Staten Island Division: 2010 and beyond

S78 via Hylan

Exactly where would the bus lay over if it were to terminate at Richmond Avenue? I'm not saying it isn't possible, but I've been around that intersection and it doesn't look like there's any spot where the bus can lay over. After Richmond Avenue west of Victory Boulevard, Victory gets narrow again, and Richmond Avenue seems too busy to have any buses overlay on that street. I;m not saying it's impossible, but that's something the MTA will have to consider looking into. Besides, the S93 was created for the CSI students. It doesn't take too long for students to walk from the college entrance to Richmond Avenue anyway.

That is a long walk from the college front gate entrance to Richmond Avenue for about 15 to 20 minutes.

The only logical way is terminated at Travis that shared with s62 Terminal spot.

S89...

...and nah, S93 is just about perfect right where it is.... if anyone needs Richmond av coming from BK, they can do what's currently done - take the S79 to the S44... that xfer is quite common btw (ring rd)....

Ive seen people from Richmond & Victory walking to the College of Staten Island bus stop for s93 Limited to Brooklyn because its faster in 45 min to 1 hour. The s79 takes more than hour with lots of stops to Brooklyn.

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply
^ s60 was in the doomsday buget cuts, they were going to cut on weekends which it makes sense since there is barley any riders on weekends.

But I have to disagree, s60 should be exteneded north to St George Ferry and kill the taxpayer St John and Wagner college shuttle.

There's already the S61, S62 and S66 during weekdays to handle Victory Blvd. The S60 would be empty just like the S66 is.

And I can't believe anyone would come up with the absurd idea of sending the S53 or S93 up to Grymes Hills! Why would they detour the 5-12 minute headway S53 up to an area where you would only see 0-3 riders an hour? Both those routes are already a long ride and definitely don't need to be longer. Grymes Hills should receive an express bus route before anything else!

A few years ago, some S53 buses used to end trips around Clove Rd/Victory Blvd during midday hours, but headways were 15 minutes.

That was actually prior to 2005, where every other S53 trip would terminate at Clove Road & Victory Blvd but on 10 minute headways. Meaning if you were in Port Richmond, you had a 20 minute wait. These days every S53 runs the full length with only 5 minute waits during rush hours because they realized that ALOT of people travel all along the entire route.

About the S93, I agree that it should be extended to Victory/Richmond but traffic can get so bad in that area that it would kill the S93's reliability.

What should happen before all of this (below) is considered, is having the 93 run all day

(well, not exactly 24/7, but you get the point)....

That said...

The only logical way is terminated at Travis that shared with s62 Terminal spot.

I know you're addressing a possible layover area, but down there at Travis is just too far out, for the purpose of obtaining more riders @ Richmond av.... Wouldn't be worth it....

By doing that (sending buses to Travis), you defeat the purpose of the S93 anyway....

Ive seen people from Richmond & Victory walking to the College of Staten Island bus stop for s93 Limited to Brooklyn because its faster in 45 min to 1 hour. The s79 takes more than hour with lots of stops to Brooklyn.

You're absolutely right that the S93 would get to Brooklyn before taking the (S44 to the) S79 would... and I agree with you that is it quite a walk from CSI to Richmond av along victory... but I also agree w/ LRG in that, Richmond av is far too busy to have buses sitting idle along.... then you have to worry about how buses would make the return trip (the turnaround)...

Iono, it's not that I'm totally against having 93's serve Victory... it's more that, it's not all that feasible to do so.... that's pretty much why I say the 93 is good right where it is....

That is a long walk from the college front gate entrance to Richmond Avenue for about 15 to 20 minutes.

Not at all, the walk is roughly five minutes.

And I can't believe anyone would come up with the absurd idea of sending the S53 or S93 up to Grymes Hills! Why would they detour the 5-12 minute headway S53 up to an area where you would only see 0-3 riders an hour? Both those routes are already a long ride and definitely don't need to be longer. Grymes Hills should receive an express bus route before anything else!

Explain to me then what good would an express bus do other than veering a few S53s and 93s off course to Grymes Hill and then resuming regular service. The S60 route is already redundant as it is. If anything, a few southbound S53s should head to Grymes Hill and terminate there instead instead of sending a few trippers via Grymes Hill adding on time. That is where I will agree with you. But there is absolutely no need for an S60 because that bus operates on Clove Road with the S53 and S93 and terminates at Victory Boulevard, and sending limited service via Grymes Hill, with limited stops such as Wagner College and St. John's University and a stop or two in between would only add on no more than about five to seven minutes to the route (I played around with Google maps, altered the routing of traveling between Victory Boulevard/Clove Road and Howard Avenue/Clove Road and traveling the route I had suggested via car would take four minutes, but because of how buses behave, as a safety precaution, I added on three minutes to allow for bus stops and stop lights). The S60 takes 15 minutes from Victory Boulevard and Clove Road to Howard Avenue and Arlo Road.

Not at all, the walk is roughly five minutes.

5 minutes in a 1/2 mile walk.... more like jogging.

REALISTICALLY, more like 10 to 15 minutes.

15 to 20 minutes if going to cross Richmond Avenue with all the crappy vehicles avoiding pedestrians.

What should happen before all of this (below) is considered, is having the 93 run all day

(well, not exactly 24/7, but you get the point)....

That said...

I know you're addressing a possible layover area, but down there at Travis is just too far out, for the purpose of obtaining more riders @ Richmond av.... Wouldn't be worth it....

By doing that (sending buses to Travis), you defeat the purpose of the S93 anyway....

I could see s93 run all day since ridership is already increase....

AM Rush Hour: 15 min headway

Midday: 30 min headway

PM Rush hour: 20 min headway

Night hour before midnight: 40 min headway

There are non CSI students ride the s93 since MTA made stops along Narrows Rd.

You cant turnaround at Richmond Av with there is no parking with the traffic, its obviously it wont hurt to terminate at Travis since it's safe over there to turnaround layover. There is demand after the CSI in weekdays during school for s62 riders since some s62 during the day short tun at CSI.

It's not obvious that it wont hurt to terminate buses @ Travis... simply b/c it will... especially if the main objective is to have buses directly serve Richmond av..... to Travis, we're not talking about a couple short blocks away; we're talking about miles....

Basically, you want to sacrifice the reliability of the S93 by sending it to Travis just b/c you can't terminate buses along/around Richmond av? can't have it both ways...

...and the S62's that short turn @ CSI are 62's coming from the Ferry, not from Travis... lol.... I don't understand why you even brought that up.... far as demand "after" CSI, what does that have to do with the 93? If anything, that's an outcry for more frequent 62 service....

Long story short, keep the S93 where it is.... What you're suggesting in this regard isn't even worth it....

If riders have to walk to make that connection from Richmond av, so be it.

It's not obvious that it wont hurt to terminate buses @ Travis... simply b/c it will... especially if the main objective is to have buses directly serve Richmond av..... to Travis, we're not talking about a couple short blocks away; we're talking about miles....

Basically, you want to sacrifice the reliability of the S93 by sending it to Travis just b/c you can't terminate buses along/around Richmond av? can't have it both ways...

...and the S62's that short turn @ CSI are 62's coming from the Ferry, not from Travis... lol.... I don't understand why you even brought that up.... far as demand "after" CSI, what does that have to do with the 93? If anything, that's an outcry for more frequent 62 service....

Long story short, keep the S93 where it is.... What you're suggesting in this regard isn't even worth it....

If riders have to walk to make that connection from Richmond av, so be it.

Where did I say that from Travis short turning to CSI? From SI Ferry to CSI there is always short turning there. I am talking about riders who going from CSI to West (Travis) which still lots of people going to Richmond Av and avoid the walk. Thus s93 can worked out and yet the problem will be for some people who wants to terminated at Richmond which you cant turnaround unless MTA has the ability to do it. Its either, Travis; West Shore Plaza DMV; SI Mall; or leave it as like MTA do nothing for years until they finally comes up changes.

You are right about the S61. What's weird is that after 5:30PM, it runs every half-hour, but on Sundays it runs 30 minutes after 6:30PM :confused:

See, now that just makes no sense. It should have its rush hour intervals till like 7-8PM on weekdays...

Where did I say that from Travis short turning to CSI? From SI Ferry to CSI there is always short turning there. I am talking about riders who going from CSI to West (Travis) which still lots of people going to Richmond Av and avoid the walk.

Well then say that in your original reply, instead of having people trying to figure out what the hell you're conveying...

"after CSI" (that's exactly why I had it in quotes in my last post) could mean in either direction....

Thus s93 can worked out and yet the problem will be for some people who wants to terminated at Richmond which you cant turnaround unless MTA has the ability to do it. Its either, Travis; West Shore Plaza DMV; SI Mall; or leave it as like MTA do nothing for years until they finally comes up changes.

Yeah, and I'm not one of those folks who say it SHOULD terminate at Richmond, so you're preaching to the choir w/ that one....

Furthermore, this isn't about the MTA doing nothing... The point is, you don't send buses miles away from a specific destination just to terminate... I don't see how difficult a concept that is to grasp... People complain about their routes being late &/or unreliable enough as it is....

Now you bring up the DMV out there & the SI Mall as possible places to send the 93... sometimes I wonder if some of you actually sit & think about the pros & cons of your ideas, or is it just... a spur of the moment thing....

Well then say that in your original reply, instead of having people trying to figure out what the hell you're conveying...

"after CSI" (that's exactly why I had it in quotes in my last post) could mean in either direction....

Yeah, and I'm not one of those folks who say it SHOULD terminate at Richmond, so you're preaching to the choir w/ that one....

Furthermore, this isn't about the MTA doing nothing... The point is, you don't send buses miles away from a specific destination just to terminate... I don't see how difficult a concept that is to grasp... People complain about their routes being late &/or unreliable enough as it is....

Now you bring up the DMV out there & the SI Mall as possible places to send the 93... sometimes I wonder if some of you actually sit & think about the pros & cons of your ideas, or is it just... a spur of the moment thing....

B35, I think the idea to terminate a possible extended S93 at the West Shore DMV on West Shore Expressway and Victory maybe a good alternative to end/start at Richmond Ave. Plus, correct me if i am wrong but does not Short Trip S61 locals already end/start at Victory/Richmond Ave during rush hours when the Victory Blvd S91 limited operates? I disagree with your comments as taking the S79 to connect to the S89 at the Mall area is much longer for Brooklyn riders who want to go to NJ via Bayone.

Plus the DMV office in both Coney Island and Downtown Brooklyn are always busy and crowded as well so those customers going to DMV can if they have time go to the West Shore/SI DMV as well. So your replies?

B35, I think the idea to terminate a possible extended S93 at the West Shore DMV on West Shore Expressway and Victory maybe a good alternative to end/start at Richmond Ave.

Plus, correct me if i am wrong but does not Short Trip S61 locals already end/start at Victory/Richmond Ave during rush hours when the Victory Blvd S91 limited operates?

I disagree with your comments as taking the S79 to connect to the S89 at the Mall area is much longer for Brooklyn riders who want to go to NJ via Bayone.

Plus the DMV office in both Coney Island and Downtown Brooklyn are always busy and crowded as well so those customers going to DMV can if they have time go to the West Shore/SI DMV as well. So your replies?

wow...

Isn't this about the S93...

What does the S89 & Bayonne have do to with this particular discussion?

People taking the S44 to the S79 wasn't as suggestion, or isn't my opinion, it's a fact.... If that's what you weren't referring to, then I don't have a clue as to what you're supposedly disagreeing with, in regards to taking the S79....

I'm not going to address sending 93's to the DMV or to the mall, as dude just blurted out those two attractions out of frustration, and what seems to be w/o any type of thought whatsoever....

..and I don't know of the current short-turn scenario on the S61.

wow...

Isn't this about the S93...

What does the S89 & Bayonne have do to with this particular discussion?

People taking the S44 to the S79 wasn't as suggestion, or isn't my opinion, it's a fact.... If that's what you weren't referring to, then I don't have a clue as to what you're supposedly disagreeing with, in regards to taking the S79....

I'm not going to address sending 93's to the DMV or to the mall, as dude just blurted out those two attractions out of frustration, and what seems to be w/o any type of thought whatsoever....

..and I don't know of the current short-turn scenario on the S61.

The S79 is much longer to get to Richmond Ave than extending the S93 and that i suggested maybe extending the S93 to Richmond.

I agree going to Travis is way too long. I auggested this because over the summer when i railfanned on The S89 to/from NJ, at least 4-5 riders per trip would transfer to the S79 and a few even traveling to Brooklyn.Sorry i did not make it clear either.

Or maybe the best thing besides keeping the westbound S93 at CSI is, to create a rush hour only S79 for faster service between Brooklyn and western SI.

Reactions B35 on my point on faster bus service between Bay Ridge and The S89 transfer to/from NJ?

So why are you twisting your words around, if you know what Im saying??? The one who is mentioning extending to Richmond Av is Shortline Bus. Im saying again if you cant even follow the thread that short turning at Richmond wont work due to circumstances and there are options that I mention that could work. If you dont like it, well good for you. MTA who hasnt help changing the Staten Island Bus system is at fault for not keeping up the changing markets and it is still the problem as of right now. Of course you seem lazy to think it will or it wont work with the extension and that is why we are discussion it.

So why are you twisting your words around, if you know what Im saying??? The one who is mentioning extending to Richmond Av is Shortline Bus. Im saying again if you cant even follow the thread that short turning at Richmond wont work due to circumstances and there are options that I mention that could work. If you dont like it, well good for you. MTA who hasnt help changing the Staten Island Bus system is at fault for not keeping up the changing markets and it is still the problem as of right now. Of course you seem lazy to think it will or it wont work with the extension and that is why we are discussion it.

The purpose of the S93 is for the CSI students. What good would the 93 do if you choose to extend it to West Shore Plaza? Although I do agree that the S93 should also run outside of rush hours, the S46 and S96 already serve West Shore. The S62, S92 and X11 serve Travis. If anything, create an express bus route to serve West Shore.

The purpose of the S93 is for the CSI students. What good would the 93 do if you choose to extend it to West Shore Plaza? Although I do agree that the S93 should also run outside of rush hours, the S46 and S96 already serve West Shore. The S62, S92 and X11 serve Travis. If anything, create an express bus route to serve West Shore.

So lrg5784 we can agree at least that the S93 should also run all day weekdays only until 9pm(last bus to Brooklyn) including buses every 30-40 minutes middays?

Tell me where you think I twisted my words around....

I couldn't have been more direct & concise with what you just quoted of mine...

Of course you seem lazy to think it will or it wont work with the extension and that is why we are discussion it.

I'm too lazy to think it will or wont work? wtf kind of sense does that make... either you're gonna agree with something or disagree with it...

Nice try in detracting the issue though.... still haven't convinced anyone that sending 93's out to Travis would be beneficial for the route... Furthermore, yes, it is "good for me"...

...and the others that don't agree with that downright foolish idea.

Me too, I agree on increase the service hours as well.

Majority of ridership is CSI students, the s93 could expand the market outside CSI which it already has on stops between Fingerboard Rd and Richmond Rd. Going west of CSI there are many options which still you wont see it happen when there is demand.

Theres no need to create another express route on the west shore since there is x11 on victory.

I'm too lazy to think it will or wont work? wtf kind of sense does that make... either you're gonna agree with something or disagree with it...

Nice try in detracting the issue though.... still haven't convinced anyone that sending 93's out to Travis would be beneficial for the route... Furthermore, yes, it is "good for me"...

I never said to extend the S93 to Travis, that I do agree with B35. I suggested only either Richmond Ave/Victory to extend or maybe West Shore if Richmond was not possible.

You are doing that now, twisting words. You even foolish enough that you cant even admit to it. Yet you still dont even follow the thread.

You are doing that now, twisting words. You even foolish enough that you cant even admit to it. Yet you still dont even follow the thread.

Figured you couldn't point out where I'm supposedly twisting my words.... talking about I'm doing it now....lol...

Keep reaching for ways to try make my opinion on your idea less valid....

Still hurt no one agrees w/ your foolish idea... so it seems.... and yeah yeah, I don't care if you don't care, so spare that...

either way, sounds like a personal problem dude.

The S79 is much longer to get to Richmond Ave than extending the S93 and that i suggested maybe extending the S93 to Richmond.

I agree going to Travis is way too long. I auggested this because over the summer when i railfanned on The S89 to/from NJ, at least 4-5 riders per trip would transfer to the S79 and a few even traveling to Brooklyn. Sorry i did not make it clear either.

Or maybe the best thing besides keeping the westbound S93 at CSI is, to create a rush hour only S79 for faster service between Brooklyn and western SI.

Reactions B35 on my point on faster bus service between Bay Ridge and The S89 transfer to/from NJ?

No worries fam...

What I'm saying is, if it were feasible to send buses to end @ Richmond av, I can see where it would be beneficial... but since it's not, the MTA may as well keep S93's @ CSI... that's my stance on that matter...

as far as attempting to make bus service faster b/w the more western part of SI, and Brooklyn.... Could you elaborate more on what you want the S79 to do? b/c currently, the S79 goes as far north as the northern border of the (parking lot of the) mall....

Judging by the map:

• Make a new S3 with the following routing:

Starts at S46 terminal (West Shore Plaza).

Then, goes via Travis Avenue across Victory Blvd and to Richmond Av.

Turn on Richmond Avenue and go to Richmond Hill Road.

Turn on Richmond Hill Road and go to Richmond Road.

From Richmond Rd & Richmond Hill Rd, follow X15 to Amboy Rd. & Guyon Av.

From there, follow S57 to Hylan Blvd and Guyon Av.

From there, follow X8 route to Seaview Avenue & Father Capodanno Blvd.

From there, follow S52 route to SI University Hospital North.

Nobody seems to have anything to say about this route.

So lrg5784 we can agree at least that the S93 should also run all day weekdays only until 9pm(last bus to Brooklyn) including buses every 30-40 minutes middays?

Absolutely. The school is open every day, not just from 6-9 and from 3-9.

I agree going to Travis is way too long. I auggested this because over the summer when i railfanned on The S89 to/from NJ, at least 4-5 riders per trip would transfer to the S79 and a few even traveling to Brooklyn.Sorry i did not make it clear either.

Are you saying that there should be a rush-hour variant of the S79, called the "S99"???

Archived