(M)/(V) combo maybe happening in the future?

w8Hou

MTA retooling subway and bus service cuts

The doomsday cuts are getting a makeover.

MTA officials are furiously retooling dozens of service cuts slated to hit straphangers in July. Among the ideas is the possible elimination of the M train, with the V replacing the line where it runs through north Brooklyn to Middle Village, transit sources said.

The MTA already proposed scraping M service in Brooklyn, which runs only during weekday rush hours and serves 17,000 straphangers.

Riders most inconvenienced by the new proposal would be those in Queens who would have transfer to the J to access five lower Manhattan stations.

“No train is no train. We’re still shafted,” said Gene Russianoff, of the Straphangers Campaign.

The cuts were announced last month to help fill a $400 million budget gap, with the agency recycling a package of reductions first considered last year. The proposals included eliminating the W and Z trains and curtaining to the G and M. Dozens of bus lines would be scraped or reduced.

MTA officials are now trying to soften the cuts, including restoring some of the bus reductions, transit sources said.

A MTA spokesman couldn’t confirm the specific changes, but said that MTA CEO Jay Walder is “reviewing all of the cuts and that some will likely be replaced with others.”

When the cuts were first discussed last year, the proposals included reductions to costly express bus service. Those cuts were removed after the city protested, and an infusion of cash from the state prevented nearly all of the cuts from happening.

Source: http://www.amny.com/urbanite-1.812039/mta-retooling-subway-and-bus-service-cuts-1.1696319

• Replies 250
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The MTA already proposed scraping M service in Brooklyn, which runs only during weekday rush hours and serves 17,000 straphangers.

Wrong! (M) Runs 24 Hours a day! Rush Hours only to Bay Parkway, while midday to Chambers, Eve to Broad St, and Late NIght/Weekends to Myrtle..

But man, this sucks seeing the (M) getting cut!!

Wrong! (M) Runs 24 Hours a day! Rush Hours only to Bay Parkway, while midday to Chambers, Eve to Broad St, and Late Night/Weekends to Myrtle..

The (M) as a full route, either Metropolitan to Bay Pkwy, Chambers/Broad does not run 27/7 so they are correct in saying that the (M) does not run a full route 24/7.

Wrong! (M) Runs 24 Hours a day! Rush Hours only to Bay Parkway, while midday to Chambers, Eve to Broad St, and Late NIght/Weekends to Myrtle..

But man, this sucks seeing the (M) getting cut!!

i believe they were reffering to the section south of Broad St. along with fully cutting W and Z. Now they may be able to save them if they cut the M all together. And replce its service north of essex with an Extended V.

The (M) in Brooklyn is empty most of the times. 10 people in one car during AM rush going to Manhattan, is the most I ever saw. They should rather add some (R) service for the 4th Ave Local from Bay Ridge.

As for Middle Village and the Broadway Brooklyn El - wouldn't direct Midtown Access indeed be better for the straphangers there than Downtown access? Midtown has shopping entertainment dining out and lots of jobs while Downtown has - only jobs? Also, Middle Village straphangers who want to go Downtown could still do this by a simple same-platform transfer, whilst Midtown-bound people now have to change lines.

I just wish the (M) wouldn't be cut because it is another bad news for the people travelling the Eastern Div. Lines. The (J) would be the only original line still running the full length route from Broad St. or Chambers St. to Jamaica-Parsons/Archer.

Although if there is a possiblility to eliminate the (V) and run the (M) via Queens Blvd. it'll produce less confusion. Since the (V) currently is a Weekday ONLY Service and the (M) no matter the route or length of route is a 24/7 service. The (MTA) would be better of with the (M) designation. Additionally, route letter assignments are more consistant since the first 18 of the 24 available letters are used ending with the (T). All letters except (P) is used:

To support the last sentence above:

(A)(;)(C)(D)(E)(F)(G)

(H)(J)(K)(L)(M)(N)(Q)

(R)(S)(T)...

Well, looks like this is happening and it is happening pretty quickly. The (V) running over the (M), the typical (U) Line I am always thinking of.

That argument to support keeping the (M) name actually weighs very little. It's going to run via 6 Avenue, so an orange bullet will have to be filled with some letter, and it's probably not going to be M. They might take the (V) away during the weekend and have the (M) continue it's shuttle route, but the (V) is most likely here to stay.

Wow, this is crazy. I read Zman's post last week and I was ready for it to be true and not true but then this morning I saw news reports on Good Day New York & NY1 and I was amazed at how true it was that it's on the table, not like I thought Zman was lying. I have mixed feeling on this this. This will help out certain straphangers but it will also hurt certain ones too. I wish ther was a way to keep the (M) and add the (V) over to the Nassau St area without having to eliminate a line. If it happens, I hope it will help more people that hurt.

Why does the 6th Ave. Line have to be Orange, can there be some other colors. Although the uniformity is disrupted through 'the main color uniformity corridors.' I have to bring another arguement here, the (M) has a long history and it's known 'flexibility' so if the (MTA) runs the (M) to Forest Hills-71st. Ave. it'll still keep what it should do...

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I recall back in the day every line being a different color and they assigned colors to the main trunk lines in Manhattan (Green East Side, Brown Nassau, Orange 6Av, Blue 8 av etc) to make things clearer. It could still be the (M) but it would be Orange because it would no longer serve Nassau St but 6th Ave

It could still be the (M) but it would be Orange because it would no longer serve Nassau St but 6th Ave

1. The R160s, as far as I know, don't have an orange (M)

2. Changing all the bullets on QBL and 6 Av from an orange (V) to an orange (M) is unneccessary. This is, after all, made to save some $$$.

Why does the 6th Ave. Line have to be Orange, can there be some other colors. Although the uniformity is disrupted through 'the main color uniformity corridors.' I have to bring another arguement here, the (M) has a long history and it's known 'flexibility' so if the (MTA) runs the (M) to Forest Hills-71st. Ave. it'll still keep what it should do...

There's more stations along the (M)/(V) route with (V) signage so it would be cheaper to rename the new route the (V) in order to save money on making new signs.

eliminate the (V) and make the (M) run along the (V) in orange. They should make it this way because noone will be sad if the (V) dies but i know alot of people that have an attachemt to the (M). Dont let the (M) die. :cry:

It's the same thing in the end. A single letter makes no difference.

There's more stations along the (M)/(V) route with (V) signage so it would be cheaper to rename the new route the (V) in order to save money on making new signs.

That's only partially true. The destination boards will have to be changed because the (V) won't terminate at 2nd Avenue no more.

1. The R160s, as far as I know, don't have an orange (M)

2. Changing all the bullets on QBL and 6 Av from an orange (V) to an orange (M) is unneccessary. This is, after all, made to save some $$$.

It's the same thing in the end. A single letter makes no difference.

They can always be reprogrammed .. that's one of the benefits of completely electronic signage. New signs are made all the time and sometimes simply cover over exiting ones. If they make the change, signs will have to be changed too, there isn't any way around that. Even elimination of the (9) required a good amount of new signs including modifying some of the fancy ones in Manhattan at Times Sq etc.

It would make more sense to designate the entire route as the (M) since that has traditionally been the route which serves MET, with the (V) being a relatively new route and really only the single letter substitute of a route which would have been the FF had it existed under the IND. Also, it would keep the (M) as it is for the weekend/late nite shuttle to Bway/Myrtle.

One more thing is that there have been exceptions to the present trunk-line color system ... for example, ®s which operated from 95 St to Chambers street ran as (R) and at some point were shown on the map as yellow <(R)> and not <R> which was actually never used in service. So it was a yellow service which ran on Nassau and not Broadway. So they could break from the color routes and keep the (M) bullet as is, although ideally, an orange (M) would make the most sense if this were to happen.

I do like that if this comes to pass the (M) or (V) will be nearly a complete circle. Heck, maybe they can build an extension from the elevated Myrtle Avenue Line down to the underground Queens Boulevard line and make it a true circle service! (i know that's retardedly expensive);)

This also means that the (V) will have to use shorter trains since it will be going on the Nassau Line.

No, it'll run via the Brooklyn Broadway el. Nassau-Centre is the segment that'll be cut.

As for what to do with the letter, if the line runs only R160s, maybe it could be reprogramed to have an orange M. I think they should keep the V for another designation in the future.

They can always be reprogrammed .. that's one of the benefits of completely electronic signage. New signs are made all the time and sometimes simply cover over exiting ones. If they make the change, signs will have to be changed too, there isn't any way around that. Even elimination of the (9) required a good amount of new signs including modifying some of the fancy ones in Manhattan at Times Sq etc.

It would make more sense to designate the entire route as the (M) since that has traditionally been the route which serves MET, with the (V) being a relatively new route and really only the single letter substitute of a route which would have been the FF had it existed under the IND. Also, it would keep the (M) as it is for the weekend/late nite shuttle to Bway/Myrtle.

One more thing is that there have been exceptions to the present trunk-line color system ... for example, ®s which operated from 95 St to Chambers street ran as (R) and at some point were shown on the map as yellow <(R)> and not <R> which was actually never used in service. So it was a yellow service which ran on Nassau and not Broadway. So they could break from the color routes and keep the (M) bullet as is, although ideally, an orange (M) would make the most sense if this were to happen.

Although I'd love to see some new inventions, the new route would have more (V) stops than the (M); it would be less expensive to change all the (M)s to (V)s than change every (V) symbol and every (M) symbol to an orange (M). Thus, the (V) is likely to stay.

i believe they were reffering to the section south of Broad St. along with fully cutting W and Z. Now they may be able to save them if they cut the M all together. And replce its service north of essex with an Extended V.

I was under the impression that the (W) and (Z) would still get cut even if the (M) goes the way of the (JFK). Either way, I'll believe it when the (MTA) makes an official decision about what services they plan to cut.

Archived