MTA pulls plug on Top of Rock promos

Trainspotter

MTA pulls plug on Top of Rock promos

Subway conductors no longer are being forced to plug a tourist attraction at Rockefeller Center.

More than a year ago, conductors were given a written directive to mention the Top of the Rock observatory when arriving at the 47th-50th St./Rockefeller Center station on the B, D, F and V lines.

The plug - unpopular with train crews - came about because developer Peter Kalikow, then Metropolitan Transportation Authority chairman, wanted to extend a "courtesy" to one of the building's owners, authority officials said after the announcements began in 2006. In late November, not long after Kalikow left the post, subway managers told conductors to stop shilling for the tourist site.

Full story: nydailynews_logo.gif icon_offsite.png - January 5, 2008

I've gone up there many times in the past five years I not once have I ever heard it.

I've heard once like right after they said the C/Rs were going to make that announcement but I was really tired, trying to get home. and not paying much attention. I was trying to get to 34th Street to then get to PATH.

I remember a C/R on the (F) got written up for not saying "Top of the rock" about a year a ago. That was the second bulletin that was a waste of time. They still got a bulletin out telling C/R's on the (E)(F)(G)(R) Lines to promote the (V) train. The announcment must me made at Queens Plaza, Rooservelt, Continental. To this day I have not heard this announcement being made but the Bulletin has been reissued to all operating personal. " Ladies and Gentlemen this is your Conductor to aviod overcrowding use the (V) train its only a few minutes longer but less crowded". Its something to that effect I don't have it in front of me.

So they did it as a courtesy to one of Kalikows friends. Using employees as the riches puppets. Now people the public can get a true understanding of the internal works of the TA.

Thank goodness HES gone along with the rest of his creatons...

Lee is trying to do the right thing now..

You have no idea how the C/R's on the(B) ,(D),(F) and (V) trains was jumping for joy once they recsended it..

It was a stupid bulletin really.

They still got a bulletin out telling C/R's on the (E)(F)(G)(R) Lines to promote the (V) train. The announcment must me made at Queens Plaza, Rooservelt, Continental. To this day I have not heard this announcement being made but the Bulletin has been reissued to all operating personal. " Ladies and Gentlemen this is your Conductor to aviod overcrowding use the (V) train its only a few minutes longer but less crowded". Its something to that effect I don't have it in front of me.

That actually sounds like a good idea!

Archived