen as a big deal here when R-68s appear on the (N).

What about the R-10s? You must not have read or conveniently ignored when I asked why they (carbon steel) spent more time than the R-38s (stainless) on those lines? And although they were shared, in their last months, they were mainly seen on the (C), the same way that the (N)(Q)(W) share the same fleet, yet it is still seen as a big deal here when R-68s appear on the (N).

I did say 60' fleet. As for me, I don;t see it as a big deal if I see a 68/A on the (N) or (W). I just wish I was more lucky.

Archived