R44 Early Retirement?

ctrain

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
SubwayGuy seems to convince people well enough in his posts. He was the first person who brought up the R44's inspection survey while everyone else didn't. The only thing I was aware of was that 14 R42s were reactivated at around Christmastime, and now it has been confirmed.

I knew about the servery at the same time Subwayguy found out. I think this was around the end of December. Neither one of us has been made aware of the out come of the survey yet as I think it is still on going.

And additionally, I think the R-44 would need a complete SMS and some 'stability accessories' because the last few times I rode a R44 (which was this year), it is a pretty harsh ride, the R-44 is basically getting jolted side to side, especially during turns.

I ride the R44's two times a week (either once or twice a day) and they ride almost exactly, IF NOT EXACTLY like the R46s (which I ride 5 days a week). The frames may be "twisting" but that doesn't mean you can see the walls moving to and fro.

They are fine. Like I said, this is just a quick peek as the number of R32+R42 now equals to the number of trains made up by the R44. This survey is conducted just to see whether the original slate or the current slate should be conducted, but not to the extent that the R44s are twisting to the extreme and need extreme attention. Those people that told you about the R44s needing extreme attention from rust and decay are only the people that wants them to go.

He gets his information from people who work in Car Equipment. I think the guy even works in Car Equipment, considering he has seen these R44 frames. People in Car Equipment do not make stuff up if they are the ones who are structurally evaluating these cars and submitting a final decision to the (MTA). The only ones here bringing their opinion into things are the railfans (I have speculated about this, you have speculated about this, etc.). SubwayGuy, INDMan and Art Vandelay have just been giving us the facts (and I thank them for that).

No, one thing has nothing to do with the other. In fact, the SIRT R44s are in better shape then the ones on the (A).

Ok so after looking at some SIRT R44s down at CIY, they do have frame rot along the lines of those on the (A) line. The have even installed drains, yes drains so water that gets in will not do has much damage as it has already. This does not mean that they are not safe, it only means that the TA will need to replace them and rethink about spending money to keep them around longer.

I am saying the ride quality, I obviously cannot see the walls getting twisted or moving like a swing. But, since you ride it so often, you basically cannot feel the change, while for me I ride it seasonally and since 2004, I did see dramatic change, previous ride quality of the R44 is like the R-68 while the R-46 stayed the same. It is at least what I observed and the amount of R-44's I took.

Please stop making things up. There is no difference in "ride quality" as you call it between ANY of those cars 5 years ago and now. Even within the fleet at any given time the ride can vary greatly just between individual trains of the same car class running on the same route. So to make a wrong blanket statement like that is misleading and a waste of Harry's server space.

Ok so after looking at some SIRT R44s down at CIY, they do have frame rot along the lines of those on the (A) line. The have even installed drains, yes drains so water that gets in will not do has much damage as it has already. This does not mean that they are not safe, it only means that the TA will need to replace them and rethink about spending money to keep them around longer.

Don't tell me that the current SMS program is a waste then...

Like I said before, the connection for C.H.R.R. (not NY&NJ Railroad) is supposed to be going for a rebuild.

Could you guys elaborate more on the C.H.R.R. and South Brooklyn stuff since I don't know what you are talking about, but it sounds interesting.

from my commutes, the ride quality of the 44s are unchanged. The problems ive heard from friends who are T/Os (ive know them since before they worked for MTA) is that The main structural problem with the 44s have been rotting frames. but thats the "main line" 44s. SIRs 44s are going thru SMS because they havent gone thru the hell that the MLs 44s have gone thru. SIRs will surely serve well till a new fleet comes in for them. not quite sure about the MLs.

ill tell you one thing, i really do miss frequent R32s on the A.

When MTAs engineers finish with the survey the 44s, we will then find out their fate.

Archived