R44 Early Retirement?

ctrain

• Replies 408
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I know 46's have a smooth, bouncy ride (I'm thinking it's cause it's 75 feet), reminding me of an M1/M3. But what I wanna ask is: Can 44's still do 87.75 mph, or have their motors been changed to the standard 55 mph limit.

No, due to the reasons the other posters got to before me. Even still, when they ran that train 87+ MPH it's worth noting that they blew out half the motors on the train so technically it was never realistically possible to run them at that speed.

No, due to the reasons the other posters got to before me. Even still, when they ran that train 87+ MPH it's worth noting that they blew out half the motors on the train so technically it was never realistically possible to run them at that speed.

LOL Whoa! I read that they shut some off to simulate passenger weight. Wow, I ain't know they blew em. Interesting. ...Which makes me think how I'd love to see an R160 and an M7 side-by-side to compare sizes.

Does anyone know when will the inspection be done?

i was totd that from TA car inpector the system safety survey should be done around end of Jan 2010 then TA will official decision on what to do with the rest of R44s,

Also they made a official decision that 272 R46s will be to Pitkin/207 train by train around 32 cars already been moved from Jamaica to pitkinv since jan 1, they want to make (A) line all R32 and R46 fleet.

i was totd that from TA car inpector the system safety survey should be done around end of Jan 2010 then TA will official decision on what to do with the rest of R44s,

Also they made a official decision that 272 R46s will be to Pitkin/207 train by train around 32 cars already been moved from Jamaica to pitkinv since jan 1, they want to make (A) line all R32 and R46 fleet.

Thanks for the 411.

But they just got 'fixed up' at CI not too long ago...

Actually they are in the process of fixing them. I believe they fixed up 70% of the SIRT cars by now.

You'll often see a fixed train next to an old train at St. George. The Coney Island fixed trains got blue seats and newer logos on the side.

Looks like if they keep the R44, they would be set as a part time fleet once they become the oldest fleet in the system. That makes sense!

if TA keep rest of them or retried them, either way R44s are going to the (C) line, (A) Operators will have a field day once (A) becomes all R32/R46 fleet

R44's may die on (C) anyway (unless TA change their minds on where they're going to be assigned).

if TA keep rest of them or retried them, either way R44s are going to the (C) line, (A) Operators will have a field day once (A) becomes all R32/R46 fleet

R44's may die on (C) anyway (unless TA change their minds on where they're going to be assigned).

I'm sure you're aware that most of the A operators don't hate the R44s...

Yep! Also, brighter lighting inside, and a better floor for grip.

Luckily the R44s on the SIR all still have excellent condition frames.

They haven't finished the survey on either the R44 NYCT or R44 SIR yet so we can't say something like that yet.

Some (A) T/O's hate the R44s because their cabs are much smaller and less comfortable than that of the R46. That's why some of them were happy when R46s first hit the (A).

Some (A) T/O's hate the R44s because their cabs are much smaller and less comfortable than that of the R46. That's why some of them were happy when R46s first hit the (A).

Other than that, a lot of the T/Os that I spoke to preferred the feeling of the R44 braking more than the R46 braking.

They haven't finished the survey on either the R44 NYCT or R44 SIR yet so we can't say something like that yet.

I think its safe to say that Coney Island Yard would know if a R44 SIR they just overhauled was f***ed up! And since they're about 70% of the way through the whole SIR fleet, and we haven't had any R44 SIRs suddenly being eliminated in 2009 or 2010, we ccan say they've not found one with a truly defective frame.

Well that's the SIRT ones, I think they already had stainless steel 'bands'. The NYCT ones [except for 2 cars] are all carbon steel and those rust badly [R38-42 rooftops].

Of course I'll wait and see, but I'm just saying that it may not bode well for them.

That's definitely true, its why I restricted my claims to the SIR R44s.

Other than that, a lot of the T/Os that I spoke to preferred the feeling of the R44 braking more than the R46 braking.

The way I see it, they both brake the same.

Are you sure? I spoke with a T/O and he told me that even with the slightest bit of upward movement with the master controller, the train can go into emergency. T/Os on the (A) dread working the train.

As a daily A train rider out of rockaway, if i dont pay attention to the details between a 44 and a 46, they both seem to ride the same. a good test of ride quality is on the Far Rock branch where the track has been replaced with track held together by concrete ties. Now thats a smooth ride. There is one way i do tell them apart indefinatly.....when it rains, the roofs of the 46s dont leak into the car.

As a daily A train rider out of rockaway, if i dont pay attention to the details between a 44 and a 46, they both seem to ride the same. a good test of ride quality is on the Far Rock branch where the track has been replaced with track held together by concrete ties. Now thats a smooth ride. There is one way i do tell them apart indefinatly.....when it rains, the roofs of the 46s dont leak into the car.

In other words, the rain pwns the R44s...lmao :P

Archived