Woodhaven residents track cars with non-New York license plates parked

Harry

Fed up with out-of-state cars that hog parking spots for weeks at a time, a group of Queens residents have pledged to take matters into their own hands.

Members of the Woodhaven Residents Block Association will now track cars with non-New York plates and report them to their home states if they are parked in the same spot for extended periods of time.

"We started looking for outside-the-box solutions for some of the quality-of-life issues," said Edward Wendell, president of the association. "One resident said she hasn't been able to get a parking spot on her block for over a year."

It's unclear whether these vehicles belong to visitors or local residents who illegally register them in states such as Florida or Maryland where car insurance is cheaper.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/ny_local/queens/2010/01/14/2010-01-14_fighting_parking_spot_pigs.html#ixzz0cb19Kwf7

post-1-133288581567_thumb.jpg

post-1-133288581567_thumb.jpg

That's technically insurance fraud.

correct its that. This been a problem for years with NYC residents getting out of state plates. It used to be mainly NJ, now it all over the east coast going as far as North Carolina and Flordia as well.

The only problem this article does not seem address is those car owners is those NY State residents who claim live in NYC ie just work there who actually live in places like Suffolk County Long Island-Ulster County (kingston, NY) who also does the same scheme.:confused:

This may seem stupid idea but what about just a national state dmv system like in most of Europe where the insurance is based on the zip code/town you live in, not the state to combat this issue?

Out of state plates are legal as long as you go to that state to get inspected, and have a physical address there (not P.O. box) that you reside at least one day of the year. I know people from utah who have a beach house in NJ, and they have NJ plates (legit).

- A

Out of state plates are legal as long as you go to that state to get inspected, and have a physical address there (not P.O. box) that you reside at least one day of the year. I know people from utah who have a beach house in NJ, and they have NJ plates (legit).

- A

I knew of people when i still lived in NYC who got out of state plates mainly Vermont and Del. by only using the po box adress and never a physical address. I am not sure it changed but those 2 formentioned states requirements to get their plates/licnese was easy.

These block association people are out of their minds. There is no law stating how long a car with out of state plates can be out of state for and even if they were local plates they would still be taking up parking. They are just mad that they have to pay higher insurance than the people with the out of state plates.

There is also no law stating how long a car can be parked on oublic streets that have no signs stating parking times/rules. Sure some of them may be insurance fraud but not all and really nothing is going to happen to these people when their tags are reported to the home states. You have to contact the insurance company and prove it to them that these owners of the cars with tags are committing insurance fraud. There is also no law stating how long a car has to be in its home state.

If I own a house in Virginia and a house in NYC and my car has Virginia tags, who is anyone to tell me that I cant have my car with Virginia tags in NYC for extended periods of time? These people need to get a life and worry about more important things in Woodhaven since they are a block association.

The car in the picture looks like a stolen/abandoned car.

If these cars are parked for that long in the same exact spot without moving ever then they are most likely stolen or abandoed and it should be obvious but no police officer or traffic enforcement agent is documenting it or doing anything about it. Sanitation isnt involved because its not being reported as abandoned.

Commonse sense says if a car with a broken window or flat tires has been in the same spot for months, then it probably is not legit.

Those are the people who are responsible for dealing with it not block associations. Its like when we saw a stolen corvette left in the middle of the street with the doors open. It was obviously stolen and was even reported to police officers sitting in their van 3 blocks away and they just looked at us like we were stupid for telling them and the car sat there for 3 days after that and someone eventually torched it. 3 days in the middle of the street.

Those PA plates are most likely scams when they find out 5,000 cars are registered to 1 address and those are the people who are creating insurance fraud and will get caught.

I think you are supposed to register your car in NY State if you are here for over 30 days.

The 30 day rule is that you have 30 days to register your car in New York IF you become a resident of NY. It does not necessarily apply to people who do not give up their primary residency in another state (i.e. a person working here on temporary assignment and living in hotels)

These block association people are out of their minds. There is no law stating how long a car with out of state plates can be out of state for and even if they were local plates they would still be taking up parking. They are just mad that they have to pay higher insurance than the people with the out of state plates.

There is also no law stating how long a car can be parked on oublic streets that have no signs stating parking times/rules. Sure some of them may be insurance fraud but not all and really nothing is going to happen to these people when their tags are reported to the home states. You have to contact the insurance company and prove it to them that these owners of the cars with tags are committing insurance fraud. There is also no law stating how long a car has to be in its home state.

If I own a house in Virginia and a house in NYC and my car has Virginia tags, who is anyone to tell me that I cant have my car with Virginia tags in NYC for extended periods of time? These people need to get a life and worry about more important things in Woodhaven since they are a block association.

I'm all for what the Woodhaven block association is doing. If you have out-of-state plates, and you live & work in New York, then you need to have New York plates. Otherwise you are nothing more than a fraud and a cheat, and you deserve whatever stress is heaped upon you.

Why in the hell should I pay $1700 a year for insurance while you pay $600, because you know someone who lives down south?

Another annoying thing about this is, trying to look for parking and all the spots right where you live have cars hogging up spots with either a chysler 300 with 24" rims that looks tacky as hell with nc plates or a 91 honda civic with pa plates with carbon fiber race hoods and giant tailpipes and you see on the bottom corner of the windsheild an outline where there used to be a ny regi sticker scratched off . Its getting out of hand.

Most of the time these are young people and there grandmamas or aunties that live out of state so they register the car under name and get away with a ton of shit here.

Insurance is a scam. If you pay for insurance for 12 months and dont get into an accident then why dont they give most if not all of the money back to you? And why is it that if you get into an accident they raise your rates? The purpose of insurance is to put money into a policy incase you have an accident so you and the other party are covered so why raise rates?

Did you know that definitions of words you thought you knew are not the same as what they legally have been made?

For instance... the word ACCIDENT

In the natural world accident means: an unforeseen and unplanned event or circumstance b : lack of intention or necessity

In the legal world of insurance/DMV it has been redefined to mean: Includes an intentional collision,

So if you tell the police officer, Hey I got into an accident you could actually be confessing to intentionally colliding with another vehicle.

Archived