Staten Island Division: 2010 and beyond

S78 via Hylan

Are you saying that there should be a rush-hour variant of the S79, called the "S99"???

Yup. Even a consulting group paid for by the (MTA) in a study of possible SBS routes, suggested either a SBS or limited stop service for the Hylan Coordior between Clove Road and Richmond Ave preferably for the S79 about 2-3 years ago.

Personally i think only a weekday limited stop is needed for the S79. Hylan is also close to the SI Railway so riders on weekends can use that train line for faster service. There are other areas of the city that need SBS more first than anything on SI.

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yup. Even a consulting group paid for by the (MTA) in a study of possible SBS routes, suggested either a SBS or limited stop service for the Hylan Coordior between Clove Road and Richmond Ave preferably for the S79 about 2-3 years ago.

Personally i think only a weekday limited stop is needed for the S79. Hylan is also close to the SI Railway so riders on weekends can use that train line for faster service.

It's a pity that the +SBS for the S79 was canned. From what I heard, it had something to do with loss of parking space. Maybe SBS is not really needed for the S79. A weekday limited would do the S79 good.

There are other areas of the city that need SBS more first than anything on SI.

Yep, which is why the M15 is next in line for getting SBS next, which I say would put riders at ease, and would probably encourage East Side IRT riders to make use of the M15 and avoid getting on a packed (4) or (5), or even a (6) train.

It's a pity that the +SBS for the S79 was canned. From what I heard, it had something to do with loss of parking space. Maybe SBS is not really needed for the S79. A weekday limited would do the S79 good.

Yep, which is why the M15 is next in line for getting SBS next, which I say would put riders at ease, and would probably encourage East Side IRT riders to make use of the M15 and avoid getting on a packed (4) or (5), or even a (6) train.

Yeah that's the same reason the Q5 SBS plans were thrown out.

The plans are still on the table and this one looks more revised and what SBS SHOULD be, I wouldnt be to quick to say that it actually got canned. Plus with Charleston Depot being a depot that can be artic equipped, I wouldnt count this plan to be shot down yet.

http://www.mta.info/mta/planning/sbs/images/hylan.pdf

I LOVE the idea of center island stations! Plus with the bypass lanes, traffic would still move along smoothly!

I don't know... A limited is good enough for the S79. Otherwise, people can take the (SIR) and transfer. I like the SBS idea though....

Here's my idea:

Toward 86 St in the 5:45AM-8:00AM and toward the S.I. Mall from 4:00PM-7:00PM. Note: when limited buses run, local buses do not. Use S59 and S78 for local.

The plans are still on the table and this one looks more revised and what SBS SHOULD be, I wouldnt be to quick to say that it actually got canned. Plus with Charleston Depot being a depot that can be artic equipped, I wouldnt count this plan to be shot down yet.

http://www.mta.info/mta/planning/sbs/images/hylan.pdf

I LOVE the idea of center island stations! Plus with the bypass lanes, traffic would still move along smoothly!

Interesting...I'm going to look over this some more. Thanks for the link! The center islands look very interesting, if I must say.

I don't know... A limited is good enough for the S79. Otherwise, people can take the (SIR) and transfer. I like the SBS idea though....

Here's my idea:

Toward 86 St in the 5:45AM-8:00AM and toward the S.I. Mall from 4:00PM-7:00PM. Note: when limited buses run, local buses do not. Use S59 and S78 for local.

A limited would relieve the crowding a bit, but on the flipside, imagine how much people would be waiting just for the limited.

What I thought was good idea was to have a batch of artics go to Charleston ones the depot officially opens, it would relieve the crowding by alot on the S79. And the streets that the S79 run along arent that narrow at all. But the SBS would be better because buses will be running close to or nearby each other. Lessens the load on the local runs which is pretty good

s79 SBS is dead issue. MTA took off of the table when NIMBY here their calls.

Well idk all about that now but the S79 SBS plan is still on their website.

http://www.mta.info/mta/planning/sbs/projectupdate.htm

A limited would relieve the crowding a bit, but on the flipside, imagine how much people would be waiting just for the limited.

What I thought was good idea was to have a batch of artics go to Charleston ones the depot officially opens, it would relieve the crowding by alot on the S79. And the streets that the S79 run along arent that narrow at all. But the SBS would be better because buses will be running close to or nearby each other. Lessens the load on the local runs which is pretty good

Well idk all about that now but the S79 SBS plan is still on their website.

http://www.mta.info/mta/planning/sbs/projectupdate.htm

Well, I would put some artics at Yukon since the S79 runs right by it and the depot is giving almost half of it's routes to Charleston when it opens.

If you ask me, it looks like the SBS still has a chance, now that they revamped the idea. The center lanes look like they'll do wonders for the buses. The best part would be that it's a bus-only lane, and since there's only one, that's less roadway space the lane would take up as opposed to two lanes, as seen in the Bronx. Reverse peak buses can just use the regular street lanes. I hope this plan goes through.

I just thought of one fallback: Since the S79 shares layover with the B64 in Bay Ridge, putting artics on the route might be an issue otherwise, they would have to layover on 4 Av from 90 St to 86 St.

They may have to alter the bus route again....

^ nah, not even...

I just thought of one fallback: Since the S79 shares layover with the B64 in Bay Ridge, putting artics on the route might be an issue otherwise, they would have to layover on 4 Av from 90 St to 86 St.

Simple deduction...

Have the B64 dropoff on the corner of 86th & 4th... only difference is 64's would dropoff on 86th st, instead of on 4th... we're only talking about a few feet around the corner there.... and it's not like the frequency (of buses) on the 64 are too high anyway...

Would be interesting to see SBS along the S79 though.... Something like terminal space shouldn't be the end-all be-all of such a plan.

^ nah, not even...

Simple deduction...

Have the B64 dropoff on the corner of 86th & 4th... only difference is 64's would dropoff on 86th st, instead of on 4th... we're only talking about a few feet around the corner there.... and it's not like the frequency (of buses) on the 64 are too high anyway...

Would be interesting to see SBS along the S79 though.... Something like terminal space shouldn't be the end-all be-all of such a plan.

That could work out well.

I would make it go down 4th Avenue and turn it where the B8 turns.

If it were up to me this is how i would run it.

B64 current route westbound then straight on 86th, left on 4th Avenue

then down 4th and terminate at the B8 stop(in front of (R) station/by the libary)

New Stops: 87th St at 4th Ave(S93 terminal) 92nd St/4th Ave(B8 stop)

Eastbound(Stillwell Terminal Bound)

4th Avenue, right on Marine Avenue, right on 3rd Avenue, right on 86th St, then current route.

New Stops: Marine Ave at 3rd Avenue, 92nd St/3rd, 88th/3rd, 86th St/4th Avenue (B16 Stop), then current route to CI.

Reactions?

If it were up to me this is how i would run it.

B64 current route westbound then straight on 86th, left on 4th Avenue

then down 4th and terminate at the B8 stop(in front of (R) station/by the libary)

New Stops: 87th St at 4th Ave(S93 terminal) 92nd St/4th Ave(B8 stop)

Eastbound(Stillwell Terminal Bound)

4th Avenue, right on Marine Avenue, right on 3rd Avenue, right on 86th St, then current route.

New Stops: Marine Ave at 3rd Avenue, 92nd St/3rd, 88th/3rd, 86th St/4th Avenue (B16 Stop), then current route to CI.

Reactions?

Agreed. Now back to topic, this is my idea for S79 +select bus service headways: rush hours 5-7 minutes, middays 12 minutes, evenings 10-15 minutes, weekends 8-10 minutes.

Agreed. Now back to topic, this is my idea for S79 +select bus service headways: rush hours 5-7 minutes, middays 12 minutes, evenings 10-15 minutes, weekends 8-10 minutes.

Fine by me. If anything, just make the S79 local run at night every 40 minutes. It may just as well have to anyway.

IMO, the S79 only needs 'limited stop' weekday and maybe Saturday(appx 8am-7pm) service for near future as their are other areas of the city that need it much more like yesterday. Some that come to mind not listed include Main St in Queens=Q20/44, Utica Ave=B46, Flatbush=B41, 3rd Avenue in Bronx=Bx15/55 and Brewer Blvd in Southeast Queens=Q111/113 should be ahead of anything in SI.

I do agree with S78 via Hyland on the incresed headways for the S79.

However if the (MTA) and the DOT decide to create SBS comes to the Hylan Coordior, there is no need for Sunday S79 sbs service. Also SBS service should end based on current ridership pattern at about 9pm weekdays and 7pm Saturdays.

Also being realistic i disagree with igr and if overnight service came to the S79 imo, it likely have 1-hour headways. The (MTA) will likely do it that way, so that most of Hylan between Clove Rd. and Richmond Ave, riders can be scheduled to get a bus every 30 minutes on either the S78 or 79.

Just my takes.

IMO, the S79 only needs 'limited stop' weekday and maybe Saturday(appx 8am-7pm) service for near future as their are other areas of the city that need it much more like yesterday. Some that come to mind not listed include Main St in Queens=Q20/44, Utica Ave=B46, Flatbush=B41, 3rd Avenue in Bronx=Bx15/55 and Brewer Blvd in Southeast Queens=Q111/113 should be ahead of anything in SI.

I do agree with S78 via Hyland on the incresed headways for the S79.

However if the (MTA) and the DOT decide to create SBS comes to the Hylan Coordior, there is no need for Sunday S79 sbs service. Also SBS service should end based on current ridership pattern at about 9pm weekdays and 7pm Saturdays.

Also being realistic i disagree with igr and if overnight service came to the S79 imo, it likely have 1-hour headways. The (MTA) will likely do it that way, so that most of Hylan between Clove Rd. and Richmond Ave, riders can be scheduled to get a bus every 30 minutes on either the S78 or 79.

Just my takes.

That's what I suggest first; the S79 have a limited. And yes, those routes you mentioned do need it.

Pardon me if I missed it, but is there a bus from the St. George terminal that goes over the Bayonne Bridge to connect with the light rail?

Nope, but a bus that passes through the Eltingville Transit Center, the S89, does.

Archived